PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

2015 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• allybee101
    Options
    Finally got things moving out of my flat again - seemed to hit a decluttering lull whilst life was being hectic.

42. Blue and green glass dish - paint was coming of so bin rather than charity shop
    43. Carrier bag of cardboard and plastic - recycling
    44. Tatty A4 lever arch folder - cardboard in recycling, metal bit in bag for tip
    45. Carrier bag of paper - recycling
    46. Broken pen - bin
    47. Various sheets of wrapping paper and gift bag - wrapped a friend's birthday present - will be gone this weekend. Managed to pull various types into a loose theme so not completely mismatched, it looks almost crafty!
    I have realised that I have unnecessarily kept lots of other ribbon bits/ cut offs/ ends which cannot be crafted into anything pretty- will sort through tonight and bin! Should be quite a quick task!

Sorted through a big heap of paper last night which was very rewarding. Found the online banking paperwork for the 0% balance transfer card I applied for that arrived 2 weeks ago. Balanced transferred so 0% for 15 months which is v helpful - decluttering some interest!
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • CookieMonsta
    CookieMonsta Posts: 296 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2015 at 8:49PM
    Options
    119. Old cat toy that was so tangled up with some cables that I had to cut it off! - binned

120. Old walking boots that are really worn out, and I've got a new pair. Down from 3 pairs to one now :) - binned
    Decluttering 2015: 2162/2015
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fairy3 wrote: »
    3. selection of old specs - do chazzers take these?

I took some to an opticians - think it was Specsavers - and they were glad to have them.
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 January 2015 at 11:04PM
    Options
    Well,that's one way to declutter:have the car burst into flames and be written off icon_eek.gif.
    It is true: as I returned home,the car bonnet started "steaming" a bit.By the time I parked,got out of the car and into the house,smoke was rising over the height of the houses :eek:.I phoned for the fire brigade(twice,first when looked like it was just smoking,then,panicking a bit more, when the bonnet had melted onto the road!!).
    Fortunately all insured,but I think we will be without a car for a couple of days.Still.life could have been alot worse.............

In the traditional decluttering sense,on my way home before the car died,I had stopped at Sainsbury's and asked if their plastic bag recycling bins are for the thick plastic bags,as opposed to the thinner,supermarket bags.Yes,I was told,that is fine.So I took 5 large plastic bags,over-flowing with more plastic bags,and showed them to the same lady at Customer Services,confirming the type I was talking about.She said they are fine for recycling (I never knew that).
    So,
    3: plastic bags finally out of the house.That particular collection has been crammed into a small vertical space in my kitchen for at least 3 years,probably abit longer.Tut tut.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    Options
    Casati wrote: »
    164. Old unused receipt book that still has '19_ _' printed in the date section :eek:

Glad you mentioned that - I've just gone and looked at one that I have got, and it is exactly the same! It's a book of 80 receipts and I've only used 18 of them. It's in really good condition though so I don't think I will bin it just yet though not sure when I'd use it again. It still has the price on it - 69p.

Unfortunately I don't know when I last used it as it is one with counterfoils which I must have ripped out years ago. I've been the treasurer of various groups over the years.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Saver-upper I'm so sorry to hear about your car, just pleased you're okay

Yet more shredding, where does it all come from?!
    Three old tea towels in bag to take to DD for the dogs - got some new ones for Christmas, how thoughtful :p
    Decanted 5 partially full bottles of tan lotion into two, 3 empties in rc.
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    fairy3 wrote: »
    Random items found but have no idea what to do with
    1. Hockey stick (childs)
    2. hearth set in shape of a knight for an open fire (have no idea)
    Charity shops will take these
    Well,that's one way to declutter:have the car burst into flames and be written off icon_eek.gif.
    It is true: as I returned home,the car bonnet started "steaming" a bit.By the time I parked,got out of the car and into the house,smoke was rising over the height of the houses :eek:.I phoned for the fire brigade(twice,first when looked like it was just smoking,then,panicking a bit more, when the bonnet had melted onto the road!!).
    Fortunately all insured,but I think we will be without a car for a couple of days.Still.life could have been alot worse.............
    How scary :eek: Glad you okay and that it's covered by the insurance - Phew !!

I had a mad fit today and decluttered the fridge. All odd ends and OD stuff gone. Emptied jars and bottles, washed and recycled.

Hope you have a great Friday

Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    Options
    Another item collected today by a Freegler. It was an electronic typewriter which had cost me more when I bought it than an average laptop today!

Glad to see it go to someone who could make use of it. You can still get the ribbons for it - the ones I passed on with it (unused) could have dried out.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • allybee101
    Options
    Fairy, Mumof2 is right - lots of opticians will take old glasses for charity.
    Specsavers definitely do, might be worth calling independents as well.
    I recycled my old-old pair when I got new glasses in November.
    So new ones are in regular use (pair 1) and last pair (pair 2) are in the car in case I have a contact lens emergency when driving. The previous pair that were in the car (pair 3) were taken to the opticians when I picked up pair 1.
    Hope that makes sense!
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options

:eek: Scary!
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business