We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Boyfriend disclosed he visited a prostitute in India one year before we got together

Options

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    Prostitution is not illegal in the UK.

Many of the ways one may find a prostitute in the UK have been criminalised, and it is illegal to operate a brothel (which has a silly definition legally) but it is not actually illegal to pay for sex, or to accept payment for sex.

Oh but it is illegal to pay a man/woman who has been trafficked or is otherwise being exploited, whether the client is aware of this status or not, for sex.

Yes you're right Tropez, my mistake!
  • trollopscarletwoman
    Options
    How would you find out if someone has been trafficked or not?

Best not to risk it I suppose.

Just glad I'm not a punter in this market.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry but if my OH told me this I'd lose a lot of respect for him.

Me too but if he really regretted it and was honest about it I'd be more inclined to let it go.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's your views on him (or yourself) sourcing products ethically - for example, clothes made by labourers (sometimes children) paid a pittance?
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    How would you find out if someone has been trafficked or not?

Best not to risk it I suppose.

Just glad I'm not a punter in this market.

Generally in the UK, although not always, those who have been trafficked are found in brothels (because their pimps don't want them getting outside and finding help).

Some are found on the streets though but there's usually quite the army of heavies watching them at all times. They tend not to do this though as street prostitution is illegal and it brings unwanted attention from the authorities when they get wind of it.
  • suicidebob
    Options
    Why not just ask him for £1.50 every time he has sex with you?

That way you punish him for his misdemeanour, and you build up a savings fund for a new frock
  • Confused5
    Options
    krlyr wrote: »
    What's your views on him (or yourself) sourcing products ethically - for example, clothes made by labourers (sometimes children) paid a pittance?

I am not happy with slavery in any of its various forms. I do own electrical gadgets and it must be true that someone was harmed in their making. This is not okay at all, but I think it would signal an even greater lack of empathy if I approached a slave, paid them pennies for an item and walked away happy that I was able to buy a cheap item. Him not feeling that bothers me.
  • Confused5
    Options
    suicidebob wrote: »
    Why not just ask him for £1.50 every time he has sex with you?

That way you punish him for his misdemeanour, and you build up a savings fund for a new frock

What the hell??? That's an incredibly snide remark.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    From another point of view, what if this prostitute did not attract any punters. What would happen to her then? Would she be liberated, or would she have no money? If she was being pimped and did not bring in any money, what would happen to her then? I don't think that would be a good situation for her either.
  • suicidebob
    Options
    Confused5 wrote: »
    What the hell??? That's an incredibly snide remark.

Your partner obviously thought £1 was a good price, but you could maybe negotiate him up a bit more given the cost of living over here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport