12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)

Options

Comments

• vanilla8
    vanilla8 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    April, I went to both Shepherd's Bush and Stratford Westfield for H&M and the Stratford one had the biggest selection. These tops are perfect sizing for me
    http://m2.hm.com/m/en_gb/productpage.0398074025.html
    http://m2.hm.com/m/en_gb/productpage.0398622003.html
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    april87 wrote: »

Penguin, I find sleeping with a pillow at my side helps me get comfy. We booked the NCT classes, start in April. Booked them as a few folk have passed comments on our NHS ones and I wanted to make friends, and the NCT ones are the same group throughout. .

Yes I have found a pillow helps, but last night I started tossing and turning so much that I you hot and then the pillow got thrown on the floor! Oops.

Our nct classes are March, they're 3 sessions in the same week (Sat/Wed/Sat) . I'm going to book the NHS ones too as it includes a tour of the unit which will be helpful. Both are a bit frustrating as they include Wednesday evenings and that is night OH tends to work away so we'll have to check the dates work out. But we'll sort something.

Looks like we're all in declutter mode! Our study is going to become the nursery and we're going to get a smaller desk for the spare room (OH works at home so we need it). Once we know the sex we're going to start thinking about nursery decor which is exciting! I think it will also help with names.
  • cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    Hey ladies. Just wanted to drop by and say on clothing etc I have two tips - firstly, it's fine to just buy normal stuff and stretch it. I have some bits from H&M in my usual size because they didn't have much choice in maternity, and I've just accepted they'll stretch. I'd have spent £15 on a maternity version anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Second tip is, annoying as it sounds, be patient. I went into ASOS maternity jeans at 16 weeks - could have carried on in my usuals with a hairband but obviously the button is lower on maternity ones which was much more comfy, however the bump band on them felt ridiculous for ages as I had no bump!! But by around 24 weeks I was very grateful for it. So there is an annoying phase where you're essentially too big for normal but too small for maternity - but it does pass :) Having said that, I still (at 30 weeks) only have maybe 10 things which are actually maternity - 3 tops, 3 dresses + tights/leggings as there is so little choice - I'm hoping I can just about last now!!

For other thoughts - I'm not doing NCT but my NHS ones are early Feb and I have hypnobirthing this Saturday, so if anyone is interested I can update after :)

Hope you are all well :)
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • firebird082
    Options
    cats2012 wrote: »
    For other thoughts - I'm not doing NCT but my NHS ones are early Feb and I have hypnobirthing this Saturday, so if anyone is interested I can update after :)

Thanks Cats - I'm definitely interested in your thoughts on hypnobirthing, as we're thinking of doing that. Also intrigued to hear about the NHS antenatal class - haven't really investigated much yet!
  • april87
    april87 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cats I would definitely like to hear how your Hypnobirthing goes, I've read a book on it and quite interested. I just need to make that jump and book it.

Vanilla, thanks I will make sure I pay Stratford a visit at least, see how I get on.
  • cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    Firebird neither had I to be honest! At my last midwife appointment she just asked if I wanted them and as NCT doesn't work for us I said why not. I've got a full Sunday of general birth/early days stuff and then a specific 1 hour session on active labour, including a tour of the hospital.

Will keep you all updated on hypnobirthing - I'm really excited but I think OH is a bit cynical!!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Friend who gave birth in sept used hypnobirthing. Birth didn't go to plan at all but she said she'd found it very helpful to stay calm when having to make decisions that led up to emergency section etc.

I know midwifery service runs sessions specifically about breastfeeding and they include saturday ones at local infirmary (walking distance) so I'll get us onto that. Haven't thought further than that

I've just got the xmas tree out which is a key part of the turn my 'office' into nursery plan so I can set my desk up downstairs. So I need to clean up the needles and carry on shifting stuff. We need to get the nursery painted neutral pretty soon as the carpet shop are holding the carpet for us, having done two rooms already with it. The paintinng and carpeting would be done anyway so not 'too soon'
    Sister will be adding murals later- probably Winnie the Pooh. We're not intending on finding out sex so it's all going to be appropriate for either.
  • Kanichen
    Kanichen Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    For those of you struggling for jeans etc, its worth looking on ebay/facebook for second hand bundles. It gives you an opportunity to try different brands for normally less than the cost of a single new pair. I bought very little maternity wear new first time around and so far nothing this time, despite having to replace half of my stuff as I'm now smaller than I was first time around!

I would strongly recommend the NCT classes -we did them with our first and 4 of the couples are now very close friends and our daughters are all best buddies. I couldn't have got through maternity leave without them. Its so reassuring to meet for coffee and cake and say 'my baby is doing this - is yours?' and get a resounding 'yes' back from the room!
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    Vanilla hope your scan went well.

We had our scan at 20+5 this afternoon, all looking good, we are having a little boy! Not a huge surprise tbh as OH was sure he'd seen something at the scan at 13+5. Everything else looked OK, although he was very wriggly and hiding his head/face. We couldn't get him to move enough and she wanted a good view due to family history of cleft palate, so we're going back again on 16th for another peek. We didn't even bother getting photos this time as he either looked like a frog and in one shot you could only see the bottom of this foot! Hoping for a more photogenic baby next scan! We saw the doctor again and they've decided to discharge me from consultant care unless the next scan flags up anything, so we're happy with that. I had my whooping cough jab too so got a sore arm now!

Hope everyone is doing ok
  • sweetbabu
    sweetbabu Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Glad the scan went well, Penguin.

They are little monkeys when they want to be, even before they're born!

I had my 16 week midwife appointment (at 17+3) and she asked if I'd felt any movement, then listened for the heartbeat. She actually had to pin the baby down as it wouldn't stop moving - she had one hand pressing down on one side of my belly and the doppler pressing the other so she could hear it. DD cried again :rotfl:

I don't have my exemption cert and, when I asked, she said I could get it from her after my 20 week scan. It is a long time since DD was born, but I was sure I got it at my first midwife appointment. Anyone else have to wait?

I don't think we're going to do the NCT classes. I said to OH that it was up to him if he wanted to go and we would; I thought it might help answer any questions that he may have. But I'm happy with the NHS ones. Mainly because you get a tour of the birthing suites.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback