12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)

Options

Comments

• firebird082
    Options
    sweetbabu wrote: »
    I don't have my exemption cert and, when I asked, she said I could get it from her after my 20 week scan. It is a long time since DD was born, but I was sure I got it at my first midwife appointment. Anyone else have to wait?

I was asked for it when I went to the dentist, but didn't have it (because I haven't actually been to my surgery at all yet!). 16 week appointment hasn't arrived yet (now 17 weeks), but I'm not sure I can be bothered to pester the hospital about it again, so may just wait for the scan, which I DO have an appointment for...madness. It does seem completely crazy that if you don't chase everyone all the time then you basically don't get any appointments. I mean, I know pregnancy isn't an illness, but these are standard appointments for *everyone*, so how can the unit be so utterly useless at booking them?! I can't stand inefficiency in any form, so it's driving me mad :(

I am slightly concerned that everyone else seems to be in maternity clothing at this stage, and I don't feel pregnant at all! Sure I will catch up sooner or later - I suppose most of my trousers have had a spare inch or two pre-pregnancy, and now fit nicely!

I had a bit of a look at car seats/prams and the like in the online sales, but since we are trying to buy a replacement car at the moment, we can't buy a car seat until we know what we're getting, which also precludes (probably) buying all the other bits.

We only have a 2 bed, so there's not going to be a 'nursury' as such - baby will have it's cot in the spare bedroom, which will still have computer etc in for some time, until we've managed to do the downstairs extension...my Mum did suggest that perhaps moving house would be easier! I'm starting to think she might be right, but I've spent too much money and effort on this garden to even consider that :rotfl:
  • sweetbabu
    sweetbabu Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    They do seem to be dragging their heels, don't they? :o I have to say my actual midwifery/sonography staff have been fantastic, but the admin support do somewhat let them down.

Don't worry about the clothes, I'm pretty sure there's only a few days between us and I'm still in my normal jeans too.

I said to OH the other day that I didn't know what as worse - all the symptoms of the earlier trimester, or the nothingness of the past few weeks (until I let movement) and wishing for symptoms/a sign to show that I was still pregnant :o He is absolutely desperate to be able to feel movement, bless him.

We have a three bed, but I work from home and can't exactly set up on the dining room table. So, baby will be in with us until we can afford to upgrade - or buy a cabin for our ground behind the house, just outside the garden.

Our scan isn't until 26th January, and I think were going to find out what were having.
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    I got my maternity exemption form at my first midwife appointment, so definitely seems to vary! Your maternity certificate is valid for a month prior to when they receive it, so if you know you're about to get it you're fine to not pay for prescriptions, dentists etc. I got my matb1 form today as well.
  • vanilla8
    vanilla8 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,maternity exemption form was filled out by my GP after 12 week
    Scan, my midwifes wouldn't do it!

Glad your scan went well Penguin. Had my scan yesterday and very much the same- baby lying awkwardly and not photogenic! We too are having a boy! Had to go for a walk and some cold water to get baby to move for heart measurements. Pleased everything is all OK seeing as though not feeling any movement at all!
  • april87
    april87 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah glad the scan went well Penguin :) a little boy ☺

Glad the appt went well Sweet, your DD is so cute. I got my exemption certificate at my booking in appt. I would def ask about that one.

Fire I wouldn't worry about the maternity clothes side of things, I have one pair of jeans and it's more for comfort than anything. I'm 19 weeks tomorrow and I have little to no bump. I just feel chubby. Practically all my symptoms are gone and I'm not convinced I've felt movement yet. I've been told not to worry or overthink it as it will happen, and once it does it the bump it becomes a bit harder to do certain things. I would also ask about your appt, my next one has always gotten booked after my last.

Vanilla glad your scan went well too! Another boy!! 😍
  • cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    Ladies def don't worry about maternity clothes - I went into the jeans just for comfort on long days at work because my "bump" although barely there was right on the point where my normal ones would do up. I didn't show at all until gone 20 weeks - people didn't believe how far gone I was when I was telling them!

I only really went into maternity clothes post about 25 weeks, and even now I have plenty of non maternity stuff I'm still wearing and I'm almost 31 weeks! I just get complemented for being so "neat" so I'm not complaining :-)
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • poddle911
    poddle911 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It's crazy how much things vary - not just individuals, but midwives and mat units - but reassuring I think. Firebird, sorry that your GP etc has been so useless! All my appts and scans have been efficient and I got my exemption certificate at first midwife appt. I also picked up a prescription at about 7 weeks without it and they gave me my flu jab at the same time.

Glad your scans went well Vanilla, Sweet and Penguin! Ours is in 2 weeks and OH keen to find out what we're having - I think he just wants to have as much info as possible in advance!

We have not bought a single thing so it's good to hear about your research and purchases! (But trying not to get freaked out...)

I'm 19 weeks and enjoying my first pair of maternity jeans - definitely have a bump but no other symptoms and not felt any movements yet. Again, trying not to freak out!

Oh Cats, I definitely don't think it's going to be a neat pregnancy for me �� I'm keeping active and still seeing PT once or twice a week, but fairly sure I'm going to be huge!

Sorry for the mammoth update! Nice to catch up on everyone's news though. Here's to an exciting 2017!
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    Options
    sweetbabu wrote: »
    Glad the scan went well, Penguin.

They are little monkeys when they want to be, even before they're born!

I had my 16 week midwife appointment (at 17+3) and she asked if I'd felt any movement, then listened for the heartbeat. She actually had to pin the baby down as it wouldn't stop moving - she had one hand pressing down on one side of my belly and the doppler pressing the other so she could hear it. DD cried again :rotfl:

I don't have my exemption cert and, when I asked, she said I could get it from her after my 20 week scan. It is a long time since DD was born, but I was sure I got it at my first midwife appointment. Anyone else have to wait?

I don't think we're going to do the NCT classes. I said to OH that it was up to him if he wanted to go and we would; I thought it might help answer any questions that he may have. But I'm happy with the NHS ones. Mainly because you get a tour of the birthing suites.

I got my exemption cert just after seeing midwife- got nurse to sign it when I had flu jab. So had it from about 6 weeks. Now 14 + 3. Of course GP and I then decided I was coming off the regular prescriptions of sertraline so I'm not even taking advantage of it. Need to book to see dentist (am putting this off as I am frightened) but that's not NHS. And I wouldn't change dentist for all the money in the world now.

So your midwife is wrong I think.
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    Options
    I'm back in my normal jeans for now after the bloating has gone down although they can get a bit uncomfortable by the evening- hair band is sorting it. I currently have the family christmas cold so not feeling that brilliant.

Actually came on to have a grumble since I've just got yet another appointment booked in for my anti D. Between that, growth scans and midwife appts, never mind any antenatal classes, I'm going to be at the hospital or clinic every blinking week.

I know they're all important but why can't the anti-D clinic be on the same day as the antenatal clinic?!
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    Options
    Vanilla, Sweet and Penguin i'm glad the scans went well.

My exemption card was issued at booking in appt, my Dr had signed it and sent across, and all my appointments are being booked before I leave the last one. It's amazing how everything varies so much throughout the country though.
    Re clothes, I think it's the same too, everyone shows at different points and carry differently. I'm eating reasonably well and doing a little walking but nothing much else. I've got a bump which I would say is obvious to those who know but people who didn't would possibly question if I had just eaten too many pies :rotfl: It is a little smaller in the morning and by lunchtime is more obvious but it's pretty hard to the touch all day. Over the bump jeans have been such a relief, and even though they roll down slightly at the minute, i'm happy to take that over the uncomfyness of my other jeans digging in. (friend has given me a tip if you roll it in half for the time being it stays put better and can just unroll as bump gets bigger.)

Looking forward to 16week midwife next week, will be really nice to hopefully hear the heartbeat.

April - a couple of friends have had the Joolz which made me look initially. The Silvercross Pioneer seems very similar to it and is a bit cheaper (although not by much).
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport