New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Tesco Value snobbery??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
362 replies 60K views
ScorpioLady_2ScorpioLady_2 Forumite
123 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I've just had my Tesco shopping delivered, am desperately trying to economise so ordered loads of 'value' goods. Now I don't have a problem with buying these but I do have a problem with them dotted around the house (reminding me all the time I am poor!!:(), so I go around putting them all into the more 'expensive' containers ie Fairy Liquid, Listerine mouthwash, etc etc and then destroy all the cheap packaging!!!!!
Feel quite satisfied with myself that I only spent a fraction of the cost:j I was thinking of all you other OS posters and wondered if everyone does the same and what other tips along the same lines do you have.

I do realise it is 'value' snobbery, so please don't berate me for that, but we all probably having our coping strategies for living on a tight budget and I wondered what yours were??

PS I am still struggling with how to swap the toothpaste into an 'expensive' tube though!!!!!! Any suggestions?? ;)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• I tend to do this with cereal!!

I would put the toothpaste into a cupboard in the bathroom I don't like anything on show in the bathroom!

Ermm I use tablet soap and ecover liquid and find I only need a little bit as lasts ages therefore saving money and looking good on the environment ;)
    it costs nothing to smile:D
  • lil_melil_me Forumite
    13.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I buy what I am happy with and if anyone else has an issue with it, not my problem! Toothpaste if you must maybe use a sterilised soap dispenser ? Don't know if the pump would clog it up. I've always felt sorry for people sucked in with the brands thing, I go on what I like, find the cheapest that I like and buy it with things like household stuff etc. I know someone who would have a fit if other people knew she shopping in Lidl. I seen her there once and she said pleased don't tell anyone I shop there, sad really.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • CazzdevilCazzdevil Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I don't look at the value stuff in my cupboard and think "oh dear, look how poor I am", I look at it and think "wow, how stupidly expensive would it have been if I'd bought branded stuff, aren't I good for saving so much money!".

Half the time (if not more) the value stuff is from the same manufacturer as the branded stuff anyway.
  • CazzdevilCazzdevil Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Does that make me a "reverse-snob"? :D
  • sockospicesockospice Forumite
    551 posts
    ✭✭
    Maybe you could get into the mindset 'look at me, I'm not buying into marketing hype, I am a savvy consumer who is not swayed by a big advertising budget'.
  • MarielMariel Forumite
    624 posts
    I'm always a bit bemused by my OH and eldest daughter laughing at me for buying value. They like the stuff so what's funny about it? Don't understand some people!
  • Like Cazzdevil i have to say i look at my trolley and mentally laugh at the fact my sister spends twice what i do when she buys for 2 than what i spend buying for 6... but then again I have never been independantly wealthy (was whilst living with my parents then crashed down to earth with a biiig whallop one settling down with my husband at 17) so i don't know if it's more a case of never had can't miss when it comes to my home?

Since my parents bankruptcy though i have had to retrain my mother to shop intelligently and she does the "hiding" trick as my dad doesn't deal well with not having what they used to :rolleyes:
  • PollybearPollybear Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't bother me at all, I don't hide anything.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of this putting value stuff into brand packages, but I've never bothered, as other posters say, if someone has a problem with my values then that is their problem & not mine

I just buy what i think is is good value & I like and let the world think what it will
  • newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm serving it to others (ie visitors) then I do take it out the packets - eg I'll take the value biccies out the pack and lay them out nicely on a plate - but then I used to do that with posh biccies too ;)
    working on clearing the clutter