PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tesco Value snobbery??

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    aldi items are even better value then value
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    I decant cheap cheap bubblebath into hand wash dispensers, but more for convenience than snobbery.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • daisyroots_2
    daisyroots_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    My snobbery comes from a different direction. I decant into the prettiest pack, the one that appeals to me in terms of colour, design or wording. Or the sturdiest, sometimes. It's your home, not Tesco's, and you arrange it to please yourself, my love.
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Raspberry_Swirl Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    it just makes me happy that my food cupboards are full and i didn't break the bank doing it. couldn't care less what packaging stuff is in...
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As it has been said, I couldn't care less either, I certainly don't feel poor doing it, more like tight :D IMO

We've recently swopped all smellies to value/basics range and I havn't found anything yet which isn't up to scratch.

As for tooth paste, I guess that could be your one luxury brand and just buy whatever named brand is on BOGOF ;)
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have to agree with most others... I couldn't care less what the packaging is like, as long as the product itself works. Having said that, I have loads of tubes of 'branded' toothpaste (and a few (:rolleyes:) other things - showergels, shampoos, etc as Tesco gave me them when they had their coupons). If you feel like you really can't use the cheap packaging, buy the more expensive when it's on offer as I can't imagine you would find an easy way to decant the toothpaste.

Lx
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    daisyroots wrote: »
    My snobbery comes from a different direction. I decant into the prettiest pack, the one that appeals to me in terms of colour, design or wording. Or the sturdiest, sometimes. It's your home, not Tesco's, and you arrange it to please yourself, my love.

Hear Hear! Until my children became toddlers (and got heavy handed..... :rolleyes: ) I used to decant all soap and shower gel etc into ceramic soap dispensers.... not because I didn't want people to see what I used (though it is nice when they don't know! ;) ) but because the dispensers matched the decor I had.

Choose the dispensers (for example) that match your decor... whether "other empty brand bottles" or ones you have bought (there are loads out there that are so cheap in tesco/asda etc... and in all sorts of patterns/colours!)

Arrange your home to suit you!
  • I have great fun with this. I am on a very tight budget and value products are a must. Quite often I meet parents of pupils in the supermarkets and the looks on their faces when they look in my basket is priceless. Ashamed - never - I am buying within my budget and not getting into needless debt. I am also proud to say that most of what they see is ingredients.

I consider myself very lucky to live in a country where we can still buy food relatively cheaply. I was astonished to discover that if I were living in Bangladesh to buy enough for a healthy diet - no frills - would cost the equivalent of over £1000 a week! The United Nations have started to show food costs in relative terms so that we in the west can truly understand the difficulties faced by the rest of the world.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I once had an open house last summer - and fed everyone on cold meats, salads, etc from Lidl.

Of course no one knew and there were all sorts of great comments on the food.

A few months later, when discussing supermarkets with friends and OH's family, I got "Oh, I wouldn't buy anything from Lidl - poor quality...."

So, did I keep it to myself, did I heck! I relished dropping the bombshell!:D
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    No - I would never bother changing the packaging etc.
    Who cares what brand it is? So long as it is edible/usable if I have saved some money then I am pleased with myself.
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family