Tv License Refund

Options

Comments

• Money-Saving-King
    Options
    wiogs wrote: »
    Why invite people who have no right to be there into your home?

Very odd attitude.

Not if you've got nothing to hide it isn't. But if you're trying to hide something then I can understand why you say this.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not if you've got nothing to hide it isn't. But if you're trying to hide something then I can understand why you say this.

Have you not noticed that for every public authority except TVL, the homes of their clients are off-limits? Have you not noticed that this principle goes back centuries in UK law and culture?

TVL are, in fact, no different - they just say they are. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be any legislation that prevents a public authority from attempting to mislead or misdirect the public about its authority. I guess legislators never thought anyone would have the audacity, arrogance or (ultimately) the stupidity to do such a thing.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 30 November 2014 at 11:26AM
    Options
    Do you watch live TV or not out of interest?

I'm assuming from his other posts that Bedsit Bob is entirely legal.

More generally, I find that this question is one of a range of issues where grotesque double-standards begin to creep out of even the most mild-mannered Forum or FM.

We've had threads on here where even the most extreme crimes are talked about fairly openly. We routinely have threads where people ask for advice on what is effectively financial fraud. Virtually any motoring thread will eventually attract posters who gleefully make claim to illegal behaviour on the road.

And yet, for some inexplicable reason, the TV Licence Fee seems to be hallowed ground for some people. I'm not here to advocate LF evasion as a form of political protest, or even as a consequence of extreme poverty. However, I can understand both those positions. This is, after all, just TV.

Perhaps someone can explain why they view LF evasion more seriously as an offence than other forms of tax evasion, and other minor misdemeanours. Perhaps someone can explain why they howl with pain at the suggestion of more intrusive policing of the roads, but advocate the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" mentality when it comes to the LF?

I, for one, would find it invaluable to understand this double-think double-standard.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    More generally, I find that this question is one of a range of issues where grotesque double-standards begin to creep out of even the most mild-mannered Forum or FM.

We've had threads on here where even the most extreme crimes are talked about fairly openly. We routinely have threads where people ask for advice on what is effectively financial fraud. Virtually any motoring thread will eventually attract posters who gleefully make claim to illegal behaviour on the road.

And yet, for some inexplicable reason, the TV Licence Fee seems to be hallowed ground for some people. I'm not here to advocate LF evasion as a form of political protest, or even as a consequence of extreme poverty. However, I can understand both those positions. This is, after all, just TV.

Perhaps someone can explain why they view LF evasion more seriously as an offence than other forms of tax evasion, and other minor misdemeanours. Perhaps someone can explain why they howl with pain at the suggestion of more intrusive policing of the roads, but advocate the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" mentality when it comes to the LF?

I, for one, would find it invaluable to understand this double-think double-standard.

Getting a bit philosophical here, but it's only a double standard when the same person accepts one misdemeanour but criticises another. There are many people posting, and presume many of them are consistent in their views that you should not break the law regardless of the issue. Certainly when people suggest things that are financial fraud on boards such as Cutting Tax, plenty of people tell them exactly what it is.

As to why people do it, my view is that it's common human behaviour to find reasons to justify the things you do "wrong" while criticising the peccadilloes of others. Would suspect that some of those who think TV Licence evasion is justifiable are also critical of people who break the rules in other areas, it's not a one-way street.

Just an opinion of course, but you did ask...
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    They will send people round to try and fool you in to admitting not having a TV licence and they are very good at it.

Fool me? The only reason they would be knocking at my door is because there isn't a licence recorded for the address, so although I'd be inclined to just politely shut the door (I have a 'no cold callers sign..), it would be no skin off my nose to 'admit' I haven't.

Somebody else said
    They can get a warrant if they have a enough evidence to get one.

What evidence? As assumption that most people _do_ watch TV really isn't enough, nor seeing a flickering light through a curtain. If they hear transmitted voices in my case it's 95% likely to be Radio 4.

I have to admit though that I haven't got a shotgun licence either, so I'll just have to do the 'Git orf moi land' bit with a rolling pin..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 December 2014 at 10:16AM
    Options
    I'm assuming from his other posts that Bedsit Bob is entirely legal.

I am indeed, 100% legal.

I even went as far, as to permanently disable my equipment, from receiving broadcast TV.
    14e6f5x.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nor seeing a flickering light through a curtain.

Indeed, because it could be one of these.
    Burglar-Deterrent-TV-Simulator.jpg
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    SW17 wrote: »
    Getting a bit philosophical here...

Thanks for your response to my rant.

I'm sure you're right, and I would add to your observations the number of people who "think they know stuff" who frequent the online environment.

When I'm posting, I endeavour to get my facts straight, and if I'm uncertain or just venting opinion, I will make it obvious from the context.

I find it just plain weird how, for example, people will cite the Ts & Cs of an organisation (or the law) (possibly misunderstanding what they say) as cast iron truth, when it's already been stated that the organisation operates differently in practice.

The truth is complicated, but it is definitely out there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

And yet, for some inexplicable reason, the TV Licence Fee seems to be hallowed ground for some people.
    Your examples might have some validity with regard your accusations of hypocrisy if any of the posters who contributed to the threads you mention were also participants here.
    SW17 wrote: »
    it's only a double standard when the same person accepts one misdemeanour but criticises another.
    Agreed.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    No problem with that.

I suppose (in addition to ranting), I am anticipating the flack that would undoubtedly fly if someone advocated breaking the TV Licence law as a form of political protest in the lead up to the review of the BBC Charter.

I'm struggling to think of an exact analogy in another area on MSE. I suppose there are a few people in Motoring who claim a right to speed...

I've also been on the Radio a few times on this issue, and I find it a little annoying that no matter how carefully I have explained being Licence-free, the presenter is inevitably required by the legal department to read a note about how everyone needs a licence. This tends to devalue what I have just said. (This exact scenario happened a few weeks ago).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure