Tv License Refund

Good Evening All

I havent posted for a long time as I can usually find the information after some searching. Not this time though.

I understand that you do not need a TV license if you watch catch up only TV. Can anyone tell me what date this came into effect?

Basically I have not watched or have not been able to watch Live TV at my current premises. When I intailly moved I rang the TV license and informed them of this. They told me I would still need a tv license at this property as I was viewing programmes using online catch up. When It came to renew the license I checked into this again and found I did not need a license. I was declined a refund due to having no unsed quaters left on my license.
Obviously depending on the dates I believe I shold be entitle to a refund as I was mis-informed by a TV License representitve.
If I did intailly need a license and then the law changed I do not think I would get a refund even though I had previously enquired and the changes were not well advertsied.

I would ring them but I have brought up this issue already been delcined a refund and am now processing a SARS request and hoping that they recorded the call. ( I dont want them to convenietnly lose it)

Kind Regards and thanks for the help

Comments

• You have only ever needed a TVL for watching live TV, never for catch-up.

You can never trust the person you are paying to fully inform you of your choices, no matter what you are paying for you must do your own research.

Good luck with the refund.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can anyone tell me what date this came into effect?
    When did catch-up start? No law ever changed. They probably just had to clarify when on-demand became popular that as long as you're not recording or watching live, you don't need it. It's treated the same way as watching a DVD.
  • Not having a TV licence is really not for the faint hearted.
    They will send people round to try and fool you in to admitting not having a TV licence and they are very good at it.
    They can not be trusted as far as you can throw them.
    They will lie and trick you in to signing forms and documents so you end up with a summons.
    The fact you do not need a licence does not stop them, they are very relentless as they are commission based agents they send out.
    They would have no wages if they played the game fairly.
    By all means, if you do not need a licence, dont pay one but start researching how to protect yourself now and learn what to expect
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • It doesn't matter if you are "faint hearted".

What matters is, that you know your rights (and that they have no power or authority), and that you deny them information and access to your property.

To that end:-

Don't respond to their letters, in any way shape or form.

Do not return their letters.

Do not answer the door to their doorstep callers.

If you do accidentally open the door, immediately close it again.

Don't answer any questions, nor confirm any details they have.

Don't allow them into your home.

Don't, under any circumstances, sign anything.

The above has served me well, for almost 5 years.
  • Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you are "faint hearted".

What matters is, that you know your rights (and that they have no power or authority), and that you deny them information and access to your property.

To that end:-

Don't respond to their letters, in any way shape or form.

Do not return their letters.

Do not answer the door to their doorstep callers.

If you do accidentally open the door, immediately close it again.

Don't answer any questions, nor confirm any details they have.

Don't allow them into your home.

Don't, under any circumstances, sign anything.

The above has served me well, for almost 5 years.

Well if they have ID (ad you checked it out) just let them in to prove that you don't need one. If you don't need one you got nothing to worry about
  • RingKing wrote: »
    Well if they have ID (ad you checked it out) just let them in to prove that you don't need one. If you don't need one you got nothing to worry about

Exactly.

That's why when I fly away on Holiday I volunteer for a full cavity search, in fact I insist upon it
  • anna2007
    anna2007 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Not having a TV licence is really not for the faint hearted.
    This to me is perpetuating the myth that a licence is necessary... why does anyone have to be strong of heart to have no licence?!

If you genuinely don't watch or record TV as it's broadcast and they come calling, what's wrong with politely shutting the door in their face, before they ask any questions or present you with a form to sign? If they keep ringing your doorbell, write and remove the implied right of access. If they have the technology to check, then they know you've watched no live TV, so they've nothing on you, surely?

I cancelled my TV licence in October, mainly out of protest when I realised just how biased the BBC is in its reporting. It's taken a bit of adjusting, and more than a bit of annoyance when I have to wait until next day for my favourite programmes, but I don't regret the decision at all.
  • anna2007
    anna2007 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Sorry OP, my last post didn't address your question :o

It sounds like you've been misinformed, so you'd have to make an initial complaint to TVL, you could try here:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/making-a-complaint-AB7

Worryingly, the Beeb don't seem to answer to anyone (other than Dave I suppose) In fact:

Stage 1: Write to the Operations Director at: TV Licensing

Stage 2: Write to the BBC Head of Revenue

Stage 3: Write back to the BBC Head of Revenue Management

:rotfl:

Their wording - circles, anyone?
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 November 2014 at 6:19AM
    anna2007 wrote: »
    I cancelled my TV licence in October, mainly out of protest when I realised just how biased the BBC is in its reporting. It's taken a bit of adjusting, and more than a bit of annoyance when I have to wait until next day for my favourite programmes, but I don't regret the decision at all.

So basically you want to watch the BBC as it produces your favourite programmes, you just think others should pay for it on your behalf?
  • SW17 wrote: »
    So basically you want to watch the BBC as it produces your favourite programmes, you just think others should pay for it on your behalf?

Yes if other people want to pay for it, let them.
    We gave up our tvl and sky a few months ago and just watched catch up and YouTube etc but now we watch very little catch up maybe 3 or 4 hours a week and we have 3 kids. I can see a time when we won't bother with any catch up at all. Anything we really want, we'll just get the DVD (amazon market place can be VERY cheap for used ones). The amount of time we have for doing all those jobs around the house have been put off because of 'too busy' are now being done.
    And the extra time and attention we give to the kids is priceless... Its like the olden days, kids playing with toys, drawing and reading and stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure