We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!

Options

Comments

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Sorry Nicky, spent so long doing other things mid-type that I missed you post! I hope your virus is long gone!

So sweet that you thought of me with the picture! I really don't think I'm Superwoman though, that title belongs to Mrs H and Stripes! Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Today has been a 'doing' day.

Went to Smyths toys this morning with a £6 off a £20 spend voucher which was about to run out, and got a few bits for Christmas presents. The two things I chose came to £19.98 (:mad:) so I grabbed a stocking filler for £1.99 and made use of the voucher. We also popped into Mr A's as I desperately needed bin bags and some chocolate (DS1 has a dress down day tomorrow with a donation to their chocolate tombola for next week's fair as the fine!), and I also bought a couple of newspapers with vouchers in for £5 off a £10 spend on fruit and veg at Morries. Will make use of those after the gym tomorrow as Morries is next door.

We then went to the surgery to collect yet another repeat prescription for DH, and afterwards called to MiL's to walk her dog as she was out with a friend for lunch.

Home for lunch and got a call from one of the Managers at the Head Injury hospital that I've been chasing. She apologised for DH 'falling through the net', and she is sending us an appointment out for them to do a home visit. Apparently they have changed how they work in the last year and they want to do a full assessment of DH and his needs, as they now cover more 'non-medical' services too. Will await the appointment letter and subsequent appointment with baited breath!

After lunch we went off in the opposite direction to this morning, and weighed in some old clothes that my Mum had donated to me after having a wardrobe clear out. Got £3.87 which was better than nothing! Wandered round £land and other cheap shops pricing up selection boxes etc for Beavers, and saw a few things that I'll go back for next week when I have more money as we really have limited pennies now until then. I will spend £10 for £20 worth of fruit and veg in Morries tomorrow but after that I'm hoping not to spend anything else until Monday. DS2 has a party on Sunday but I already have the present etc so that will be fine.

When we got home I checked my emails and T@lk T@lk had sent my e-bill - for £69.69 :eek:. They had charged me £50 for the engineer visit we had when we had no internet and a crackle on the line :mad:. I phoned them to complain as no one had mentioned a charge, and she agreed to take it off as my account clearly states that the engineer found a fault with the line and replaced it :T. Except she didn't actually take it off, she just applied a credit to the bill as is 'protocol'. This then means that I have to wait for the rest to be collected by direct debit and I can't pay online to get the 15% speedy payment discount I normally get which is around £3. £3 is a lot to me, especially just now. The girl didn't seem to want to discuss it any further and ended the call, so I've sent and email of complaint and hopefully it will achieve more than just the £3 discount.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Evening all, hope you are well!

We went to the gym this morning and then to Morries. When I read the newspaper voucher terms properly it said that £10 minimum basket spend applied, meaning £5 had to be of fruit/veg/salad but the rest could be anything. DH and I split the shopping into two baskets and went through seperately, meaning we got £20 of shopping for £10. I also bought another newspaper as the vouchers were back in today as well, and hopefully we can a)make it back to use it before it runs out on Sunday and b) still have £5 to pay for the rest of the shopping! Despite the shopping today my cupboards/fridge/freezer are looking a lot emptier than usual, which always make me nervous. We get more money on Tuesday though so I'm sure we'll be ok.

Apart from that we've just been in the house all day. We have no money to speak of anyway, and the Black Friday Fights did nothing to inspire me to be part of it! DH has been complaining of pains in his head so it was probably best we didn't go anywhere.

Get to meet the new baby tomorrow - :j.
    And then go to work - :(.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good thinking on shopping.
    Dident realise voucher was in again yesterday.
    Still got ald! one to use.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • grannyx2
    grannyx2 Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't realise they expired so quickly, thanks for the heads up x
    Targets
    Trip to Australia (On hold until 2022 now) to meet new grandson born jan 21!

Lose 84lbs. Update (minus 65lbs mostly during lockdown as of 18.05.21)

LBM : July 11 - £56,962
    DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3958715/return-to-solvency/p1
  • liltdiddylilt
    Options
    granny I loved that pic! Definitely Lucky!! And a tonne of people on here, Mrs H, Stripes, SA, Beanie included! I think we all have a superhero costume in the closer somewhere... some of those folk just wear it 24-7 though ;)

Hey Lucky, maybe your superhero costume is why you put on 4lbs? Take it off for next week ;) I am sure you will do better, but it is the season when we usually let go of a few strings and sod the consequences, so eat a couple of mince pies. Chrristmas is for fun, sharing and good food. New Years is for resolutions :)

I didn't bother with vouchers - there is a Morries near me but I have no willpower and my spend would have been far more than the required £10, with deli stuff that fills the fridge and goes off before I can eat it all. Trust me, it is a good call to avoid the sausage rolls. :D My grocery shop including special stuff for Him's birthday treats and also a fair chunk of his "bodybuilding" diet food has been £244 this month. I could cry. That is just FOOD. Not even toiletries and household etc.

I was absolutely disgusted at the Black Friday videos. Makes me feel a bit ill to be honest. Actually throwing punches to get a tv for £99 of a brand name I have never even heard of? Crazy. I went to Lidl and bought a YS chocolate cake for £1.22 and 2 packs of baby wipes £1.58. And then MiL paid. :D lol.

Chev my BiL genuinely does have sleep apnoea. He refuses to do anything about it or get it medically recognised as he would lose his drivers license until it was controlled and driving is his job. Stupid really, but we have been telling him for 15 years. he is also chronically overweight, has gout and the beginnings of arthritis. he is 40.. :(

Hugs to you Lucky :) xx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • millionaire_in_training
    Options
    I got 2 papers as well and will head in tomorrow and stock up :-)
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Morning all.

Beanie, I didn't realise the vouchers were in on Friday too. It was just that when we went to Morries on Friday with Thursday's vouchers, they had made a display pointing out the fact that there were more vouchers available that day too. I thought it was worth a 40p gamble that we'd be back to use it by the end of today. That may or may not happen and I'll explain why in a mo.

Granny, I'm glad to be of service, I'd hate to think you missed out! MiT, I hope you get lots of bargains.

Lilt, I just agree with everything you said :rotfl:.

Brain not functioning properly this morning. Yesterday I had new baby snuggles :j, but then a super busy shift at work :(, followed by DH having 2 seizures through the night at 1.50am and 5.25am :(:(:(. The first one, I jumped out of bed and raced to the drawer where we keep one of the boxes of buccal medication to stop the seizure and it wasn't there :eek:. By the time I went downstairs to get the box we keep there (and found 2 boxes in the same place so DH has obviously put the upstairs box away downstairs!!) and got back upstairs the seizure had stopped. I therefore lay awake for hours waiting for another as DH cluster seizures without the buccal, and had just gone back to sleep when the second one happened. This time the medication was ready and administered quickly but it still took a while to stop. I'm shattered and DH is devastated, not least because we had promised to take the boys swimming this morning if all was well, which obviously it isn't Xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the seizures.
    Have an easy day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Oh Lucky, that sucks.

I hope like Beanie says you guys have an easy day. DVDs? blankets?

big hugs XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family