We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Options

Comments

• DrZiggy
    Options
    I am a bit lost here as my address is not on the list when I put my postcode in - how do I get a better rate if the system does not know my address?

Nor does Compare the doobrey, and this flat has had occupants for 17 years plus.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So now there's an MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online, which didn't exist when I started switching to MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch. Can I move to this tariff once the switch is complete simply by enabling online billing or something? I think when I signed up it asked if I wanted my bills by post or email so maybe I'll automatically be put on it?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 November 2014 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Hmmm, may I ask a question about the 10 days duration that is highlighted in the thread title and elsewhere.

A couple of days before that time is up, this is no longer the cheapest fixed deal. What's more, the one that undercuts it has a longer term fix.

Were the MSE CEC negotiators aware of other imminent deals?

Unfortunately this means that claims made on the MSE website and sent by email again recently that MSE's collective deal is cheaper than the cheapest and by far the cheapest are no longer true, which may be a little embarrassing.

OK, they are pretty close, but the new one is cheaper for some usage levels, including the numbers I entered, and against the MSE online version.

I speculated previously that there might be new rival deals, and someone rejected this, but it's happened and perhaps there will be more.
  • canterswest
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Hmmm, may I ask a question about the 10 days duration that is highlighted in the thread title and elsewhere.

A couple of days before that time is up, this is no longer the cheapest fixed deal. What's more, the one that undercuts it has a longer term fix.

Were the MSE CEC negotiators aware of other imminent deals?

Unfortunately this means that claims made on the MSE website and sent to millions by email again recently that MSE's collective deal is cheaper than the cheapest and by far the cheapest are no longer true, which may be a little embarrassing.

OK, they are pretty close, but the new one is cheaper for some usage levels, including the numbers I entered, including against the MSE online version.

I speculated previously that there might be new rival deals, and someone rejected this, but it's happened and perhaps there will be more.
    First post on this thread predicts competitors will launch fractionally, or more, cheaper tariffs.

Things MSE has not answered -

When the 12 month condition on cashback applies. Despite reading this thread and knowing of this query, MSE Dan has not given an answer.

If cheaper tariffs were submitted by suppliers but MSE went with higher bids with unlimited quantity as greater potential for MSE to earn commission.

Which suppliers took part in the auction.

Why it picked all four tariffs as commission earners when on the pre payment meter tariff there is a much better, non commission paying alternative supplier.

On a positive note, MSE does seem to have switched a large number of consumers and claims to have saved them money so good job done on that.
  • TobyCG
    TobyCG Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 November 2014 at 9:00AM
    Options
    Having a bit of an issue trying to sign up for the switch to EON.

It won't accept my sortcode nor account number for the direct debit - simply highlights them in red and says to check them. Have tried the sort code both with and without hyphens.

Anyone had this or have any ideas?

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's accepted them now - very broken website.
  • akamustang
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    So now there's an MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online, which didn't exist when I started switching to MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch. Can I move to this tariff once the switch is complete simply by enabling online billing or something? I think when I signed up it asked if I wanted my bills by post or email so maybe I'll automatically be put on it?
    I too requested "E.ON MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch" but would like to change to "E.ON MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online".

How?
    MFiT-T3 :: Reduce mortgage to 80k (86.30%)
  • moneyfoolish
    Options
    My switch is in progress but why does it tell me on the MSE Collective information that my current tariff has combined fees of £10? It obviously knows I'm already with EON as it must know the plan to be able to tell me that my exit charges are £10 and therefore it should know that there are no exit charges! Unless we are being misled?
  • Ferris
    Ferris Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Our current plan (with EDF) expires at the end of Feb 2016 and has no early exit fees. We've only been with them 2 months.

The MSE/Eon plan would save us around £64 over the course of the 12 months for which it runs, but it expires this time next year, just as the cold weather starts to bite, so is it even worth switching?

The firstutility fix is the best deal of all, but I'm wary of the poor customer service and hefty exit fees.

Confusing. Any advice?
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I am in the same situation but going to stick with EDF as I think there will be other options available soon that may be lower than the MSE one.
  • Ferris
    Ferris Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    I am in the same situation but going to stick with EDF as I think there will be other options available soon that may be lower than the MSE one.

Hmm... you may be right. I am, however, tempted to switch to EDF's April 2016 tariff in order to a) pay less and b) cover that whole winter. Have you done that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport