PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Quilters Thread

Options

Comments

• cherryblossomzel
    cherryblossomzel Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 September 2014 at 2:35PM
    Options
    I've recently bought a rocking chair, something I've always wanted. It came without any kind of soft cover, so I'm making one. I've bought some foam and am thinking of things to cover it with.

One idea I have is a very simple quilt of squares (10x10m) of similar sorts of colours (probably pastel colours, mainly blues/purples, maybe a bit of green). Only problem is: I've never quilted a thing in my life before. Am I being too ambitious? Is it hard? I have a sewing machine, so is it literally just sewing the fabric squares together, then onto some batting, with a plain fabric backing? Do people think the chair will look terrible? I do want it to look nice. Please be honest, I can take it :D

Edit - goodness, just realised that I said 10x10m above. What I mean is that each square will be 10cm x 10cm. The actual quilt will just be big enough to cover the chair cover.

10x10m would be enormous.
  • miffy257
    Options
    Just realised I forgot to say welcome to Patches41048 I feel your pain about the sewing room being in a similar position myself. AlwaysAllie those cushions are gorgeous.
    Happy Quilting all :)
    £180.00 in 'sistercas'fund
    Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
    Samuel Smiles
  • miffy257
    Options
    I've recently bought a rocking chair, something I've always wanted. It came without any kind of soft cover, so I'm making one. I've bought some foam and am thinking of things to cover it with.

One idea I have is a very simple quilt of squares (10x10m) of similar sorts of colours (probably pastel colours, mainly blues/purples, maybe a bit of green). Only problem is: I've never quilted a thing in my life before. Am I being too ambitious? Is it hard? I have a sewing machine, so is it literally just sewing the fabric squares together, then onto some batting, with a plain fabric backing? Do people think the chair will look terrible? I do want it to look nice. Please be honest, I can take it :D

That sounds lovely , have a look on the Internet for tutorials, there is a lot of help out there. Your actual quilting would be easier if you have a walking foot but this will depend on your machine and they are quite pricey to buy unless you intend to do a lot of quilting.
    Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
    Samuel Smiles
  • miffy257
    Options
    aleceiffel just looked at your homepage and love your quilts , love the fabrics and designs :)
    Samuel Smiles
  • [IMG][/img]95256fb7-8289-4dc4-aae6-4f18109efda5.jpg

Just got the binding to sew down and he is done. Remind me not to do dark legs on a dark background again!!
  • alec_eiffel
    Options

Edit - goodness, just realised that I said 10x10m above. What I mean is that each square will be 10cm x 10cm. The actual quilt will just be big enough to cover the chair cover.

10x10m would be enormous.

That sounds fine. I agree with miffy, have a look at some tutorials online, they're so useful. I was happily adding the binding of my first quilt when I realised I didn't know how to join two strips, watched a quick video and off I went.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yay, I finished the binding on the baby quilt last night, I'll post pics of that and one other I've finished when DH has taken the photos.

I'm going to have a break from quilting for a few days, first because I want to do some of the housework I neglected while trying to finish the quilt and then because I am going away (to see the new baby and sort out some things to do with the sale of my late mum and dad.

I'm sorry if I'm posting too much, but I would like to see this thread become established like the knitters thread and not drift down the pages.
  • miffy257
    Options
    Deleted_User the chicken is gorgeous and I'm very envious of your free motion quilting.
    snoozer I'm glad you are posting regularly, like you I'm trying to do it every day to keep it on the front page. I'd like to see it be like the Knitters Thread. Have a lovely break and enjoy baby cuddles, can't wait to see the quilt .
    Happy Quilting all :)
    Samuel Smiles
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've tidied away my fabric, the dining table is clear, apart from a little project I couldn't resist setting out.

Where do you sew and how do you store your fabric. I use the dining table because it's the biggest space but I have a desk to one side for storage of threads cutters etc. I also have an ironing board and iron almost permanently set up. I can do this because we have a table in the kitchen and I only need to clear the dining room when we have guests.

I store my fabric in one of the spare bedrooms. I use clear plastic ikea containers for the fat quarters and some drawers for larger pieces. I bought a roll of wadding and that sits across the top of the bed like a bolster so that it's easy to unroll and cut.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Presently I sew in the kitchen on the table as it's the only place I can set up my sewing machine. I shall have a new table to sew on soon& then I'll set the machine up in the spare room. where I keep my fabric. I'd like some shelves but I don't have any so I keep everything in plastic boxes.
    I don't use a lot of new fabric, I'm currently using old shirts & skirts, though I was lucky enough to be given some febric by a fellow quilter recently.
    Chin up, Titus out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport