PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Quilters Thread

Options

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    I've had a very busy week, lots of baking & making in the kitchen, but I'm hoping to get back to my quilting this weekend. I'm hoping to finish one quilt & start a 2nd.
    Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, I'm feeling a bit bereft. I'm in Yorkshire for the weekend and usually bring some hand sewing to do but because I was so frantic finishing the baby quilt I wasn't able to prepare anything suitable.

Dh told me I could have a break over the weekend as if it was a treat for me - does he not understand?!

New mum loved the baby quilt - I'll put pics up as soon as I can.
  • miffy257
    Options
    Hope everyone can find time for quilting this weekend. I know how you feel snoozer, it's hard to do nothing, people don't realise how much we love having time to sew. I have just posted off a lap quilt to my sister for her 60th birthday, I really hope she likes it but just realised I don't have a photo. I know there is one on my quilting group website but will have to see if I can copy it over. Off to quilting group tomorrow , we meet 10 until 4 once a month so I need to find something to take with me as it's a sewing day.
    Happy Quilting all :)
    £180.00 in 'sistercas'fund
    Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
    Samuel Smiles
  • cherryblossomzel
    Options
    Well, after looking around online, I've realised how incredibly creative you can be with the whole quilting thing. I keep seeing beautiful patterns etc and have to constantly remind myself that I've never done this before and should keep it simple at first. Think I'll start with some placemats first.

A monster may have been awaken:eek:
  • RosiePuddingPaws
    Options
    cherryblossomzel - don't worry about starting with placemats. If you want to go for something bigger then do. I started (too long ago to think about now) at an evening class to make what they called a double sized quilt (although it was really just a slightly large single). The main thing is to want what you are creating as that will keep you working at it. And, yes, it can be addictive.

I went to the local quilt shop today trying to get a couple of pieces of batik in particular shades to make a quilt for my mother for Christmas. Unfortunately they didn't have any in the colours I needed although more is due in soon. Such a shame, I will have to go back again! She has seen a top I pieced (that I don't want to part with as I love the colours) and wants something similar to go in her bedroom. Mine was made with fabric in my stash but I don't have enough left to make another. I hope the fabric arrives soon as it will take a while to get it pieced. It is alternate pattern blocks but the patterns interlock too. Sorry, still can't do photos so can't show you the one I've already pieced (still awaiting quilting).
  • miffy257
    Options
    cherryblossomzel like RPP said you can start with something bigger, my first machine pieced quilt was a double bed size, I just did a simple 9 patch block with alternating solid blocks. Will try and find a photo.
    Rosie Pudding Paws the batik quilt sounds lovely, shame you have to go back to the fabric shop!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have spent the day at my quilting group and have done some hand piecing of hexagons as I didn't want to take my machine. Had a good time sewing with friends:)
    I have got the material to start my niece's quilt, I want to give it to her for Christmas so need to get a wiggle on.
    Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
    Samuel Smiles
  • miffy257
    miffy257 Posts: 890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2014 at 8:02PM
    Options
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/miffy257/15348634986/
    This one is a baby quilt I made for my Teaching Assistant's baby.
    If you carry on by using the arrows you will see an owl baby quilt, then my sister's quilt for her 60th next to a modern baby quilt. The last picture is a cushion I made for my daughter.
    Samuel Smiles
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2014 at 8:08PM
    Options
    Super thread. It is quite amazing that there are so many of us on this forum. I have been quilting for more than 20 years now although have had a two year break after making my daughter's wedding present as I was all quilted out. Am feeling inspired to continue with my three UFOs today in fact as have just been to the Creative Stitches show in Exeter where there was the most amazing work on display. Here are some of the quilts I have made in the past ten years or so.

Double Wedding Ring
    DSCF2789_zpsd9c295ba.jpg

Mariner's Compass
    mariners_zps0bc2ffeb.jpg

New York Beauty
    URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/tinavincent1/media/DSCF2672_zpsa1af5964.jpg.html]DSCF2672_zpsa1af5964.jpg[/URL]

Mum's Quilt
    Mumsquilt2_zps98ee1117.jpg

Hope that's not too many snaps but couldn't make my mind up which ones to show. There's more too as I guess I have made an average of one a year since about 1984. It is addictive.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • miffy257
    Options
    PlymouthMaid they are amazing . Those are very complex patterns and the colours are beautiful. Well done.:T
    Samuel Smiles
  • miffy257
    Options
    A beautiful morning here on the Welsh borders, sun is shining and I'm off to put the washing on the line. Need to do some tidying up before I can hit the sewing machine. Hope you all find some time and space to sew.
    Samuel Smiles
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport