PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spendaholics programme

Options

Comments

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I think you're all amazingly polite! The main reason I watch car crash TV is so I can jeer at the twits on the screen :p

It's a shame most of these kinds of shows focus on people who are in deep trouble, often with outrageous lifestyles. It's hard to learn any lessons from the case studies because I don't have anything in common with these people. I mean, "stop spending £100 a week on makeup" - well, duh! I don't need Alvin Hall to explain that :rolleyes:

I think there is a real need for shows that offer advice on how not to get into debt in the first place, or at least on how to manage debt wisely. Unfortunately it doesn't make glamorous television.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    filigree wrote:
    I think you're all amazingly polite! .

You do!!??? :confused: mogs has just ORDERED me to stop spending - threatened me with ABH .... that's .... polite??? *even more :confused: *

I agree with you - £100 on make-up?? Whoever that is, has "issues" and needs counselling, not debt advice ... it's all about ... PERCEPTION! Whosoever that poor soul is, clearly has a loooooow self esteem - but, that's just my humble opinion; what do *I* know!?

moggins - FYI .. I did a trip to Sains. tonight ... got some wickedly reduced items ie: lamb burgers x 2 @ 20p, reduced from ..... wait for it! .... £1.38!!!!! :rotfl: Methinks I *deeseeeeerrrrrvvvve* an official MSE T-Shirt ;) In fact, I'm going to make it my mission to design some and

FLOG 'EM!!! *insert evil grin* :D:D:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Okay Queenie, but I will only buy one if it says Old Style on the back :D

I spent too much money today but I did get the Victory Cookbook. It was the last one left and they had put it under the counter for someone else who was supposed to have picked it up first thing this morning. I did my puppy dog impression and they sold it to me :D

Did get my wedding outfit for £6.95 though, even got a £1 knocked off as there was a button missing off the skirt :)
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Moggins

You mean I am not the only person in the entire world who embarasses my kids by looking pathetic?

Thay stop complaining when it works though!:j
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I managed to be completely child free yesterday afternoon :D I was not shopping for a wedding outfit with kids in tow so dh took the day off :D

I'm so good to my kids, I try not to embarrass them on purpose (all the times I do it accidentally don't count)
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • buses7675
    buses7675 Posts: 837 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Smoking is one thing that drives me mad anyway, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, people who believe they can't afford to live properley or feed their children, yet smoke happily really do drive me mad.

When I was in Uni, as noted in my sig, I finished completely debt free (actually had over £1k in bank with no student loan at all!), I didn't drink or smoke (or anything worse - completely tee-total actually!), whatsoever. I did work throughout Uni, but only getting about £50 a week! Many of my friends, even those who lived at home like me, had the max student loan each year, yet finished each semester with maxed out overdrafts! Not surpisringly, these were the ones who went out several times a week to the pub!
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I know what you mean about smoking but I work with some families that have such miserable lives, if I lived like them, I'd need something to get me out of the bed in the morning and get me through the day. And it's an addiction. Not many people can give up just like that, especially when they're struggling to cope with day to day life.
  • buses7675
    buses7675 Posts: 837 Forumite
    Options
    That is true about it being an addication, as someone who has never smoked/drunk, I don't suppose I can really relate to it properley

I suppose really we need to attempt to improve the education of children in schools, on both health (so they see the harm smoking does), but also in budgeting (been mentioned many times in this forum), so that by the time they leave school, they hopefully, will see that smoking really does affect your health and your wallet!

Cheers

Steve
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
  • mrsmab59
    mrsmab59 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    buses7675 wrote:
    That is true about it being an addication, as someone who has never smoked/drunk, I don't suppose I can really relate to it properley

I suppose really we need to attempt to improve the education of children in schools, on both health (so they see the harm smoking does), but also in budgeting (been mentioned many times in this forum), so that by the time they leave school, they hopefully, will see that smoking really does affect your health and your wallet!

Cheers

Steve
    My son is a year 8 pupil and they have a lesson called PSHE (I think it stands for something like Personal and Social Health Education). Anyway this lesson includes topics such as drug, alcohol and tobacco awareness, so they ARE getting the education but some children in his class are already smoking despite being informed of the potential dangers to health. Apparently these children think it makes them look cool :eek:
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I was in the corner shop the other day I happened to glance up at the cigarettes just to see the price and they are like £5+ a packet, blinkin heck. Thank goodness I don't drink or smoke. Just chocolate. ;)

I've been watching that Spendaholics programme and there was a guy on the other night who was living off his mother for everything, she paid rent, his shopping for Viv Westwood clothes, drinks, taxis everyday at £18 a pop etc etc and he had a part time job in a bar. I think he was like £25K in debt. Mind boggling. When I had a balance on my credit card I used to get panicky if it was over £1,000 even although it was on a 0% rate forever. I could never let my spending get out of control like that. I have a splurge now and again but that's all.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure