PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spendaholics programme

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    HappySad wrote:
    I agree with the recent posts. Why don't the TV program do a show about real people on a limited income .... .

Probably because it would be a political hot potato! (That means *any* party in Gov't)

When Bernadine Lawrence first published her book: "How to feed your family on £4 a day (The Benefit Book) " (the revised edition was £5 per day) it caused quite a controvesy! Even groups who were dedicated to helping/advising those caught in the poverty trap were against it - they felt it could be used as an example that benefits were more than adequate if it were possible to spend just £28 per week for feed a family (later £30pw). Which of course wasn't the authors intention at all!

The boom in companies now offering credit left, right and centre would take a very dim view if our society suddenly explained that we actually don't need their inducements of easy payments, low interest rates for first 12mths blahblahblah. The major chains would be aghast if they realised that we simply do not NEED to buy the latest this, the newest that and next season's must-have's.
    Equally, if we do not need all those loans/credit/goods, think of the rise in unemployment which would ensue!

I'm all for re-educating society on Home Economics, most especially when the detrimental side effects of consumerism is killing our planet; we're rapidly running out of landfill sites and I'm sorry, but you can "manufacture" synthetic most things but sadly you cannot manufacture another EARTH!

You'd think then, that simply on an environmental issue alone that it would be in the Gov'ts best interests to do something to promote a return to old style living - nope - because all parties are subsided one way or another by the Companies they support ;)

*steps down from soapbox - not out of embarassment, but because me soap box is soooo old from being refilled with HM Laundry powder that it can no longer hold up to the strain*
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • angela110660
    angela110660 Posts: 932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always watched Alvin Hall when he was on the TV and would even record episodes to watch later. I will never forget the episode when he froze a girl's credit cards in a block of ice to stop her using !! and when he melted credit cards with a blow torch. Okay maybe it is a bit cheesey but it certainly stuck in my mind and his mantra about not buying on impulse and giving yourself time to mull things over. He and Martin are both very understanding of their public and have very good personalities to get their info across. If/when Martin gets that show on tv I will be an avid viewer- pity if it is daytime though but I will record it.
    BTW the only other show I have enjoyed recently was on BBC daytime with that carboot sale prog woman on it. She went shopping with them and made them curb spending for four weeks to get a treat they wanted at the end. Good idea and they mostly did well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure