Replacing my economical run about car??

Options

Comments

• darkmatter101
    darkmatter101 Posts: 421 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2014 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    He was asking for best option for his situation, and I suggested that a £1500 conversion would save him a lot of money in the long run versus running 2 cars, whilst letting him use his good car all the time. It's literally a win-win.

OP - If you're looking at those 2 civics, what sort of driving are you doing; city or motorway? If city, the hybrid, if motorway, the diesel.

I definitely want a second car. It would be a mix of city driving and motorway, however I anticipate 80% city driving in near future. I would have thought an earlier diesel without DPF would be okay for city driving? I agree both cars do not look good at all but that isn't so much of my concern.

I wouldn't want to have my M3 as my only car, too much to worry about going to the local supermarkets worrying about dents, short city journeys that will accelerate wear and tear and the ride is too hard for a daily run about/commuting. London roads have pot holes everywhere and the way the M3 is geared it just isn't suited as a town run about car. I already spent quite a hefty sum on servicing on only 3-4k miles, and I'd imagine that figure will at least double if M3 was my only car.
  • JustinR1979
    Options
    So what about a Polo or something that size, as it's mainly town driving?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd go for the hybrid then since you're going to spend most of your time at lights or under 20mph.
  • JustinR1979
    Options
    I'd go for the hybrid then since you're going to spend most of your time at lights or under 20mph.

Do you know how well early hybrid systems work after 11 years?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well assuming the stop/start and battery works at all, he'll be better off than with diesel. I'm also assuming he won't buy the hybrid if he can't get a demo of it working.
  • JustinR1979
    Options
    Well assuming the stop/start and battery works at all, he'll be better off than with diesel. I'm also assuming he won't buy the hybrid if he can't get a demo of it working.

Is the cost of repairs/replacement on the early hybrid system known to anyone?
    It's a rare car, are parts available new? Second hand?
  • darkmatter101
    Options
    Is the cost of repairs/replacement on the early hybrid system known to anyone?
    It's a rare car, are parts available new? Second hand?

This is what I was thinking. What will the cost be if the battery or electric motor dies on the hybrid? Perhaps Honda have some sort of warranty that covers it for 10 year or up to 100k miles?

Also if I ever need to service these hybrids, would I be forced to take it to the dealer as its Honda specific technology?
  • JustinR1979
    Options
    This is what I was thinking. What will the cost be if the battery or electric motor dies on the hybrid? Perhaps Honda have some sort of warranty that covers it for 10 year or up to 100k miles?

Also if I ever need to service these hybrids, would I be forced to take it to the dealer as its Honda specific technology?

Or buy a diesel with similar mpg and more poke, better looks, none of these unknowns and worries, easier to sell too I bet.
    For me it would be too much of a punt, stick to the known :)
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sell the m3 and keep the yaris, sounds like you can't really afford to run it anyway.
  • darkmatter101
    Options
    After some thinking, I have decided to take a dive and to replace my Yaris with a low mileage FSH 2009 auto Lexus IS250 SE-L from my local Lexus dealer. I searched up on reliability ratings and the IS250 comes pretty high. Test drove one couple of years ago and despite the lack of power and feedback it handled well and was very comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure