Anyone playing Destiny?

Options

Comments

• cdam
    cdam Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Another query. Is anyone else finding the Crucible multi-player a waste of time? I seem to barely get 2 kills a game, I can be blasting someone, who appears to turn around, scratch their a£$e, look a bit longer at me, then kill me with a brief blast from their gun....What am I doing wrong?
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    cdam wrote: »
    Does the game stop at Mars? I am guessing yes, with the next DLC being the other planets?

Yes, Mars is the last planet although at the moment it looks like the December DLC 'The Dark Below' will unlock additional content on the existing planets rather than add new ones. Nothing has been confirmed though.

John
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    Another query. Is anyone else finding the Crucible multi-player a waste of time? I seem to barely get 2 kills a game, I can be blasting someone, who appears to turn around, scratch their a£$e, look a bit longer at me, then kill me with a brief blast from their gun....What am I doing wrong?

What gun are you using? The guns vary tremendously in fire rate and damage which I find makes Crucible feel quite unpredictable as sometimes you just seem to die in one shot all the time. I generally avoid Crucible unless needing to complete an exotic bounty, I find fusion rifles work well for me as they do a lot of damage across a good spread and their range is not bad. You do have to time the shots for the charge up whereas you don't with shotguns but the shotguns only work well at very short range and they've a much longer reload.

John
  • cdam
    cdam Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Hi John

I am using a machine gun, high fire rate, low impact. i tried a fusion gun, but couldn't get to grips with making it charge in time for the kill in the Crucible. In the main game I use a rifle successfully, but not in the Crucible.

Maybe give the fusion a try again.
    Thanks for the reply
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Probably not a lot. This is coming from someone who used to play semi-pro Halo 2 and often gets "The Best Around" medals in Destiny, I can tell you that the networking in Destiny for PvP (Crucible) is currently abysmal.

It's getting so frequent now, that someone is lagging, or has extreme latency, but yet can kill me/my team no problem, whilst we're distracted by him/her, unloading full clips, point blank shotgun rounds and rockets in to him, while he walks in to a wall, only for us to be the ones that fall over, either (and somehow) by his hand, or his team mates.

I probably win 85% of one on one fights, it's down to whoever has the better headshot aim in those fights, unless you're up against a heavy weapons or vehicle, or it's very close quarters when some people abuse the shotgun (seriously, some of the range is ridiculous, mine has better range, barely makes a dent but the enemy can kill me in one shot from the same distance? I had to check the shotgun he was using after that, couldn't believe what I was seeing).

I don't know if they're using "player hosted" games like they did in Halo 2 but it seems likely given the way games play out, but even Halo 2 wasn't this bad, not by a long way. Yes, you had host advantage and it was very minimal with anything but a shotgun, but you could never be lagging and still playing well (unless you were an infamous "stand-by" cheater).

Halo 2 (when re-released) will be my first choice FPS game when it comes to playing against other people, and I cannot wait for it. Destiny will stay my MMO style raiding game. It's on the verge of only being loaded up on a Friday for raid nights now, simply because sometimes the Crucible can be so painful and frustrating to play.
    Professional Data Monkey

• szam_
    Options
    Hi John

I am using a machine gun, high fire rate, low impact. i tried a fusion gun, but couldn't get to grips with making it charge in time for the kill in the Crucible. In the main game I use a rifle successfully, but not in the Crucible.

Maybe give the fusion a try again.
    Thanks for the reply

My personal load out depends on the map, and may sometimes change midway depend on how the game is going - keep plenty of gun choice so you can adapt to the game, enemies or the map

Small, close quarters maps:

Auto Rifle - Suros Regime or variable legendary (depends what is in my secondary slot)
    Shotgun - I don't have a Fusion Rifle I would deem good enough yet, it's on my list to buy next however - even then, I'd prefer to use a shotgun, from experience I have had with Fusion Rifles, they either match your play style, or they don't. I also don't use Full-Auto shotguns either, gives too much temptation to try shooting from a distance where you're barely hitting and gives the enemy more time to react. I've also got a decent "sticky" grenade being a defensive Titan, so I use that on close-ish range.
    Rocket Launcher - My default, simply because it's easy to hit with it. I do occasionally try Machine Guns, but the recoil on some of them negates the risk of not landing the kill.

Bigger, more open maps -

Scout Rifle - Explosive rounds plus target's explode on head shots, my Scout Rifle annihilates. Try to stay more open but don't expose yourself to snipers too much, basically keep moving and look out for the red glows of snipers.
    Sniper Rifle - I use Ice Breaker, simply because I do not need to run around and find more ammo. My best game was the other day, 17 kills and 0 deaths, Ice Breaker combined with my Scout Rifle, didn't touch heavy ammo once. I wasn't in an obvious sniping spot (big mistake people make it going to those "obvious" spots, I can just pick them off before they realise where I am). And I keep moving too, keep slightly adjusting where you are shooting from, more often than not, you'll find the last player you killed, come and try to hunt you down, moving a bit means he goes there and you take advantage of him looking for you.
    Rocket Launcher - Bigger maps have vehicles, nuff said about that really, draw them in and take them out.
    Professional Data Monkey

• Johnmcl7
    Options
    Crucible definitely has a whiff of Halo 2 about it when I've been unloading fusion rifles shots into someone and they've not gone down although I don't find it's anywhere near as bad as Halo 2. I find Crucible matches are reasonably consistent with bad matches here and there whereas Halo 2 was frequently all over the place, I used to find it frustrating as while the general multiplayer was good it was so annoying repeatedly knocking out another player's shields only to find out it's lagging and you're actually dead.

In general I don't find Crucible as a game type works that well, I though after spending a good few hours at it I'd get more into it but I just don't find it enjoyable, it doesn't have that polished, tested feel that the Halo multiplayer games had.

John
  • szam_
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Crucible definitely has a whiff of Halo 2 about it when I've been unloading fusion rifles shots into someone and they've not gone down although I don't find it's anywhere near as bad as Halo 2. I find Crucible matches are reasonably consistent with bad matches here and there whereas Halo 2 was frequently all over the place, I used to find it frustrating as while the general multiplayer was good it was so annoying repeatedly knocking out another player's shields only to find out it's lagging and you're actually dead.

In general I don't find Crucible as a game type works that well, I though after spending a good few hours at it I'd get more into it but I just don't find it enjoyable, it doesn't have that polished, tested feel that the Halo multiplayer games had.

John

I definitely find Destiny worse than Halo 2 in terms of networking. No game should ever reward lagging - I'll try and link a clip later I made where I turned a corner, started shooting a guy, he disappeared (teleported for better a word) over the other side of the map, and I died from his special ability (fist of havoc, i think it's called, the ground slam one). I sat there in disbelief. I realise it's not a serious PvP game, but things like that are frustrating when you do sometimes get a bit competitive and like to win.

I believe I have a number of other clips but I can't remember now, of me unloading in to an enemy and me dying. I might have deleted them though.

Problem is, it's nearly every game, and it's not just me, I often play with the same friends who experience the exact same thing from the exact same players. Some sort of latency checks should be being done, if over a certain threshold (whatever that may be that causes problems for other players, i.e. not in the spirit of fair play), if it's the same after 60 seconds, boot them with a message advising them to check the connection/downloads etc. Any spike should disappear after 10 seconds or so, so if you are spiking occasionally, no problem. Or just sort out the networking in general, some deaths, like the one described above are just plain stupid.
    Professional Data Monkey

• Johnmcl7
    edited 31 October 2014 at 1:39PM
    Options
    The game certainly doesn't reward you if you're lagging, when for whatever reason I'm lagging I can't kill anyone else no matter how many times I hit them or the game shows I hit them, just as it was in Halo2. Thankfully there's none of the Halo2 nonsense where it did reward people through lagging when they set their cable modems to test mode.

I find Crucible is reasonably consistent with the odd game here and there that's laggy although I do know a few different people who are frequently kicked out of Crucible games. I find the network setup for PvE a lot worse, it seems a lot more reliant on the Destiny servers which seem to be incredibly flaky at times and the game can't handle that, really annoying being booted out and all progress lost.

With the announcement of the ridiculous £20 DLC for sod all content though any of the above is moot because I will be surprised if player numbers don't drop off sharply before the end of the year.

John
  • szam_
    Options
    We have varying experiences I suppose then. I find PvE quite stable - first week or two I had the odd kick but nothing since.
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    With the announcement of the ridiculous £20 DLC for sod all content though any of the above is moot because I will be surprised if player numbers don't drop off sharply before the end of the year.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do drop off - I know friends who can't wait for Halo:MCE to release. However the intention is to keep raiding in Destiny because we do have a solid group of friends we play with - just need my damn gloves that won't drop! Stuck on 29 after 4 clears of the raid now, last two times I've literally just got shards and energy, and a shotgun plus Titan mark I already had. We manage normal in an hour and a half now.

I bought the Ghost edition because I felt it was going to be an epic game and given how much I loved Halo when Bungie was developing it, I thought "what the heck", meaning I get the next two expansions (however I thought "expansion pass" meant more than just two, perhaps a year of content).

First and foremost however, about the price, is that, fair enough, physical copies of the game cost more to import, but digitally, we pay substantially more for DIGITAL content? I'm not sure I understand the motive - easier to advertise? Blizzard (who are also Activision) set their prices based on realistic exchange rates, why can't Bungie? $20 does not equal £20 - not by a mile. Not only this, PS players get more content and we pay the same price - fair enough for the initial game, but on the DLC too? Come on...

Secondly, how long is this new content going to tide us over for? Especially over Christmas? A month, a month and a half? By the release dates it's new content every 3 months - so £20 every three months then. There is nowhere near enough content in these 'expansions' to keep players around between each release. The hardcore players will have it done in a few days after release.

Thirdly, they ignored the huge backlash over the Atheon mechanics. Thanks Bungie for completely randomising strategy! Our first run on it tonight so we need to train up two more people to hold the Relic and then prioritise who gets it. What's more infuriating is that they call it a bug - there is no way it's a bug because it would take MORE code to do a distance check and port the 3 people at the back of the room than it would by selecting three random people. Pretty sure that's shoved some players out too.

I am happy however that they fixed 'cheesing' Atheon, I knew people bragging they had 'finished' the hard mode - we questioned if they had done it legit, they hadn't, they soon felt ashamed when we explained to them it was nothing to be proud of - 6 or 7 of us who only play legit, against 1 who 'cheated' the boss - don't think they said a word in that party for about 2 hours after that.

The time out from Destiny does work for me however. I have a backlog of games I need to play and with The Crew, Halo:MCE and GTA:V rerelease coming in November, I'm going to be very busy outside of Destiny once level capped. I've also got to finish The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation, LOTR:SoM and Diablo 3.

After playing the Evolve Big Alpha yesterday too, REALLY looking forward to the full game of that, friends are too, it's going to be a blast with friends.
    Professional Data Monkey

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport