Anyone playing Destiny?

Options

Comments

• szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless you're running VoG, it is very repetitive, yes. However I see it as a saving grace as I can play other games and not need to be on Destiny all the time, unlike MMO's that require masses of amounts of time to upgrade my character.

I don't have a whole lot I need to do, just doing daily bounties for faction rep, and grinding Exotic/Legendary weapon skills/gear up. I need two more pieces of VoG gear to complete the 3/4 set (I have the VoG Titan boots already) as I have the exotic helm, but these are the only upgrades now, aside from preferred weapons but getting them is luck if you don't have the rep for the weapon you want yet.

Myself and my group of friends are on the last boss of VoG, from what I was told, only around 3% of players 26+ have completed VoG, we're close, we just need to fine tune team compositions for the teleport stage and a couple players work on their awareness/ability to survive, tactics are pretty much down however - we got him to about 40% health, 2 minutes after enrage. But progress is good, it happened with the first boss, when tactics were finally down, we have him to 50%, attempts after that just got better and better and the last attempt was flawless.
    Professional Data Monkey

• AlecEiffel
    Options
    What's it like for the solo player / random squads? Few of my friends are gamers and those that are aren't interested in this (cod and battlefield only for them).
  • szam_
    Options
    It's OK if you are planning to put some time in to it. I think you could probably hit late 28 or maybe early 29 - but never level cap for the raid that's out, which at the moment is 30 - you would need to do VoG for it, but even people spam invites for these when you hit 27 or 28, however from what Bungie are saying, very few groups clear it or take down a boss.

You'd then be hitting Crucible mostly, think Halo 2 multiplayer to a degree, as you wouldn't want to keep running Strikes over and over and over. I barely do any and still manage to cap my 100 marks a week.

However if you are expecting there to be 30+ hours gameplay of new content upon new content as you go, plus things to go on top of it, I wouldn't bother. And grinding, another thing, if you don't want to tolerate the occasional flying around planets looking for materials, then again, probably not for you.

There is barely any content at the moment and unless you're willing to buy the next few expansions, there isn't much longevity in the game. I get them with the edition I bought, so I have no worries for a while, it's just about whether my friends stick it out.

I personally hate the "Grimoire" system - I don't want to have to go to a website to try and piece together the lore, it ruins the immersion in the story, of which there is little because it relies on the website to tell the story for you, there are very few cut scenes. I'd also have to play for a whole while yet because I could unlock enough to even begin piecing it together.
    Professional Data Monkey

• AlecEiffel
    AlecEiffel Posts: 874 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the fact that others are running around will break it up a bit and I'll check out the crucible stuff. Won't be getting it for a few weeks yet (got lots of stuff to finish off).

Cheers.
  • Andy_89
    Andy_89 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    After a week or two off - to play fifa, I am getting back into this!

I am on the cusp of level 24 - want to be atleast level 26. I don't have any legendary nor exotic items, quite frustrating really.
  • szam_
    Options
    Andy_89 wrote: »
    After a week or two off - to play fifa, I am getting back into this!

I am on the cusp of level 24 - want to be atleast level 26. I don't have any legendary nor exotic items, quite frustrating really.

A friend of mine has 5 exotic weapons, i've played roughly the same amount of hours and only have one (one you can buy from Xur). He's found 3 of his at random (two from VoG), one from Xur and one from an Exotic bounty.
    Professional Data Monkey

• Headless_Ned
    Options
    I'm struggling to get up to level 21. Admittedly I haven't had time to grind lately but I'm finding going back to the moon to harvest helium filaments again and again is less and less appealing.
  • Andy_89
    Andy_89 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    The last two weeks have been a grind, I must have done 20 strikes and am still the same level 24. somehow I am nowhere level 1 vanguard so I am trying everything to get this up!

Agony.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm struggling to get up to level 21. Admittedly I haven't had time to grind lately but I'm finding going back to the moon to harvest helium filaments again and again is less and less appealing.

Apologies if any of this is too obvious, I thought level 20 to 27 would be a real slog but I didn't find it too bad after all although I don't think the game makes it all clear how to proceed.

You need to focus on getting legendary/exotic armour to get your level up (the weapons don't count) - the most surefire way to do that is to work on your Vanguard rank and marks through doing strikes as that means you can buy Legendary armour from the Vanguard. As there's a lot of enemies in strikes there's a chance you'll get a blue engram or two which even though the item is likely useless, decrypting it will increase your Cryptarch rank which when levelled up gets you a legendary engram.

At weekends Xur will sell exotic armour for strange coins, if you've any high level friends that can carry you on a weekly strike that's nine guaranteed strange coins on the highest level so with a couple of strange coins here and there it's not long to get the 13 required for an armour piece. Also, he sells a random exotic engram for Motes of Light which is a good use of them.

You also need to keep an eye on public events, getting a gold on the first one guarantees you an ascendant item although there's a chance you can get additional ascendant items when getting gold as well. This site tells you when the public events are likely to be:

http://destinypublicevents.com/

As you level up, you'll be able to do the daily missions on the top difficulty level as well which guarantees two ascendent items. These are crucial once you have your full armour set to level them up further, the last upgrades for the armour need a lot of them to upgrade them all.

Make sure you do the bounties even though your main level doesn't go up, the experience gained improves your weapons and armour plus there's the random chance you'll get an exotic weapon bounty. These consist of a few tasks you need to complete which aside from the Crucible tasks I find quite enjoyable to have something to work on, once complete you'll get an exotic weapon.
  • cdam
    cdam Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Does the game stop at Mars? I am guessing yes, with the next DLC being the other planets?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure