Anyone playing Destiny?

Options

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tried it on my PS3 but was instantly put off once I discovered its an online only game, so back it went.

I refuse to be forced into playing online, especially at that price.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • ifstar
    ifstar Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    Tried it on my PS3 but was instantly put off once I discovered its an online only game, so back it went.

I refuse to be forced into playing online, especially at that price.

You don't need to have anything sort of interaction with other players though. You might see some folk running about shooting things but you don't need to play the competitive multiplayer.
  • Chatalouge
    Options
    Andy_89 wrote: »
    Well the 'loot cave' has gone! R.I.P

Starting to get a little bored with reruns of the same missions, over and over again. At least with the 'loot cave' you managed to get some reward for the endless monotony.

I am hearing first DLC in December - I may have to buy Fifa.
    I am so annoyed they patched the engram farm! I managed to get an exotic weapon through farming, now its gone :( i also bought fifa today and for the first time ever UT is not sweaty.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ifstar wrote: »
    You don't need to have anything sort of interaction with other players though. You might see some folk running about shooting things but you don't need to play the competitive multiplayer.
    Granted. But you STILL need to be online in order to play a single player game. My PS3 is disconnected from the internet deliberately. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • PenguinJim
    Options
    Ah, one of the last OtherOS holdouts? :D
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This game is getting interesting now I've started raiding with friends, cleared up to the first boss and took him down in the Vault of Glass last night - managed in less than 3 hours.

It's quite tough just to even clear up to it, but once the fight mechanics click with everyone, it gets so much easier, we didn't even get close to the enrage on the last try. If you are planning to try raiding on Destiny, make sure you take people who will follow instruction and adapt to fight mechanics, I would hate to go in there with random people who may run around like headless chickens, real strategy and teamwork is needed.

Needless to say, the shouting and cheering when we finally got it down is what raiding is all about. I think we have a solid team of 6, so should hopefully have up to the first boss on farm after the reset and working up to the second.
    Professional Data Monkey

• Phennarch
    Options
    As my sig suggests, I'm in love with destiny. Whilst I know it isn't a complete game, the co operative aspect, beautiful graphics and element of skill keep me coming back for more.
    Lurker for many years, now finally decided to join & sort myself out.
    Debt - Vanquis Credit Card = [STRIKE]£1,500[/STRIKE] £1,387.21 (01/01/15)
    Savings - HSBC e-saver = £0.01
    XBOX One GT - add me : "Phennarch"
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I expected to give up on this game when I hit level 20 as I couldn't be bothered with the grind to get up to level 26 but it's not taken that long, I haven't had any legendary armour drops but got two pieces through Vanguard marks and the two others from the queen missions although annoyingly no luck getting the sniper from those missions. I've got a legendary standard weapon and heavy plus just a smidgen away from level 27, hoping to get an exotic armour piece and weapon to be ready for the Vault of Glass.

I can see why the game gets very mixed responses as I think the combat is extremely good, the interface feels quite fresh and new plus I love a lot of the level design. However I think they completely dropped the ball on the game design and have really made a mess of it in just ab out every way (apart from the Vault of Glass), the way progression works is not good, very little of the game is explained and the the beautiful maps just mostly feel empty, abandoned and pointless with the exact same enemies always spawning in the moment you leave their area.

There are moments you get a hint of what the game could be and I hope will be if Bungie keep listening to feedback. I was wandering about on Mars getting some bounties and looking for relic iron near the start area, there's a set piece with Vex and Cabal which happens exactly the same way every time but then I noticed a few different enemies which was odd. I started attacking them and more and more were spawning in a completely different pattern to what they normally do. Another random person in the area spotted what was happening and headed over to give me a hand, before long we were being forced to drop back while covering each other and trying to take all the enemies down. Then as suddenly as it started, it just ended and didn't appear to be for any reason but just that suddenly being overwhelmed made the game a lot more interesting.

On Venus I was with a couple of friends wandering through and an optional mission came up to hold the top of a hill and stop the Vex so we duly ran over as did a few others. We each defended a portion of the hill as the Vex in attacked in increasingly difficult waves until we fended them off long enough.

I'm really hoping they add more of this, more dynamic spawning, more public events and more complex versions as well to make it more enjoyable exploring the maps and less repetitive.

John
  • scoot7
    scoot7 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I'm finding it very repetitive to be honest, is anyone else?
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    scoot7 wrote: »
    I'm finding it very repetitive to be honest, is anyone else?

I would be surprised if there's anyone out there that isn't, there's very little content in the game and what's particularly bad is that it looks like they cut final content from the game to then release as paid DLC in December. I think that's a mistake and if they don't get decent new content out fast, the game is going to quickly die particularly when they've put the best content in the game (the Vault of Glass raid) outwith the reach of many people who are understandably not going to be bothered about grinding up to level 27. Bungie have a big advantage there's not much out for the Xbox One and PS4 at the moment but that's going to change soon particularly with the Master Chief collection coming out in November.

They're lucky the new Borderlands is not coming out for the new consoles but once I've done the Vault of Glass I can't see me going any further with Destiny unless there's new content.

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport