Anyone playing Destiny?

Options

Comments

• REDDDRAGGON
    Options
    I'm only Level 4, but I'm already finding it rather dull.

The environment looks amazing, and the gameplay is excellent, however the story line is boring (IMO).
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Level 13 here, been playing it by sharing out my phone's 3G (unlimited so no issues there). On a bad connection I've had a few annoying disconnects.

The story definitely seems to be lacking. I also found that scouting and doing random missions seemed to have me going back and forth between very similar points over and over again. I haven't bothered with that since.

For all that was promised, it seems to have fallen short of "epic" of which I was expecting.

The whole perks thing has me a bit confused as I reluctantly sit there wondering if I will get to a point where I cannot take anymore - I can't progress moves, such as the Titan (my class) without taking that talent, At this stage I am presuming you can take them all on the left hand side, and on the right are the more 'optional' talents, i.e. do you want more agility, or armor etc - I don't yet know what happens when I unlock my other subclass.

That being said however, the combat is fun, very easy to control especially if you're a veteran Halo player like myself, although the lack of real options on what does what annoys me, I play Halo with the B button as grenade and left trigger to melee, with the stick to zoom. I am a little disappointed that most FPS games seem to be conforming to a less, at least for me, suitable controller layout which feels more awkward and unnatural and I'm still getting used to.

I'm a little baffled at why I have loads of crafting material but nowhere to use it. Unless I haven't gotten to this point yet, but my bags are filled up with quite large stacks of things I do not know what to do with.

The crucible is fun, but I need to learn the maps because it is handicapping me at the minute not knowing where other players can come from. The random gear distribution is very annoying though, a bottom player on the losing team got two pieces, along with the second place guy who got 1 piece. I have no idea if this is a random system or you need to hit targets.

Strikes are fun and challenging, I was surprised at just how long it takes to take down a boss on the 3 player ones (Earth at level 8). Must have spent 15-20 minutes on it, with multiple deaths.

I bought the Ghost Edition, so that means I have access to the next two expansions, however I am hoping this is a game to built upon, i.e. patches mean more content and keep other little micro-transactions out of it - no MMO, such as WoW, built it's game by the time of launch. By the sounds of it, it will be built on via. patches because it does feel unfinished in terms of the amount of content.

Overall, very fun and forgiving, less forgiving in strikes with a poor team. Things still confuse me and there isn't really anything to explain what is going on, why I have certain things etc. Story is lacking and the game feels incomplete, but this should be addressed in the coming months. If you enjoy player vs. player, there is definitely a lot of replay value at the moment, there hopefully will be more on the PvE side in the future too.
    Professional Data Monkey

• Andy_89
    Options
    I think what doesn't help with the story is setting - that and you ghost has all the charisma of Gordon Brown.

Gears of War
    COD

Both have 'hollywood' story lines - something this game lacks. GoW2 is easily my favourite story in a game.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps this is just me thinking that the general populous is more technologically advanced than it actually is, but I haven't had a separate modem and router since about 2005, and even then I wouldn't have to turn the modem on every time I wanted to use the internet. That harks back to the dark days of 56k modems when using the internet meant putting the phone line out of action. In my house, my parents' house, and even my grandparents' house, everything from phones to laptops to printers is automatically connected to the internet via the router, which is always on. I (perhaps ignorantly) thought that to be more or less the norm nowadays. Broadband is now exceptionally cheap and most deals come with a free router that has an integrated modem. Given your situation I can understand why you see connecting to the internet as a pain, but chances are you could make your setup significantly more efficient and pay very little, if anything, extra in the process.

we do have broadband. the modem isnt wireless. that is why we had to buy a router when my dad wanted to be able to connect to his smart tv. if we arent using it it gets turned off as leaving it on when not in use would be a waste of electricity.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    we do have broadband. the modem isnt wireless. that is why we had to buy a router when my dad wanted to be able to connect to his smart tv. if we arent using it it gets turned off as leaving it on when not in use would be a waste of electricity.

I am happy to be corrected, but I believe this sort of action can lead to you having slower internet. As I understand it, if you keep turning your modem off and on this gets interpreted by your ISP as a iffy line and will slow your connection down in an attempt to 'correct' - it may be a modern day old wifes tale.

I leave my router on all the time for a number of reasons - one so I can print when I am out and have my printing waiting for me when I get home, and also so I can set stuff to record on sky if I realise something is one I want to see while I am out :rotfl:
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • AlecEiffel
    Options
    Niv wrote: »
    I am happy to be corrected, but I believe this sort of action can lead to you having slower internet. As I understand it, if you keep turning your modem off and on this gets interpreted by your ISP as a iffy line and will slow your connection down in an attempt to 'correct' - it may be a modern day old wifes tale.

I leave my router on all the time for a number of reasons - one so I can print when I am out and have my printing waiting for me when I get home, and also so I can set stuff to record on sky if I realise something is one I want to see while I am out :rotfl:

I've heard this too. And leave the router on for the same reasons!
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    surely they would advise leaving it on 24/7 if not doing so affected performance?
  • AlecEiffel
    Options
    Sky advise it.

7. Keep your router switched on
    It’s important to leave your Sky router permanently switched on so we can stabilise your broadband speed and make sure you’re getting a reliable connection.

http://help.sky.com/articles/broadband-set-up-checklist

Have also read it elsewhere, but not sure what real-life impact people get.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    AlecEiffel wrote: »
    Sky advise it.

It’s important to leave your Sky router permanently switched on so we can stabilise your broadband speed and make sure you’re getting a reliable connection.

sky have an ulterior motive though as they want you to make full use of their on demand service on their tv boxes. they are always sending us little videos to our on demand via the satelite telling us what we are missing and how to ensure we make the most of on demand. thats because we hardly bother connecting it to the net.
    i dont believe my pc has any internet speed issues.
    its not related but sky also keep sending us emails pushing sky go and saying how we are missing out. we dont want sky go. we dont have a smart phone or an ipad etc so have no way of using it anyway but they keep pushing.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    AlecEiffel wrote: »
    Sky advise it.

I've not come across someone intentionally powering their router off for periods of time but I've seen it a few times where the router is unstable and regularly restarting itself or dropping the line sync. It drops the line speed right down to pretty much unusable levels, replacing the router and a few calls to the ISP brought it back to normal.

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport