Holiday Nightmares!

Options

Comments

• alextexmex
    Options
    I can see this thread is going to run and run, with more twists and turns than i think i may be able to cope with each day. ....I do look forward to what drama tomorrows story brings

I personally hope there is no drama. I have taken the advice and having a relaxed day until tomorrow when I can send everything off :)

have to say mind, a good nights sleep makes things feel a lot better doesn't it!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They will not break you. YOU have the power to control whether they get to you or not. Congratulate yourselves on saving yourselves from a holiday from hell. The woman sounds mentally unstable to me and you need to surround yourself with calm people right now. Stay strong. Stay calm.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why doesn't your fiance just take the phone and yell at her back?

I wouldn't let anyone speak to my sick partner in that way, and as for venomous messages, I'd be letting her know that I was reporting her to the police for harrassment.

I'm not surprised that they are annoyed about the lift on Monday, it is short notice to cancel. But they know that you have health issues, why rely on a sick person for all of their leisure pursuits?
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The trouble is that had this been a normal holiday you could have cancelled as a couple leaving the other couple to continue with the holiday. Unfortunately as it's an industry rate deal they can't go unless the "travel agent" goes too .

Frankly they aren't friends -the first comment about you getting ill would ruin THEIR holiday said it all. I had the same situation with a so called "friend" and the stress made me worse so best advice is to realize sooner rather than later that they are NOT friends and let them get on with it. No doubt mutual friends will be treated to their version of how badly you've treated them but in the end the truth will out and they'll be shown up for their self centredness.

Focus on what is important-Your health- and let them get on with it. They aren't your problem unless you allow them to be.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • alextexmex
    Options
    I can understand the problem with not traveling on Monday, they were told over a week ago that I might not be up to it, my abdomen still is very tender and bruised at this point. They said "we will take our chances, don't really want to take a train".

My missus has bit back a few times, but then we get the "you two are being so mean and unfair to me" then the lady is question goes and sobs off to her fella about how its all her fault and we are making it hard for her. I would NEVER will this hell on anyone BUT if she ever gets ill or as frankly terrified as I am, I would have to resist doing all that she's done to me right back, she would prob cry that we were mean all over avain.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    alextexmex wrote: »
    I can understand the problem with not traveling on Monday, they were told over a week ago that I might not be up to it, my abdomen still is very tender and bruised at this point. They said "we will take our chances, don't really want to take a train".

My missus has bit back a few times, but then we get the "you two are being so mean and unfair to me" then the lady is question goes and sobs off to her fella about how its all her fault and we are making it hard for her. I would NEVER will this hell on anyone BUT if she ever gets ill or as frankly terrified as I am, I would have to resist doing all that she's done to me right back, she would prob cry that we were mean all over avain.

That's their problem. They were warned & had time to make alternative arrangements.
    TBH they sound extremely selfish to expect someone who is clearly ill to drive long distances.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 August 2014 at 3:47PM
    Options
    it does rather sound as if this couple are All Take and No Give. It's quite a chore even for a fully fit person to drive 500 miles in one day, let alone a sick person. You may want to think whether there are any benefits at all in this friendship continuing if this is how they behave. I don't know how longterm it is but if you do want to continue, after current performance I'd be inclined to tell them you want some space for a while and will get in touch when you're ready and current feelings have died down.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alextexmex wrote: »
    She's just hit the roof and called me every name under the sun and told me if I don't bring her hard copies of the booking docs in 24 hours and I quote "You are in very deep **** you *******. I don't like being let down!!"

As far as I'm concerned that's it, niceties are off the table! Just because I cannot drive means I'm being yelled at?! Why should I have to take this?

She's off her head, no amount of reasoning or criticism will influence her.

Instead of reacting back in the same anti-social and abusive way (quite a natural response to being under pressure), I would make a concerted effort to remain calm and block all contact, bar perhaps formal written ones where you keep a copy and proof of posting.

It doesn't matter that she is threatening you - her sole actual route of redress would be a civil one, taking you to court, such as the small claims court. Since she will be paid back, and since you have ample proof of your communication, mediation and evidence of health issues, this isn't a case that she could win.

All her venting is empty and pointless so don't let her wind you up. Block their email and change your phone number if it continues.
  • alextexmex
    Options
    To be fair I have had time to relax and lick my wounds today to be honest, took the advice, mobiles off and spent the day with the missus, watching the Allo Allo boxset and then we went for a gentle ride on our motorbikes :D certainly made me feel a bit better, even if now my rather limited energy lately has completely depleted.

Thanks all for all the advice, hopefully there will not be any more developments to speak of but if there is ill let you know. I'm greatful for the kind wishes as well, tomorrow I get my results, hopefully all good!
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    Cancel the holiday give hem copies of payment and cancel in writing and ask for something in writing from travel agent as proof for them
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure