🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Holiday Nightmares!

Options

Comments

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hey Alex, I've only just seen this thread and skim-read through it. Has the insurance paid out yet and if not do you have a time scale for this? Was just wondering when you'd be able to give them their money back and truly never to have to make contact with them again!

If you're still waiting for the insurance payout, if you can afford to then I'd be tempted to pay them yourself and then wait for the insurance money to roll in to reimburse you. Just again so that you can be done with them ASAP.

Hope that all your true friends are rallying around you during treatment. Your true friends will also know that the other couple are talking nonsense, so don't worry about whatever carp they spread about you. Hoping the treatment does its thing as quickly as possible. :)
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »

If you're still waiting for the insurance payout, if you can afford to then I'd be tempted to pay them yourself and then wait for the insurance money to roll in to reimburse you. Just again so that you can be done with them ASAP.

. :)

Really ?

Reward people who slag you off, make untrue accusations that they don't withdraw and apologize for even once the police have said there is no case to answer.

Alex has already said she's having intensive treatment so odds are she isn't earning at the moment. Why on earth should she attempt to appease a pair of bullies.

Stuff it- Let them wait for their blinking money !!! Alex and her boyfriend have far more important issues to concern themselves with.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • alextexmex
    Options
    The insurance company only paid out the claim about 2 weeks ago but on the advice of the police I reimbursed them out of my own pocket as soon as possible. Left me pretty short it had to be said!

I was just glad for it all to be over despite the financial hit.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    What vile people. I'm sure your other friends will see them for what they are, if they bully you like this I bet they've done it to other people too.
  • alextexmex
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Really ?

Reward people who slag you off, make untrue accusations that they don't withdraw and apologize for even once the police have said there is no case to answer.

Alex has already said she's having intensive treatment so odds are she isn't earning at the moment. Why on earth should she attempt to appease a pair of bullies.

Stuff it- Let them wait for their blinking money !!! Alex and her boyfriend have far more important issues to concern themselves with.

If the situation was different and the police hadn't advised me otherwise I would have waited believe me.

And she is also a he :D

Thanks for understanding
  • pinkteapot
    Options
    alextexmex wrote: »
    The insurance company only paid out the claim about 2 weeks ago but on the advice of the police I reimbursed them out of my own pocket as soon as possible. Left me pretty short it had to be said!

I was just glad for it all to be over despite the financial hit.

Really pleased to hear it's all sorted (both financially for you and in terms of being able to fully break ties with them now) and you can focus on much more important things!

Agree with others earlier in the thread - the comments you received before the cancellation, saying that they hoped you were better before the holiday or it would ruin it for them, were outrageous! Definitely people you don't need in your life.
  • pinkteapot
    edited 2 December 2014 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Really ?

I did say *if* they can afford it (ie without it causing them financial hardship). At an extremely stressful time, I personally would much rather have given them their money back so I could forget about them quicker, and would have felt better knowing I had absolutely no reason to deal with them anymore. While I would also have felt the "stuff them" sentiment, dragging things out with them would have just been cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Anyway, financial matters all resolved a couple of weeks ago. :)
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    That is where we see it differently

Even if I had the money I would have made them wait til the insurance payment came through on principle rather than give in to threats and bullying.
    I think the police advice was wrong and they should have been telling this pair to wind their necks in before they ended up on harassment charges. (As it is a civil matter the police should never have got involved anyway)
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    I did say *if* they can afford it (ie without it causing them financial hardship). At an extremely stressful time, I personally would much rather have given them their money back so I could forget about them quicker, and would have felt better knowing I had absolutely no reason to deal with them anymore. While I would also have felt the "stuff them" sentiment, dragging things out with them would have just been cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Anyway, financial matters all resolved a couple of weeks ago. :)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    Wow!

At least they're out of your life now. Let them say what they want; true friends they are spouting their tripe to won't believe them. Might be a good friend-weeding opportunity for others too!

I'm a firm believer in what goes around, comes around. They will get their karma no doubt :)
  • alextexmex
    Options
    That is where we see it differently

Even if I had the money I would have made them wait til the insurance payment came through on principle rather than give in to threats and bullying.
    I think the police advice was wrong and they should have been telling this pair to wind their necks in before they ended up on harassment charges. (As it is a civil matter the police should never have got involved anyway)

Your right, it is defined as a civil matter BUT as the officer said "if the holiday was never booked or you didn't cancel and went without them, it would be defined as theft or fraud".

At least I proved it to be a load of horse**** and the police were left in no doubt where I stood, I surrendered copies of everything I had and they contacted the travel agent who confirmed everything I had said, but certainly gave me one hell of a scare! I am still licking my wounds but feel betrayed and angry still, I should feel relieved and to a extent I do, but still can't believe the hell they put me through just to get back at me for doing something I had no choice in which to do.

Lesson learned, even if they came grovelling for mercy, I would just shut the door in their face. Right now my priority is getting well, after time in and out of hospital, being put on sick leave from work and my wonderful lady supporting me through it all I don't think I have the energy to deal with the drama that they drag with them wherever they go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport