Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,841 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    No, encouraged by 'Devo Max', they'll be wanting another one about five years after they get rid of the Big Fish.

What they want and what they'll get are two different things. Both sides sold this as a 'once in a generation' opportunity.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Now is the time to remember those infamous polls - one of which (from the lamentable YouGov) actually changed government policy.
    Yup, talk is cheap, always follow the money, thank you Betfair
  • robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2014 at 11:55AM
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Well, I and tens of millions of others had money with Scottish based financial institutions, and was bitten zero times, so if we are now twice as shy as that, it's still zero.

The 'full independence' question is dead for a while, whether it's for ten years, a generation, or ten generations. Powers that may be envisaged to be devolved to Scotland will likely not include randomly freezing the assets of rUK savers or investors or crippling the functions of scottish banks or investment managers. So, when you are doing your due diligence on potential savings or investment opportunities, it seems a bit extreme to have already ruled out a huge subset of those opportunities.

It doesn't seem extreme to me. By saying once bitten what I mean is that I was worried about my savings in the event of a yes vote which could have happened.
    I would rather not be in that situation again thanks. I can assure you I will not be.
  • robin61
    Options
    I suspect there will now be a big shift to voting labour across Scotland now in the forthcoming General Election. I'm pleased Scotland voted No to Independence. I believe that there will be a Labour government in power with Johann Lamont heading up the Scottish parliament and Ed Miliband taking his seat at Westminster. My feeling is SNP voters may shift there alliance.........
    Probably they will switch to Labour I don't think the Tories will get much support in Scotland but in England I am hoping people will trust the Tories on the economy more than Labour after the mess they left us in with the huge deficit they were building up.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robin61 wrote: »
    I am afraid I will not be considering any Scottish based financial institutions for my future investments. I really think we will end up in the same position in a few years.

That sounds like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Money in scottish financial institutions remains as safe as in the rest of the UK as the FSCS continues to apply throughout the UK. Should this ever change, it certainly won't change overnight.
  • robin61
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    That sounds like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Money in scottish financial institutions remains as safe as in the rest of the UK as the FSCS continues to apply throughout the UK. Should this ever change, it certainly won't change overnight.

That all depends how confident you are about whether the Scottish Nationalists will be back for another try. I agree at the moment it is just as safe. A few years ago this issue would never have crossed my mind but for me it is an issue now.
    Everyone needs to make their own decisions of course but personally I won't be taking the chance when I have so many other options.
  • Borrowedtune
    Options
    I am now very happy (and relieved) to stick with my Scottish-based investments, as I chose them (and have stuck with them) for good reasons...

Even better, the half-case of malt whisky that I ordered yesterday from my favourite on-line retailer has arrived this morning 3 days ahead of schedule (I always go for the cheapest postal option), so I can have a dram or two tonight to toast the result...
  • scott_lithgows
    Options
    I don't live in Scotland so I don't normally take a lot of notice of their local politics, but I was up in their Parliament for business reasons back in June and met/saw a few of the leaders.

I have to say that Johann Lamont has to be one of the least inspiring political leaders I've ever come across. They could maybe do with getting Gordon Brown to take over and provide some spark, because Salmond and his sidekick seem to be running rings around Labour up there at the moment...

Change Jim Murphy for Gordon Brown,
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect there will now be a big shift to voting labour across Scotland now in the forthcoming General Election. I believe that there will be a Labour government in power with Johann Lamont heading up the Scottish parliament and Ed Miliband taking his seat at Westminster. My feeling is SNP voters may shift there alliance.........

Not a chance. The SNP is the governing party in Scotland, albeit not by much, and there will be no mass defection to Labour. Scottish Labour is not what it once was and is seen as a mere extension of a Westminster Labour party which has moved increasingly to the right. The thought of Johann Lamont being the boss of anything is frightening. She's no John Smith. Those who voted the SNP into power, in my opinion, are generally happy with their performance in government, so I don't see that changing, not withstanding tactical voting in a general election, which I don't really see happening either.
  • clayton16749
    Options
    Nice to hear salmond has stepped down. I'm almost as happy about that as I am about the No vote!

I'm sure someone equally as loath-able will pop up to take his place though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure