Scottish independence

Options
What views do forum members have on the markets reaction to a YES or NO vote.

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My view is that we will see how they react to the vote. I cba speculating.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Markets hate uncertainty and a Yes vote will create that. It won't be clear for some time how a split will be implemented (e.g. currency, EU membership) and what effect it will have on businesses. While that process is going on I would expect volatility and nervous markets, continuing until all the details have been worked out.
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I doubt it'll have much effect tbh, the FTSE100 is actually quite internationally spread. Probably will just affect smaller companies that are reliant on Scotland, of which none spring to mind.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    The issue may be of importance to people in Scotland but it has very little, if any relevance for global stock markets which will trundle on without a blip whether the vote is yae or nay.
  • serialtraveler
    Options
    Does anybody have a view about how bank savings guarantees will work if there is independence and will there be an exchange rate issue in that event?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 495 Forumite
    Options
    i agree with reaper - it will cause volatility. How can you say scotland independence will have no effect on global markets! - we are talking about splitting up the UK - a global power and centre of the financial industry!

i think its been largely ignored for quite a while - mainly as the expected result was an overwhelming 'no' - so no impact. But now, its a closer run game - i think worries will start to settle in. Im considering selling a number of stocks and closing positions ahead of the vote.
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think a No vote will not have much effect, but a Yes would hit UK shares - I have cutt back my UK exposure just in case.
  • BarleyGB
    BarleyGB Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder how much its surpressing the market at the moment, UK smaller company funds have been flat for 6 months, FTSE bouncing between 6600-6800.

Personally im hoping for a small bounce and updward trend in UK markets post Sept 18th?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think there'll be any effect at all.

But a 'No' vote is going to cost us all a fortune if we have to go along with Cameron's all-advised bribe (sorry, promise) of 'devo max' as a reward.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it's a bit simplistic to suggest that the outcome of the vote won't matter to the markets. It may already be priced in to the [STRIKE]gambles[/STRIKE] investments of the larger investors, but surely a 'Yes' vote would see a fall, with a 'No' vote seeing a far smaller rise?

As a buyer, I'd be happy to see a Yes vote :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure