Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    It will happen. Spain and Belgium, mindful of wanting to keep their own "independently leaning minorities" are never going to agree to accept an independent Scotland into the EU, since it represents the thin end of the wedge for those aspiratons.

Good.
    EFTA would be a cheaper organisation to join, as its slimmer and more efficient than bloated Brussels, Scotland would get back control over its fishing fields, they could charge all foreigners fees for university courses, they could be in a currency union if they wanted, they could do deals with any other countries.

They'd be welcome too, and no EFTA member has been refused entry to the EEA if they wanted it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    can't ban us from post-code lottery

to be serious,Better Together campaign has been a farce

I expect YES to win in 2 weeks time

only guy who should be worried is punter who who put 800k on at 1/8 NO
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Having just seen tonight's TV debate, as usual Nicola was on fire - with a reasoned and effective response to the barbs from Labour's Jim Murphy. Watch the polls continue to build for YES.
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the break up why don't we just call Scotland the UK, then they can keep EU membership and the rest of UK can leave :)
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    Having just seen tonight's TV debate, as usual Nicola was on fire - with a reasoned and effective response to the barbs from Labour's Jim Murphy. Watch the polls continue to build for YES.

I think you are looking through Salmond and Sturgeon fish eyed lenses. Will the two of them resign in the event of a NO vote?

No they will not.
  • InvestInPoker
    Options
    gik wrote: »
    I think you are looking through Salmond and Sturgeon fish eyed lenses. Will the two of them resign in the event of a NO vote?

No they will not.

I have been wondering what will happen to the SNP in the event of NO vote? Surely they should cease to exist and vanish in a puff of smoke.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been wondering what will happen to the SNP in the event of NO vote? Surely they should cease to exist and vanish in a puff of smoke.

That underestimates the vast egos of the borderline psychopaths who end up (the vast majority of) politicians. They'll just say it's a disappointment, the fight goes on, and we will definitely win the next referendum :rotfl:
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is probably going to come across as a bit of a rant but I'm genuinely curious how some of the things I mention will be resolved.

I'm really wondering how much this has been thought through by the Yes people. All I seem to see on the news is 'We will keep the pound, we want the NHS to stay the same, we will be fast-tracked into the EU' as if the UK or the EU has no say in the matter.

Independence doesn't mean to me you can pick and choose which bits of the UK infrastructure and economy you want to keep. If Scotland wants to be independent then they should be like Canada, India, Australia etc, make a complete break of it all, become part of the commonwealth but that's it.

The UK government (presumably), as Scotland will be an independent country, will they withdraw all UK Gov't civil service jobs, all central and regional funding (a few hundred million in rural broadband expansion alone), isolate and hand back the Scottish elements of things like the NHS, Army, Navy, RAF, Customs & Excise, BBC (are they going to switch off or hand-over all transmitters in Scotland?), move the nuclear submarine base back to UK, hand over share of National debt, withdraw all UK government contracts?

What about all those call centre jobs for UK based firms and especially government departments - are those jobs in Scotland going to be brought back to high unemployment areas in the UK to help our unemployment problem. Not much point the UK continuing to pay for jobs in an independent Scotland when we have unemployment here in UK.

What about Scottish people living in England - are they going to have to prove they are capable of supporting themselves under immigration rules?

What about pension savings - mine is currently with Standard Life (subject to Scottish Law) and I'm damn sure I don't want it in a 'foreign' country where it could be liable to whatever taxes a Scottish parliament could dream up with the UK having no say in it. I'm starting a secondary pension arrangement soon and there is no way I am going to go with a provider that is based in Scotland, it's a risk I'm not prepared to accept.

Admittedly I haven't been following the whole debate closely and some of these may have been answered already but if a Yes vote is announced I would be very surprised if the UK didn't take a very hard line on a lot of the above and that's just off the top of my head.
  • InvestInPoker
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    That underestimates the vast egos of the borderline psychopaths who end up (the vast majority of) politicians. They'll just say it's a disappointment, the fight goes on, and we will definitely win the next referendum :rotfl:

Haha yeah, but in the event of a "yes" vote there will be NO going back and NO future referendum and that has been agreed already, so the same should apply. If its a NO vote then the SNP should clearly automatically cease to exist.
  • InvestInPoker
    Options
    kangoora wrote: »
    This is probably going to come across as a bit of a rant but I'm genuinely curious how some of the things I mention will be resolved.

I'm really wondering how much this has been thought through by the Yes people. All I seem to see on the news is 'We will keep the pound, we want the NHS to stay the same, we will be fast-tracked into the EU' as if the UK or the EU has no say in the matter.

Independence doesn't mean to me you can pick and choose which bits of the UK infrastructure and economy you want to keep.

Your post is great Kangoora and asks a lot of very valid questions. I cannot answer most of them but this one caught my eye.
    What about Scottish people living in England - are they going to have to prove they are capable of supporting themselves under immigration rules?

I am Scottish and live in Scotland, although I am moving to England very soon. From what I understand and have read if it is a YES vote then during the 18 months between the yes vote and actual legal independence happening all Scots people with UK passports will get to choose to either have a new joint Scotland/UK passport or simply a Scottish only one.

Presumably your problem could be solved by them taking the joint UK/Scotland passport. However I would agree, if someone chooses to be entirely Scottish with a Scottish only passport presumably they would be an immigrant of some sort in England.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure