Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    If it's true that UK GDP is "better together" and a "no to independence" vote removes the uncertainty about Scotland maybe dropping the pound, that should be a small positive for GBP as a currency. So rather than worrying about which equities to tilt towards, I might go "long sterling" against dollars and/or Euro with a cheeky spreadbet or two.

Of course, by the third week of September there will have been more uk, us, europe interest rate meetings and other economic indicators that could have a bigger effect over the time period. So I might leave it until nearer the time before thinking about it further. I already have some money on No at the bookies which I don't want to add to without higher quality polls data, but an FX rate punt might hedge the effect of a strengthened pound on my USD cash and investments, and I'm generally bullish on the pound anyway.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Haha - I had forgotten that you could bet on almost anything :D
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    turnout under 80%--- NO win --Scotland 10/11

turnout over 80%
    YES win--Scotland 10/1

ladcroakes

biggest ever turnout referendum bill on home rule 67%
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 27 August 2014 at 4:28PM
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »

Yes I had some on there when No was paying 1.25, 1.35 and 1.45. I locked in a profit on some of the higher odds bets when it dipped below 1.2. Since then though I've relented and added a few more at lower odds, think it was 1.16ish at weekend.

However I'm conscious that the huge wall of money sitting on No is coming from across the whole UK while according to some other bookies, the bets from Scots were much more skewed toward the Yes camp, which is disconcerting. It might merely tell us that the kind of Scot that gambles at long odds is a passionate (perhaps misguided) patriot, but these are all voters.

I don't have anything bet on the turnout rates as I think that's trickier to call -as there has not been a vote quite like this before and I'm sure turnout will be high, I just don't know how high.
  • Mirno
    Mirno Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it'll have too much impact FTSE wise, but I'm interested in what it'll do to bond prices.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A transfer of head offices south of the border will be extremely positive for the UK.

Oil is traded in $ so has no direct impact on the UK.
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    However I'm conscious that the huge wall of money sitting on No is coming from ask the UK while according to some other bookies, the bets from Scots were much more skewed toward the Yes camp, which is disconcerting. It might merely tell us that the kind of Scot that gambles at long odds is a passionate (perhaps misguided) patriot, but these are all voters.

Perhaps they are No voters hedging the risk :)
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got to be some reaction to a yes, but if they vote for independence, and then refuse to accept any share of the national debt, then I can't see world markets having much trust in a new Scottish government's promises or bonds, after refusing responsibility for historic liabilities, especially if financials also relocate to London.
  • anoncol
    anoncol Posts: 982 Forumite
    Options
    Only scots care about this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business