Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ProudDad wrote: »
    The current UK is a member of the EU and no one would question our sovereignty

What's it like to live in a world where you've never heard of UKIP?! ;)
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    twitter journal

Lots of voters switching to #Yes at the last moment because they're disgusted with biased media that has destroyed their trust in UKGov.

Something wonderful happening across Scotland. By 10am 18.5% of people voted; 22% of Glasgow's Gorbals.
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ProudDad wrote: »
    In fairness Clapton I think the situation in Spain, Portugal, Greece, Ireland is of their own making and would have happened anyway. Being in the EU stopped these countries collapsing. Also the EU has brought long standing peace to western europe and is an institution envied around the world. All unions have there issues and the EU isnt working maybe the UK isnt either maybe we should just dissolve both cause you cant argue for one union and against the other. I am simply arguing of changing from one union to the other as being part of a bigger union with more say on what happens in our own economy is exactly what the British nations need but these should be managed seperately.

how would the southern European countries 'collapsed' without the EU?
    how would that have shown itself ?

devaluation of their currencies would have solved most of their problems
    high interest rates would have prevented asset bubbles and they would have had much lower debts
    unemployment would be lower
    GDP would have been higher
    the rise of the 'right' would have been less.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    evenasus wrote: »
    Someone should sit them down and ask them if they know the meaning of independent.

For some Yes voters, they truly want Independence and feel it is in the best interests of Scotland.

For a huge majority of Yes voters, they have been taken in by Salmond's Utopia vision of an Independent Scotland where he tells us that we will be better off by controlling our own finances and making our own decisions. Some are just going along with the mantra that you can't tell us what to do so we're going to vote Yes just to spite you.

Unfortunately when you try to discuss how we can control our economic levers when, in the event of a currency union, all those levers are being pulled by a foreign country that is 10 times bigger than us and with needs that will totally be the opposite of ours, their eyes just glaze over and if you get any reply at all, it's either "It's OUR pound" or "They're bluffing".

No-one has been able to tell me why it's not in our best interests to have a currency union nor why this is simply not being truly Independent.
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    mori just tweeted

IPSOS MORI confirm that their opinion polls are no longer valid if turnout in Scotland hits 80%
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »

No-one has been able to tell me why it's not in our best interests to have a currency union nor why this is simply not being truly Independent.

Did you mean no-one has from yes been able to tell you why it IS in your best interests to have currency union?

I'd thought the reasons why it's not a good idea were reasonably clear.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    black_taxi wrote: »
    mori just tweeted

IPSOS MORI confirm that their opinion polls are no longer valid if turnout in Scotland hits 80%

None of the polls are accurate and their prognostications should be treated as being of entertainment value alone.

There was a good article by Willard Foxton about this in the Telegraph today: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/willardfoxton2/100014223/scottish-referendum-should-political-polling-be-banned/

I'm not sure I can accept his conclusion - that polls should be banned - but it is certainly an arguable proposition.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Did you mean no-one has from yes been able to tell you why it IS in your best interests to have currency union?

No I didn't. Everybody thinks it is a good idea because Alec Salmond has said it is so it must be true. They cannot see (or understand) why it would not be a good idea.

I suppose what I really meant was that very few have an idea what a currency union actually is and what it entails. They can neither tell me the reasons for or against it.
    I'd thought the reasons why it's not a good idea were reasonably clear.

Only to those who actually have an understanding of the financial and economic implications.
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    Betfair Exchange@BetfairSports 1m Recent political markets in Scotland have seen a series of massive turnarounds. Beware if you think 1.18 about No is free money.
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    another referendum wont be happening with-in 20 years if vote NO