Options

Comments

• Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 September 2014 at 8:32PM
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    I suppose what I really meant was that very few have an idea what a currency union actually is and what it entails. They can neither tell me the reasons for or against it.

I posted on here asking why the SNP wants currency union with rUK rather than sterlingisation. I have also emailed, twittered and facebooked the SNP asking the question but no one has even attempted an answer.

If they want rUK to moderate its monetary policy that is completely unrealistic. If they think the economies of the independent countries will always require require the same monetary policies they have no need for currency union- sterlingisation would do just fine and they would get the symbolism of setting their own monetary policy
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • psionicman2000
    Options
    i would of thought the scots would of been too drunk to vote so turnout would be low :)
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    PeterOuld 4m My final #indyref forecast an hour before the count - Yes edging up slightly to 47.9% - chance of Yes victory 4% - http://forecastuk.org.uk/?p=86
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    North Lanarkshire 0200

If NO wins here, then I’d be fairly certain that Scotland is staying in the UK. A YES win with over 53% or so would indicate that the nationalists are on course to go very close.
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 September 2014 at 9:20PM
    Options
    black_taxi wrote: »
    PeterOuld 4m My final #indyref forecast an hour before the count - Yes edging up slightly to 47.9% - chance of Yes victory 4% - http://forecastuk.org.uk/?p=86

Doesn't quite match your previous post. 4% yes means there's a 96% chance of a NO victory doesn't it? Or are you suggesting this poll is wrong?
    black_taxi wrote: »
    No poll puts YES on a win

HUGE TURNOUT

expect red faces
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Chadsman wrote: »
    I posted on here asking why the SNP wants currency union with rUK rather than sterlingisation. I have also emailed, twittered and facebooked the SNP asking the question but no one has even attempted an answer.

I have long suspected that the SNP don't actually know the answer either. Alec Salmond was always against staying with the pound. He has changed that stance purely and simply to win voters as he knows that most Scots don't want a different currency.
    If they want rUK to moderate its monetary policy that is completely unrealistic. If they think the economies of the independent countries will always require require the same monetary policies they have no need for currency union- sterlingisation would do just fine and they would get the symbolism of setting their own monetary policy

Sterlingisation gives the SNP a huge headache as it gives all of the negatives of the currency union (ie setting of interest rates not in your favour) and none of the benefits (ie a lender of last resort).
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 September 2014 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Sterlingisation gives the SNP a huge headache as it gives all of the negatives of the currency union (ie setting of interest rates not in your favour) and none of the benefits (ie a lender of last resort).
    I know that... but as you say Mr Salmond apparently doesn't or is unwilling to explain. I have never heard anyone from the 'yes' side state their reasons for wanting currency union. If they had it would be possible to engage in debate on the matter but...

For rUK rates to be not condusive to the needs of iScotland implies they need rUK rates set not according to the needs of rUK but according to the needs of someone else.

If Scotland does vote for independence I will wish them the very best of luck and bon voyage... but that will also mean rUK gets independence from Scotland including granting rUK the right to set its policies solely according to the needs of its own peoples- not Scotland's.
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • Mistermeaner
    Options
    If the result is 50:50 give ir take a few % maybe the best thing would be to split scotland in 2 (east and west probably fairest) and everyone shuffle around depending which bit they support.

Sammond can have the west and no debt.
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

yeah, but sterlingisation is the nearest they could get to their "it's our pound too and we will keep it" slogan/promise. Like a currency union, sterlingisation would still be million lightyears from independence, too.

Although a part of me still wishes everyone would find out how scottish independence would pan out, my soul is really with the "No" camp as they promise so much more hope for the future than the "Yes" camp.
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    Lest anyone forgot, everyone can have their own referendum as the UK is as free country: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/15/boris-johnson-launches-bid-to-become-his-own-independent-country_n_5813182.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure