Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    OK now that is all over we need to have a settlement which is fair to the whole of the UK. I must say I am not confident our politicians will deliver this. The West Lothian question which with more powers likely to be devolved to Scotland needs to be addressed so that the rest of the UK gets fairness as well. Let's see but unless they get behind this the voters in England will not forgive them. I reckon the Tories will want to sort this but I doubt whether the others will look beyond their own interests.
    For me it is a case of once bitten twice shy. I am afraid I will not be considering any Scottish based financial institutions for my future investments. I really think we will end up in the same position in a few years.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Invoking the power of nightmares swung it, as tends to be the case when a status quo is threatened.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • lexington013
    Options
    I suspect there will now be a big shift to voting labour across Scotland now in the forthcoming General Election. I'm pleased Scotland voted No to Independence. I believe that there will be a Labour government in power with Johann Lamont heading up the Scottish parliament and Ed Miliband taking his seat at Westminster. My feeling is SNP voters may shift there alliance.........
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    robin61 wrote: »
    For me it is a case of once bitten twice shy. I am afraid I will not be considering any Scottish based financial institutions for my future investments. I really think we will end up in the same position in a few years.
    Well, I and tens of millions of others had money with Scottish based financial institutions, and was bitten zero times, so if we are now twice as shy as that, it's still zero.

The 'full independence' question is dead for a while, whether it's for ten years, a generation, or ten generations. Powers that may be envisaged to be devolved to Scotland will likely not include randomly freezing the assets of rUK savers or investors or crippling the functions of scottish banks or investment managers. So, when you are doing your due diligence on potential savings or investment opportunities, it seems a bit extreme to have already ruled out a huge subset of those opportunities.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Has the Westminster Establishment in order to hang on to its power, bribed the Scots with English taxpayer's money?
    (Public spending per person £1400 ,per year higher in Scotland etc)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Well, I and tens of millions of others had money with Scottish based financial institutions, and was bitten zero times, so if we are now twice as shy as that, it's still zero.

The 'full independence' question is dead for a while, whether it's for ten years, a generation, or ten generations. Powers that may be envisaged to be devolved to Scotland will likely not include randomly freezing the assets of rUK savers or investors or crippling the functions of scottish banks or investment managers. So, when you are doing your due diligence on potential savings or investment opportunities, it seems a bit extreme to have already ruled out a huge subset of those opportunities.

too true

however if the returns on 'english' financial products is the same as 'scottish' then you might as well go for the English ones as you it saves you having to move them is 10-15 year time.
  • Borrowedtune
    Options
    I suspect there will now be a big shift to voting labour across Scotland now in the forthcoming General Election. I'm pleased Scotland voted No to Independence. I believe that there will be a Labour government in power with Johann Lamont heading up the Scottish parliament and Ed Miliband taking his seat at Westminster. My feeling is SNP voters may shift there alliance.........

I don't live in Scotland so I don't normally take a lot of notice of their local politics, but I was up in their Parliament for business reasons back in June and met/saw a few of the leaders.

I have to say that Johann Lamont has to be one of the least inspiring political leaders I've ever come across. They could maybe do with getting Gordon Brown to take over and provide some spark, because Salmond and his sidekick seem to be running rings around Labour up there at the moment...
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    black_taxi wrote: »
    another referendum wont be happening with-in 20 years if vote NO
    No, encouraged by 'Devo Max', they'll be wanting another one about five years after they get rid of the Big Fish.
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    The last minute bribe by Cameron et all for more powers for Scotland, have meant that the election was win win for the SNP.

They initially wanted 3 options on the ballot paper, yes, no and Devo max.

In the end there was 2 options, yes or Devo Max, the SNP have got what they wanted - more power devolved to Scotland, they may in time get independence, but for now I would say they are pretty happy.
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Now is the time to remember those infamous polls - one of which (from the lamentable YouGov) actually changed government policy.

Pollsters, much like financial journalists and economists, are often regarded as gurus. It's not a bad analogy. Most of them are fake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure