I am such an idiot! When will I learn?

Options

Comments

• Cwtchie
    Cwtchie Posts: 331 Forumite
    Options
    Just been catching up and wow how much have you managed to pay off???? Fab! You are definitely sounding much more focused and with it than when I was last here. Funny how a little bit of organising and sorting out has such a massive impact on your feelings. You must feel so proud! Btw have you got a bread maker? :)
    £250 shopping, diesel and any other spends
    December 16- January 15 £345.06/250.00 -£95.06
    £2 saving a day for christmas 2017 £0/£730
    Total debt paid off before 26 December 2017 £3142.31/14,053.85 = £10911.54 left to go
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I wonder if Nationwide have a script when you want to cancel the card. They "hinted" that there was "something" going to happen. Anyways they talked you out of cancelling.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Cwtchie - I am much more focused - still easily tempted to spend money but doing ok I think - I am not sure I can sustain the level of payment month in month out unless I have a complete mind set change - i still can't resist the odd bottle of wine occasionally. Friday I was invited out for tea and should of said no - but I went and spent £30 i hadn't planned to spend! I know I have be critised on here for not having had my true 'LBM' as I still do these things - but I have drastically cut down my spending on rubbish and have made some other changes to my SOA that is having an impact. I am also much more focused on paying off my debt rather than feeling sorry for myself!

I do have a bread maker but I don't use it (its in the garage!) I usually only buy one 50/50 loaf for kids per week and 1 small brown loaf for me which usually last 2 weeks - I keep them in the freezer and only take out what I need. My DD3 prefers wraps for lunches. I am not sure we would eat a home made loaf quickly enough.

gfplux I think Nationwide probably do have a script but I will wait a month and if nothing comes through I will cancel. I desprately want a 0% card and was turned down in Sept - the only reason I can see is having too much available credit. Not sure how long I should wait (after cancelling Nationwide) to apply again.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    judi - it's usually suggested to wait for 6 months after being turned down for a CC before applying again so think I'd wait until end Feb/early March before applying again.

Denise
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Dont knock yourself for having the odd bottle of wine or social outing.

Life becomes an existence if you dont incorperate treats. You are still going in the right direction. Yes it may take a little longer but you will get there!
    X
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Denise - thats what i thought but I am so impatient and want to cut the intrest as soon as possible!

Thanks Mare - I know if I stop myself from doing everything I will stuggle to stay focused - I am takimg DD2 to see DD1 this weekend - I have a full tank of fuel so won't have to spend any money on travel and I'm hoping my Dada (who lives in the same area) treats us to dinner (cheeky I know!) but the girls have informed me that there is fair in town that they want to go to- It will be fun but not cheap I suspect!

I have £3.80 in my purse and really don't want to lift and cash this week - I haven't been food shopping as I am trying to use everything up but I will need toilet roll and bread at some point soon!
    I have £115 in my bank - to do me until the 24th!

18 days to payday!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    £115 for 18 days, is almost £6-40 per day, which (provide you don't have any major unplanned expenses) should be easily doable.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2014 at 1:14PM
    Options
    judi - this casual attempt for another CC has produced the effect you neither needed nor wanted. Any application for credit leaves a footprint/trace.
    If you didn't know this, you should know it now - and remember it.
    I know you thought you'd thought it through, but that shows a lack of understanding and basic finance industry knowledge.
    In your case, it is not good.
    You really need to get a trustworthy disinterested advisor to make you aware of basic finance industry mechanics. That's at the heart of MSE and a core reason for Martin continuing to advocate £££numeracy/literacy in early education.
    #
    A CAP Money Course would be excellent for you and I absolutely believe you would become a brilliant advocate for it and practitioner of it.

When I read ' but I am so impatient and want to cut the interest as soon as possible! ' and the posts relating to that, I feel you need to be slowed and steadied again.

Treats definitely have an integral place, but you don't scratch that itch in the old way which means it returns stronger than ever. As you say, '.but I went and spent £30 I hadn't planned to spend! I know I have been criticised on here for not having had my true 'LBM' as I still do these things

Let's not even say 'criticised', but we can all observe decisions and behaviour which are symptomatic of 'not having had my true 'LBM''
    #
    Your foraging en famille activities of the other weekend showed that other time-spending works better, = permanent memory-bank good, not as an off-bandwagon recurrence of old, echoing previous attempts.
    #

I have a full tank of fuel so won't have to spend any money on travel - but judi, this IS money already spent. It didn't arrive in your tank as a freebie. The amount used in mileage can be costed. In practice, it should be factored into, and against, normal weekly mileage, with other things having to take reductions to balance the books. It IS money, judi - real money, real spending, real £££s fewer to spare on other driving or other outlay.
    #
    When I see this:
    Debts - Sept 2014 total =£19014 Oct 2014 Total = 17819
    Nationwide OD1 - 738 Nationwide OD2 - 158/0
    Smile OD - 500 First Diect OD - 414/0
    Nationwide CC - 150/0 BarclayCard CC - 6742/6613
    Tesco CC 4889/4792 Tesco Loan - 5423/5176

I am really seeing this:

October 2014 Debt Total = £17819
    BarclayCard CC - £6613
    Tesco Loan - £5176
    Tesco CC £4792
    Nationwide OD1 - £738
    Smile OD - £500

[Sept 2014 Debt total = £19014
    Paid Off £1195]

You'll have every encouragement from me judi - that's a given, but so is the concern that this earnest endeavour does not peter out, as your others have.

This is, after all, why you have started this Thread - to become debt-free :jAND STAY THAT WAY:j.

You have an income level which makes this possible and the drive and ability to self-improve. All great+++s.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    Options
    judi24 wrote: »
    Thanks Cwtchie - I am much more focused - still easily tempted to spend money but doing ok I think - I am not sure I can sustain the level of payment month in month out unless I have a complete mind set change - i still can't resist the odd bottle of wine occasionally. Friday I was invited out for tea and should of said no - but I went and spent £30 i hadn't planned to spend! I know I have be critised on here for not having had my true 'LBM' as I still do these things - but I have drastically cut down my spending on rubbish and have made some other changes to my SOA that is having an impact. I am also much more focused on paying off my debt rather than feeling sorry for myself!

I do have a bread maker but I don't use it (its in the garage!) I usually only buy one 50/50 loaf for kids per week and 1 small brown loaf for me which usually last 2 weeks - I keep them in the freezer and only take out what I need. My DD3 prefers wraps for lunches. I am not sure we would eat a home made loaf quickly enough.

gfplux I think Nationwide probably do have a script but I will wait a month and if nothing comes through I will cancel. I desprately want a 0% card ahnd was turned down in Sept - the only reason I can see is having too much available credit. Not sure how long I should wait (after cancelling Nationwide) to apply again.

There is nothing wrong with having treats and nights out, but they need to be budgeted for. You have had a few of these "I wasn't intending to spend that" moments and they do add up. That £30 you weren't intending to spend would have paid one of your household bills this month or filled your petrol tank up. You need to set aside an amount for treats and amount for nights outs each month. Once it's gone it's gone. Then you can enjoy them guilt free and also it will focus your mind on what you really want to do. I know I am less inclined to waste money on a takeaway if I know it will mean less money for a night out.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    I agree on the setting a budget for treats idea as then it makes you prioritise what is really important to you and yes..........once its gone, its gone. In the same token, if you have left over £££s from your treat budget, roll that over to add to the next money you put aside for treats as then when a month comes by that more social demands are put on you............you should in theory have the money there to pay for it rather than adding to the card or borrowing money from another pot which can be demoralising.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure