We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: BT to announce price hikes this weekend

Options

Comments

• sat_mad
    sat_mad Posts: 80 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So by December, Line Rental Saver will have increased by 20% in four months - such a joke.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is turning into a 'why do I need a land line' broadband debate again.

Virgin offer a no land line BB contract and are the only ones IIRC. Or one could go mobile (costs a fortune) or satellite, £60 - £90 a month depending on which plan is selected. But hey, you haven't got a land line anymore. Happy days.

:money:
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    This is turning into a 'why do I need a land line' broadband debate again.

Virgin offer a no land line BB contract and are the only ones IIRC. Or one could go mobile (costs a fortune) or satellite, £60 - £90 a month depending on which plan is selected. But hey, you haven't got a land line anymore. Happy days.

:money:

No it isn't it is to discuss BT's recent price hike announcement and one solution is to dump them and go elsewhere as you said. This could be to another operator or a mobile solution, or even nothing at all. I am merely discussing alternatives to stuffing BT's cash cow and subsidising their football tax.

As I have no interest in the televisual claptrap being peddled by BT and indeed sky (we don't have cable Virgin here) like I said for me a very possible option is to dump the landline and use my 3 mobile which costs £15 a month for internet, texts and 300 minutes to any mobiles and landlines. Even BT can't match that.

Considering my pension isn't set to rise by circa 6.5% why would I want to pay BT 6.5% more if I can get away with not doing so?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Because when the line fails I ring them up, they answer rapidly, check the line there and then, book the engineer in agreement with my availability on the phone real time, they divert the calls to my mobile free of charge, the engineer turns up when he says and the problem is fixed.

My time is valuable....BT don't waste it.
    None of this "we will check your line for 72 hours" then we might actually possibly think about doing something about it" and that's after the unfortunate subscriber has spent 45 minutes on the phone as it appears from the Plusnet forums what happens there.

So BT can divert calls from a faulty landline to mobile. Do they similarly allow you to use a neighbours Openzone wifi for free if your broadband has a fault?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    You could have course have been saving £24pa by using a DD instead of paying by cheque, and a further £30 or so saving by using Line Rental Saver. If you object to DD payment, how do you pay your monthly account with 3?
    It may work for you, but for most users, mobile broadband is simply not an adequate substitute for fixed line broadband via ADSL or FTTC. The monthly mobile data allowance within your £15 tariff is unlikely to be adequate if you cancel your BT broadband. There are huge areas of the UK where there is still no 3G signal.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • SimonDeLancey
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    OFCOM banned auto-renewing contracts a while back. There are no longer any auto-renewing BT contracts.

Well, that's news to me, since BT appears to have auto-renewed our contract last time round. I say "appears" since nobody from BT asked us if we wanted to renew our contract, and secondly, they quoted cancellation charges of £360 to me last month which would seem to imply that we aren't on the "monthly rolling contract".

Should I be making an official complaint about this?
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 25 August 2014 at 11:19AM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    You could have course have been saving £24pa by using a DD instead of paying by cheque, and a further £30 or so saving by using Line Rental Saver. If you object to DD payment, how do you pay your monthly account with 3?
    It may work for you, but for most users, mobile broadband is simply not an adequate substitute for fixed line broadband via ADSL or FTTC. The monthly mobile data allowance within your £15 tariff is unlikely to be adequate if you cancel your BT broadband. There are huge areas of the UK where there is still no 3G signal.

My 3 phone is Pay As You Go. I use a voucher from the newsagent to pay. Amazing value huh? £15 for 30 days gets me unlimited data, texts and 300 minutes yet BT charge me nearly half that to pay them in the newsagent or down the bank before even paying any of my line rental and calls and privacy.

It's all very well these savers you mention but I suspect the main demographic paying £6 a quarter to not pay by DD are pensioners - ergo the poorer end of the spectrum, who have been used to paying by cash or cheque for many years. Also those who don't have bank account. I suspect many have not noticed the £5 privacy stealth charge go one - despite notification as many pensioners actually still trust their utility companies and banks to not be ripping them off. The line rental saver is great if one can afford to stump up nearly £160 in one go - quite hard when you are on a pension. Especially if like me you were daft enough to put a bit by for your old age and are not entitled to pension credit handouts.

To me it seems BT have become shysters with their auto contract renewal sharp practices etc etc. No longer the friendly, trustworthy telecoms provider they were.

When I called them the other day to grizzle they seemed more concerned with selling me their rubbishy TV than dealing with my issue. They have lost sense of purpose. The 150 helpline less than useless with multiple option menus, some robot who asks you to speak and they says "I didn't understand that" punctuated by sales adverts about BT Sport and not to mention the call waiting time.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2014 at 11:32AM
    Options
    Well, that's news to me, since BT appears to have auto-renewed our contract last time round. I say "appears" since nobody from BT asked us if we wanted to renew our contract, and secondly, they quoted cancellation charges of £360 to me last month which would seem to imply that we aren't on the "monthly rolling contract".

Should I be making an official complaint about this?

They were banned in December 2011.
    http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2011/removing-barriers-to-switching-ofcom-bans-rollover-contracts/

But whatever has happened you can now leave free of penalty due to forthcoming December Increases.

See Here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46728/~/price-changes-from-4-janu.

Look under: What if I'm unhappy with the price rises?
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    £17 for line rental..A total disgrace.Most people only need it for broadband nowadays.
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2014 at 10:28AM
    Options
    I currently pay £16pm for my broadband with BT, and very recently renewed line rental saver.

As of the 1st of December this will increase from £16 to £17pm.

Can I use this increase to cancel, and then take up a new broadband contract with BT with little to no loss of service? BT currently advertise my package for £8pm with an additional £80 Sainsburys Gift Card.

Could I cancel my contract, and then setup a new one online and save £108 a year?

Due to buying Line Rental Saver I do not think I am able to switch ISPs.

EDIT - I'm 12 months into an 18 month contract, with the first 6 months "free", so obviously if I could cancel the contract and restart I've also effectively got half the contract "free" versus a third should it run to the end of the minimum term.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure