MSE News: BT to announce price hikes this weekend

Options
Millions of BT customers are to be hit with the news on Saturday that prices will rise, MSE understands...
Read the full story:

BT to announce price hikes this weekend

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Amazing really when the wholesale price of phone lines is failing but the retail prices are still increasing.

And across all the providers too.
  • bullshot
    bullshot Posts: 4,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had a call from BT trying to get me to sign for Fibre Optic (18 month contract)and offering to reduce my inclusive calls by £2 ( from £7 to £5) offering Broadband at a discounted monthly price, but only 40gb( I have unlimited at the moment).....I asked about the forthcoming price increase and was told it was ONLY the line rental that was being increased .....I pay annually and it is due the end of this month....hope I beat the increase....would consider changing but I am out of sync now with line rental and Broadband, they should be back in sync next August, as my Broadband is on a previously agreed 18 month contract.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i cannot understand why people are still with BT. they are the most expensive of all the internet and phone providers.

their "deals" (i use the term "deal" loosely) are still miles off some providers standard prices.

they seem to be one of the first to start bringing in 18 month contracts as opposed to 12 months (just like it happened in the mobile phone industry, it went from 12 months to 18 months to 24 months tied to on contract and for very little in return.

Oh and the cost of BT line rental is the most expensive around.

why oh why would you want to be ripped off from all directions by going with BT?
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you pay for BT line rental a year in advance it is less expensive (none are cheap) than Sky and TalkTalk. If you want BT Sport it is cheaper to take a deal from BT paying slightly more for the broadband to get BT Sport free. You can also get £210 cashback plus a Sainsbury voucher if you sign up to BT via topcashback (new customers only). So BT can be a good deal, but with all the companies you have to be willing to haggle and/or switch.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    bullshot wrote: »
    .....I asked about the forthcoming price increase and was told it was ONLY the line rental that was being increased

I wonder ..................
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Am I mad here or is the line rental differential between all the different providers minimal?
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    minislim wrote: »
    i cannot understand why people are still with BT. they are the most expensive of all the internet and phone providers.

Because when the line fails I ring them up, they answer rapidly, check the line there and then, book the engineer in agreement with my availability on the phone real time, they divert the calls to my mobile free of charge, the engineer turns up when he says and the problem is fixed.

My time is valuable....BT don't waste it.
    None of this "we will check your line for 72 hours" then we might actually possibly think about doing something about it" and that's after the unfortunate subscriber has spent 45 minutes on the phone as it appears from the Plusnet forums what happens there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    Am I mad here or is the line rental differential between all the different providers minimal?
    Yes, it's almost a cartel in that respect.

Call costs on the other hand….
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Because when the line fails I ring them up, they answer rapidly, check the line there and then, book the engineer etc

But surely your line shouldn't fail often enough for this to be such a priority?

I can't remember the last time I had to ring Virgin Media about a line fault and I've been with them since the "Cable North West" days.
  • Iain_L
    Iain_L Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    minislim wrote: »

their "deals" (i use the term "deal" loosely) are still miles off some providers standard prices.

they seem to be one of the first to start bringing in 18 month contracts as opposed to 12 months (just like it happened in the mobile phone industry, it went from 12 months to 18 months to 24 months tied to on contract and for very little in return.

Oh and the cost of BT line rental is the most expensive around.

why oh why would you want to be ripped off from all directions by going with BT?

In some cases because your exchange has not been opened up to other providers, as is the case with many rural exchanges. For instance, I can get nothing but BT, and rural often means no decent mobile signal either, so no option to go that way either.

Iain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport