We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: BT to announce price hikes this weekend

Options

Comments

• A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 23 August 2014 at 8:31PM
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    The non-DD payment charge has been ceased WEF 30/11/14.

I should think so too. It's an rip off. It no way cost £6 to take a payment by cash made in the newsagent. And it is meant to be £2 a month but they roll it together to make it £6 per quarter. So instead of paying £2 per payment made over three months (three separate payments) I pay £6 per single payment (each quarter) so they make £4 out of it. So what is my £4 going towards??

This should be headlining with the PPI scandal.

And for BT to retort with the lame excuse that their non DD charge is in line with other operators doesn't make it right or acceptable just that they are following like lemmings with little regard to customers.

It costs a Supermarket a lot more to process a Credit Card payment than a Debit Card payment so why don't they charge those customers more?
  • PParka
    PParka Posts: 265 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 23 August 2014 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Just my luck. I've just renewed my Line Rental Saver with BT which isn't refundable.
    I'm still tempted to switch though. I've just worked out it will save me nearly £200 in the first year. And there's also cashback from Quidco on top of that.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This should be headlining with the PPI scandal.

No it shouldn't. You pays your money you makes your choice.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    No it shouldn't. You pays your money you makes your choice.

Yes just like those who took out PPI paid their money and took their choice. They should have read the small print. Same with those taking banks to court for bouncy items and getting their fees back instead of keeping to their means and checking their expenditure. Incurring those charges was the customers fault for letting things go rubbery.

Back in 1950 something when we first signed up to BT there was no DD non charge - this was inflicted on me sometime after.
  • spyhunter
    spyhunter Posts: 250 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2014 at 9:40PM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Thanks for that link. Not so attractive as it first seemed, as you can't take it with Line Rental Saver. So that reduces the saving to about £1.61 a month over the December-onwards Line Rental Saver plus Anytime tariff.
    And with a price guarantee until 2017, I rather expect that the minimum term will be 24 months?
    However, if BT continues to hike prices by 6% a year or more, then by 2017 it'll look like very good value indeed.
    It'll also appease the 'won't use direct debits' lobby.

The minimum term is 12 months and it does include for no extra charge anonymous call reject which is normally £4.75 a month,Choose to refuse which is £3.90 a month and caller display which is £1.75 a month.

If you just have line rental with BT then it's not a bad option at £19.99 a month with all the extra nuisance calls blockers and anytime calls too.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    BT need to concentrate on running a telephone service and forget about stupid BT Sport and BT Football and television.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    BT need to concentrate on running a telephone service and forget about stupid BT Sport and BT Football and television.
    If Sky had kept out of telephony and broadband, they may well have done. The fact is, the market has changed and providing a telephone service on its own is no longer viable.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 23 August 2014 at 10:07PM
    Options
    LOL I prefer the good old days when the GPO operated the phones and you had just 3 channel knobs on the television. Life seemed so much simpler then and we also got out and about instead of getting fat on our bums veging in front of the claptrap broadcasted by Sky and the likes. We had the Morris Minor and would go out with the dogs. Mobile phones didn't exist and people would visit one another for tea and biscuits.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

If Sky had kept out of telephony and broadband, BT wouldn't have gotten into TV. Or, more specifically, Sport and thats a fact.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    If Sky had kept out of telephony and broadband, BT wouldn't have gotten into TV. Or, more specifically, Sport and thats a fact.

I say more fool the stupid populus for being sucked in by all this subscription sport cash cow. Sky and BT would be up the creek if everyone decided to cancel it all. Shame that won't ever happen as there's one born every minute and these companies know it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure