We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Downsizing

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    Selling a house is probably the biggest transaction most of us will ever make and as such we should seek professional help, I glad to hear you are using an EA, let him do his job and negotiate a price, this is not something you should get involved in. The buyer negotiates with the EA and he takes instructions from you. After all he knows the market far better than you and you are paying him to get the best price for you.
    Likewise anybody buying a house is trying to buy what they want at the lowest possible price, I, personally, would ignore any autobiographical details a prospective buyer told me on the grounds that they are totally irrelevant and why would they tell me these things?

They will make their offer to the EA. However, the one dealing with us has gone on maternity leave, so whoever negotiates on our behalf has not seen our house :(

We will let the EA do all the negotiating (always of course keeping us in the loop), plus any verification of address and finances and any other problems that may arise. We may as well pay them for doing something!

It's just that I would like this couple to buy my house, but we are not going to be stupid over it, even if we are sentimental :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2015 at 9:58AM
    Options
    I confess to feeling slightly cynical about why these prospective buyers would say personal information like that about themselves - but am willing to give it benefit of doubt, as my own experience of being told quirky little personal details by the vendor of my own current house was that I wondered why on earth he was doing so at the time and just mentally dismissed it.

However, there turned out to be a reason for that in the event - ie he was telling me something in a roundabout hinting sort of way (roundabout enough to satisfy his flexible conscience and yet still make a sale) and so that he could interpret it in his own mind as "Well...I did tell her" - even though he didn't and I moved into the house unaware of various things I needed to know/had the right to know about it.

So - it may be my own personal experience that is colouring my perception of being told personal details.

But - I certainly think this would-be buyer couple will have spotted that you are a happily married couple and have slanted their comments accordingly one way or another (hopefully - just in the romantic sense that they also hope to be a happily married couple).

Anyway - I wish you good luck with achieving a speedy sale and the correct price for your house. I would certainly have been quite happy with it as a starter house personally.

A good EA should be able to be quite clear as to what price to expect for the house - so that personal details (or otherwise) don't affect price accepted for the worse.

I remember the EA who sold my last house was pretty clear on what price they thought I should market it for and what was the price I should expect to receive for it and that was pretty much how things turned out to be in the event.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    IMO, they told us these details just because they are chatty and friendly. My husband and I are like this, in fact we told the people we bought our bungalow from a load of things about ourselves, just because that's how we are.

So, when other people do it, it doesn't fill me with suspicion :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IMO, they told us these details just because they are chatty and friendly. My husband and I are like this, in fact we told the people we bought our bungalow from a load of things about ourselves, just because that's how we are.

So, when other people do it, it doesn't fill me with suspicion
    That's fair enough; just don't let it influence the price you are prepared to accept.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    That's fair enough; just don't let it influence the price you are prepared to accept.

We won't. We know how much we are prepared to accept.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. There's also the concept of the bird in the hand. We may not have more than one offer!
    Exactly. I know when the sale of mum's house 'stalled' for a while one of my siblings thought we should take it off the market and put it on again at a higher price. My co-executor and I weren't keen on this idea, although we did discuss dates by which we would do this if things hadn't started moving again.

My feeling was that we had found a buyer much sooner than I'd anticipated. It was an 'interesting' house so would not have surprised me if it hadn't been snapped up.

I'm sure my sibling thinks we could have got more money. I personally think a fresh sale would have 'stalled' for the same reasons, so a) we might not have got any more money and b) we might have waited even longer for it!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Had viewer round this afternoon and another viewing booked for around seven tonight.

Phoned EA to say we would be away for a few days so may need to pop in and give them a spare key for when we are gone.

Just had a phone call from EA to say someone was interested in a viewing at the weekend.

The bungalow near us which I quite fancied has just shown as "under offer".

SDW

Good luck with getting decent offers.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    We have two more viewings lined up :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Had viewer round this afternoon and another viewing booked for around seven tonight.

Phoned EA to say we would be away for a few days so may need to pop in and give them a spare key for when we are gone.

Just had a phone call from EA to say someone was interested in a viewing at the weekend.

The bungalow near us which I quite fancied has just shown as "under offer".

SDW

Good luck with getting decent offers.

Well done with your viewings. A shame about your bungalow :(
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • seven-day-weekend
    edited 29 July 2015 at 7:23AM
    Options
    We might buy a log cabin in Wales, as a holiday home, once the house has sold, there are loads for sale, some quite cheap and some are freehold.

We will have a couple of days viewing I think and then decide.

We love Wales and being in the West Midlands it does not take long to get to the coast.

Here's our favourite online:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48246502.html

And this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35574801.html
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport