Downsizing

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It looks lovely, SDW. it'll be snapped up quickly, I'm sure.

Have you decluttered or are you always as tidy? :)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Sorry - realised there is a second bedroom pic, so I've edited my post - would you like to do the same to your quote so people don't get confused? Obviously I got up this morning but my brain didn't ;)

Done ! .
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    It looks lovely, SDW. it'll be snapped up quickly, I'm sure.

Have you decluttered or are you always as tidy? :)

We had decluttered a bit, (mainly the table), but it looks pretty much as we like to leave it when we go out.

We've also moved the cat food tray from the rear lobby :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have a viewing tomorrow after dropping the price :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope it works out, SDW.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The viewing has happened and seemed quite positive and we have another on Sunday

It was right to drop the price.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the viewings.

We had professional photos taken and redid some of the descriptions of the house. It is in local paper tomorrow but not yet back on rightmove.

We have not got probat yet so no point in being in a rush to sell.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    DH had been sent details of an Abbeyfield complex in the next town and he thought it would be a good idea to go and look. This surprised me quite a lot as I didn't know he'd been thinking along those lines. He went and rang the doorbell and was given a brochure. He was invited in to have a look around, but when he mentioned his wife was with him in the car, the manager said immediately that 'they may seem a bit small for 2 people'. I still have not got much idea what's on offer even after reading the glossy brochure and the resident's handbook. I know they each have a front door and you furnish it yourself including curtains. They sound to be something like a studio flat and the leaflet talks about an 'en suite'. Does that mean bathroom, and is there a bath or shower? DH was shocked by the price, £300+ a week. But may be worth the money - no electricity, no water, no council tax and no food to buy. Three cooked meals a day are provided in the communal dining-room. If I ate 3 cooked meals every day I should not be able to control my weight, so for me, the idea is a no-no. DH doesn't like the cost but he accepted what I said about all the things you don't have to pay for.

SDW, I know what you mean about the frogs and the pond/s. We love our wildlife. It has become so much more interesting for us since we got the wildlife trail camera and we're able to see the little dramas that go on just outside our back door. 2 baby robins only this morning. Yesterday, daddy blackbird feeding young one. I was in the kitchen and I couldn't move - just standing there motionless and silent, gesturing to DH to come but not to make a sound. So many gardens around us are being paved-over and where will all the hedgehogs go - one of our most threatened native species? Whenever we see a hedgehog by night on the trail camera it is such a delight.

So all in all, I think we'll be here for a bit longer. If one of us was on his/her own of course, it would be a different matter.
    For myself, I'd rather be responsible for providing my own meals rather than 'keeping the place clean' as Abbeyfield say they require. Molly Maids do a good job and worth every penny.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    DH has just confessed that he really doesn't want to move from here. He only wanted to go and see the address someone had sent him, an Abbeyfield complex, purpose-built. Just because someone had sent it to him!

A few weeks ago we also looked at some 'park homes'. I didn't like the idea of moving into somewhere that's fully furnished. Might not be my idea of furniture or might not be comfortable! With Abbeyfield you furnish it yourself, the park homes come with someone else's choice of furniture.

About the 3 cooked meals a day - if we ever get to the stage when we really can't feed ourselves I think we'll order the kind you can get delivered. I don't mean a take-away, although we are deluged with leaflets about pizzas etc to be delivered. The kind that Ronnie Corbett advertises? I don't know if I'd even like that.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My neighbours are in their 80's - the wife has had minor strokes but is otherwise healthy but cannot do the housework and cooking anymore. Husband is active but does not do cooking or housework other than vaccuming and microwave.

So they got in a cleaner and gardener and now get weekly deliveries of microwaveable meals which they like and can 'cook' themselves.

A good solution. I have contributed to a private pension for just this eventuality which I will start to draw down when this sort of stuff hits me to pay for the extra costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure