Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 June 2015 at 8:56AM
    Options
    Yay! Things are looking better!

The kitchen is almost in. Our beautiful vertical radiator looks terrific (this was added as an afterthought after we had planned and bought the kitchen, then realised we had not left room for a traditional radiator:o ).

Something like this: http://www.bestheating.com/milano-aruba-white-vertical-designer-radiator-1600mm-x-354mm.html?gclid=CLq2jLqA88UCFUv3wgodz7oAHg&gclsrc=aw.ds

We have an inset woodburner in the sitting room. It looks classy and throws out wonderful heat. This was a real bargain - a good make of stove, (Fireline), which had had a deal with Laura Ashley for a fancy trim, deal now finished, we got an 'end of line' deal for about a third of the price of the original stove.

This one - once fitted all you see is the front: http://beresconafires.tictail.com/product/laura-ashley-inset-woodburning-stove

We would like another for the kitchen diner but the 'end of line' Laura Ashley deal is finished and we will have to buy the Fireline stove, but it's almost £1000:eek:, so are trying to find a cheaper one. My husband has seen an ex-display model on ebay that looks promising at just over half price - keeping everything crossed.:rotfl:

Getting excited now and looking forward to moving in.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • hostertlady
    hostertlady Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    S.D.W.
    it all sounds lovely and even more so that you were able to stay in your previous home while you are doing the work,
    are you marketing it at the moment?
    x
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    S.D.W.
    it all sounds lovely and even more so that you were able to stay in your previous home while you are doing the work,
    are you marketing it at the moment?
    x

No..... I have had a very unexpected change of circumstances which means I will be able to pay the mortgage off on the bungalow without selling the house. We are still trying to decide whether to sell it or rent it out. We keep changing our minds!!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    edited 5 June 2015 at 8:39AM
    Options
    Well, we have another woodburner. :) I remembered that our stove fitter mentioned that a place in my home city had an ex-display Fireline at half price. My husband rang and we got it, with another £100 off :) Fitting date tbc, but we are in no rush. This will be a longer (and more expensive) job than the one in the sitting room, as the chimney is not tall enough and will have to be built up, also the 'hole in the wall' will have to be constructed in the chimney breast, which has been blocked up.

We have got the two stoves for the less than the price of one :):money::money:

It will look like this (picture from google search):

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/neillb/6530a4b7.jpg
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No..... I have had a very unexpected change of circumstances which means I will be able to pay the mortgage off on the bungalow without selling the house. We are still trying to decide whether to sell it or rent it out. We keep changing our minds!!

IIRC you've put years and years of love, care and attention into your house and garden. A tenant won't do that, and that would be heartbreaking - especially given how the area has changed and the kind of tenants that would attract.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    IIRC you've put years and years of love, care and attention into your house and garden. A tenant won't do that, and that would be heartbreaking - especially given how the area has changed and the kind of tenants that would attract.

Yes. We keep hivering and hovering. It just seems a shame to get rid of it wen we don't have to.

Also, my change of circumstances ( a sizeable and totally unexpected inheritance :o) means I will have enough to pay the mortgage off and have money left over even BEFORE we have sold up. Once the mortgage is paid off we will be able to save again.

We don't need that amount of money. I think it would be better to keep the house.

Still trying to decide, but when it's gone, it's gone. I think we are going to try it and see how we get on. We can always sell it later if we decide we don't like being landlords.

As for the area...it is still OK for a street of mainly terraced houses - just not what it was. We will be choosy about our tenants.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. We keep hivering and hovering. It just seems a shame to get rid of it wen we don't have to.

Also, my change of circumstances ( a sizeable and totally unexpected inheritance :o) means I will have enough to pay the mortgage off and have money left over even BEFORE we have sold up. Once the mortgage is paid off we will be able to save again.

We don't need that amount of money. I think it would be better to keep the house.

Still trying to decide, but when it's gone, it's gone. I think we are going to try it and see how we get on. We can always sell it later if we decide we don't like being landlords.

As for the area...it is still OK for a street of mainly terraced houses - just not what it was. We will be choosy about our tenants.

Being a landlord is hassle, tenant misbehaviour, none payment, no tenants, tax returns, maybe an accountant.
    And has been pointed out your house will not be yours any more although you will still own it.
    Whilst you are by no means old, do you really want to put yourself through all that.
    Take the money, you could invest £15K each in an isa each year, some in cash some in a good safe investment, nothing fancy just solid.
    Then you can sit back and enjoy
    Hey Errata sounds as if she is from round our way.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • seven-day-weekend
    edited 5 June 2015 at 1:52PM
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    Being a landlord is hassle, tenant misbehaviour, none payment, no tenants, tax returns, maybe an accountant.
    And has been pointed out your house will not be yours any more although you will still own it.
    Whilst you are by no means old, do you really want to put yourself through all that.
    Take the money, you could invest £15K each in an isa each year, some in cash some in a good safe investment, nothing fancy just solid.
    Then you can sit back and enjoy
    Hey Errata sounds as if she is from round our way.

Yes.....we've thought of all this. But I think even if we sell our house, we'll probably buy another to rent out and it just seems a waste of money with all the buying/selling fees.

Are you a Yam Yam too? Or should I say Am yo?:rotfl:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes.....we've thought of all this. But I think even if we sell our house, we'll probably buy another to rent out and it just seems a waste of money with all the buying/selling fees.

Are you a Yam Yam too? Or should I say Am yo?:rotfl:

I left years ago.
    My daughter taught in Sandwell not far from the M6 and took OH to see the school. We went to see it months later but OH got lost. We asked directions from a young lad, three times, I never knew what he said, mind you I never understood Eynuk & Ayli.
    My brother is a big Wolves fan even though he left ages ago too. He went into a pub one evening to ask if children could eat there (this was years ago when not many pubs did food and they were fussy about young children). He was told it was alright so long as they were eighteen. No he said young children. Yes he was told so long as they are ateen. Took him some time to work that one out, it has nothing to do with their age.
    We've both totally lost our local lingo
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • seven-day-weekend
    edited 5 June 2015 at 2:30PM
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    I left years ago.
    My daughter taught in Sandwell not far from the M6 and took OH to see the school. We went to see it months later but OH got lost. We asked directions from a young lad, three times, I never knew what he said, mind you I never understood Eynuk & Ayli.
    My brother is a big Wolves fan even though he left ages ago too. He went into a pub one evening to ask if children could eat there (this was years ago when not many pubs did food and they were fussy about young children). He was told it was alright so long as they were eighteen. No he said young children. Yes he was told so long as they are ateen. Took him some time to work that one out, it has nothing to do with their age.
    We've both totally lost our local lingo

Ha,ha, non Black Country people will not understand that one!

I do have a West Midland accent, but not a Black Country one (so I don't say Yam instead of You Are :) ).

You've heard about Ayli when he came across Aynuk gazing over the bridge of the Cut? Aynuk said 'me mate's fell in the werter'. Ayli said 'well yow'd better goo and rescue im' Aynuk said,' dow be saft, I cor ate it now'.

(Translation: You've heard about Eli when he came across Enoch gazing over the bridge of the canal. Enoch said 'my meat's fallen in the water'. Eli said 'well you'd better go and rescue him.' Enoch said 'don't be silly, I can't eat it now'.

Not funny unless you do it in Black Country. :) ).

My husband's father wanted him called Enoch, after his own father and a 'good Black Country name'. Thank goodness his mother threatened to leave him if he called him that!

For the uninitiated : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aynuk_and_Ayli
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure