We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Downsizing

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Two viewings yesterday. One was keen, I don't think the other so much, she didn't like the galley kitchen. Another viewing today!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love the chalet in Aberdovey, SDW.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I love the chalet in Aberdovey, SDW.

Yes, we like them both, the other one is in a more preferred location and has an ensuite. However the Aberdyfi one is sold fully furnished. We can't go to Wales for a couple of weeks, so if they are still available then, we'll take a couple of days and view those and others.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    edited 31 July 2015 at 8:24AM
    Options
    Well the young couple who viewed on Wednesday LOVE the house and are excited and want to go ahead :) However, they have not even put their flat on the market yet. They may not have to sell it, they are taking advice this weekend. They are not putting an offer in until they know what they are doing. Watch this space!!

Everyone else (including the couple with the 'love story', who in the end couldn't get finance), has pulled out, and they all said the same thing : 'Lovely house, not keen on the area'. I must admit it has deteriorated the last few years, although it's still nowhere near as bad as those nearer to the centre. Oh well, not a lot we can do about that. Other houses in our street have sold recently, so I'm sure ours will.

The young couple who want to go ahead both come from ( a worse part) of this area, so are perfectly OK with ours.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well the young couple who viewed on Wednesday LOVE the house and are excited and want to go ahead :) However, they have not even put their flat on the market yet. They may not have to sell it, they are taking advice this weekend. They are not putting an offer in until they know what they are doing. Watch this space!!

Everyone else (including the couple with the 'love story', who in the end couldn't get finance), has pulled out, and they all said the same thing : 'Lovely house, not keen on the area'. I must admit it has deteriorated the last few years, although it's still nowhere near as bad as those nearer to the centre. Oh well, not a lot we can do about that. Other houses in our street have sold recently, so I'm sure ours will.

The young couple who want to go ahead both come from ( a worse part) of this area, so are perfectly OK with ours.

Seven, I'm not trying to say I told you so. Just remember, believe nothing of what you are told and only half of what you read, everyone is out for themselves in this world.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • seven-day-weekend
    edited 31 July 2015 at 9:27AM
    Options
    Quite right zygurat, we're too romantic for our own good sometimes :) However, that is coupled with a good dose of common sense, we would not take the house off the market until the person was able to proceed and we wouldn't turn down an offer just because someone else made us go 'aah!' (although we might ask them if they wanted to match the offer before we accepted the other one, assuming they were also ready to go). Pragmatic is my middle name. :)

My husband wants this last young couple to have it because they remind him of us when we were their age :o

We are very fortunate in that we CAN actually wait for a sale (although I would like to move some furniture into our bungalow so we can move in!), and we can afford to be very flexible on price. If it hasn't sold by the time we come back from our holiday in September, we'll stick it in an auction . Or even rent it out, but would much prefer to sell.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • angela110660
    angela110660 Posts: 931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How good are your property prices? Just looked at the propery link you gave for a 2bed semi and then looked in my area for similar. Could only find Park Homes under £200K and 2 bed houses/ bungalows for over £200K. 2 beds used to be the starter home for many people - don't know how people could afford them now around here unless they earn exceptional wages.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    How good are your property prices? Just looked at the propery link you gave for a 2bed semi and then looked in my area for similar. Could only find Park Homes under £200K and 2 bed houses/ bungalows for over £200K. 2 beds used to be the starter home for many people - don't know how people could afford them now around here unless they earn exceptional wages.

Well that's why the property programme is called Location, Location, Location :)

We bought our bungalow, two good size bedrooms, big kitchen diner, large garden, semi detached, for £138k. We have probably spent £25k doing it up but it is immaculate now. I don't know how ordinary people afford anything in some southern areas.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • angela110660
    Options
    It is sad isn't it that prices have to vary so much For basically the same houses? And don't even start to think about the proposals of Right to Buy on the housing market in the future.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is sad isn't it that prices have to vary so much For basically the same houses? And don't even start to think about the proposals of Right to Buy on the housing market in the future.

But it's not only the house that you are buying, it's the land its built on. Land down souff is competed for by more people than up norff of Watfod so the price goes up. Southerners have only themselves to blame.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport