John Lewis order stolen in transit, JL won't do nothing about it?!

Options
123457»

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If goods are acccepted but not inspected you should write 'not examined' beside your signature.

from John Lewis website

Escalating the complaint

If after contacting us you feel we still haven't resolved your complaint satisfactorily, please email or write to our Head of Customer Service:

Head_of_Customer_Service@johnlewis.co.uk

Head of Customer Service
    John Lewis
    171 Victoria Street
    London SW1E 5NN

I must say we have had excellent customer service from JL and they are our first choice supplier.

When our TV packed in they searched their records for details of when we bought it as we could not find our record of buying.

It turned out we had one month left on our 5 year guarantee. We were immediately given the choice of a new tv and a cash balance to the value of our original payment.

A Blueray player ordered online last November never appeared and it was immediately replaced when it was reported.

We were also told to keep the original if it turned up.

It didn't, but we did get a call from the police six months later as they had found a load of empty boxes, one of which had our name and address on it.

It transpired that a guy was under arrest for stealing goods from the courier, either from the warehouse or from a delivery van.

He had dumped the empty boxes in a skip beloging to a DIY retailer.
  • RosiPossum
    RosiPossum Posts: 519 Forumite
    Options
    geerex wrote: »
    You're all wrong. OP clearly states that JL "won't do nothing", therefore, they are doing something and all the OP needs to do is wait.

Sillies.
    I was thinking of posting a reply like this! Won't do nothing means will do something...OP do you mean that JL won't do anything?
  • Civic93
    Civic93 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    RosiPossum wrote: »
    I was thinking of posting a reply like this! Won't do nothing means will do something...OP do you mean that JL won't do anything?

Yes

John lewis say we wont do anything about this basically in short
  • Civic93
    Options
    Contacted customer relations team, head office have my letter and will now be dealing with myself via letter. I have then contacted trading standards again and have been told to wait til the end of the week for a resolution, and then take a next step. So atleast progress is being made.
  • usignuolo
    usignuolo Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2014 at 1:07PM
    Options
    I am struggling a bit here. You say the courier delivered an empty box. I used to work in the IT sector and this happened to us periodically when we ordered something as all the goods were signed for by the receptionist who did not open and check each one.

However it was quite difficult to open and extract things like ipads because they came packed in their own sealed cardboard boxes and then inserted usually in a plastic bag which could not be opened without cutting it open and resealing it with cellotape. Which would be obvious and hard to conceal.

Without wishing to impugne your integrity if I was JL I would be very surprised if this was done during transit by a reputable courier as the package is tracked all the way. If it was done on route it seems most likely to have been done by the delivery driver or an accomplice.

The fact they were prepared to deliver it to a youngster is also suspicious. Most firms will not deliver signed for parcels containing electronic goods to anyone under age.

Our standard response to missing items was to report the fact the package had been tampered with to the courier and to the supplier and ask them to sort it out. If the package had been opened we photographed this at the time we saw it, usually later the same morning and sent this over to both parties.

I imagine there was nothing on the package to say what it was and the thief was taking a gamble on it containing something valuable. In which case it an was opportunistic theft and yours is unlikely to be the only case. Although they will not admit to it, if this is the case, then the courier service will have had other complaints about that particular courier.

I now work from home and get a lot of stuff online and it nearly all arrives in tamper proof bags which cannot be opened without it being blindingly obvious. Your really need the opened and resealed bag to support your case. I tend to agree with the police, if it has been stolen before arrival at your house then it is up to John Lewis and the courier to take on the problem.
  • Civic93
    Options
    usignuolo wrote: »
    I am struggling a bit here. You say the courier delivered an empty box. I used to work in the IT sector and this happened to us periodically when we ordered something as all the goods were signed for by the receptionist who did not open and check each one.

However it was quite difficult to open and extract things like ipads because they came packed in their own sealed cardboard boxes and then inserted usually in a plastic bag which could not be opened without cutting it open and resealing it with cellotape. Which would be obvious and hard to conceal.

Without wishing to impugne your integrity if I was JL I would be very surprised if this was done during transit by a reputable courier as the package is tracked all the way. If it was done on route it seems most likely to have been done by the delivery driver or an accomplice.

The fact they were prepared to deliver it to a youngster is also suspicious. Most firms will not deliver signed for parcels containing electronic goods to anyone under age.

Our standard response to missing items was to report the fact the package had been tampered with to the courier and to the supplier and ask them to sort it out. If the package had been opened we photographed this at the time we saw it, usually later the same morning and sent this over to both parties.

I imagine there was nothing on the package to say what it was and the thief was taking a gamble on it containing something valuable. In which case it an was opportunistic theft and yours is unlikely to be the only case. Although they will not admit to it, if this is the case, then the courier service will have had other complaints about that particular courier.

I now work from home and get a lot of stuff online and it nearly all arrives in tamper proof bags which cannot be opened without it being blindingly obvious. Your really need the opened and resealed bag to support your case. I tend to agree with the police, if it has been stolen before arrival at your house then it is up to John Lewis and the courier to take on the problem.

Yes i still have the packaging to support my case, im keeping this until everything is dealth with
  • nanto3girls
    nanto3girls Posts: 5,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just checking, to see if there were any updates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure