John Lewis order stolen in transit, JL won't do nothing about it?!

Options

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Wow you must be unlucky to have had to do that 8 or 9 times.

No one answered my earlier point wether a 15 year old is allowed to sign for the parcel, if he isnt, doesnt that make a difference.

I can't see a legal issue with a 15 year old signing for the parcel. They are not entering into a contract, simply signing to say that the goods have been released to their care. Now if this was some random 15 year old hanging around outside the house clearly there would be an issue, but this is someone the OP trusted to be in their house (alone?).

If the OP raised this point with JL I would expect them to ask if they did not trust the person, and if this is the case why did they leave them in their house without them being there. In effect the OP would be acknowledging that the 15 year old might have stolen the goods.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 July 2014 at 12:04PM
    Options
    I would be escalating this with JL by now - especially if their customer service response has been poor. Find the name & address of their chief and try to contact the chief's assistant.

The issue of a 15yo signing for the delivery is just another complication. Ultimately, I suspect that their signature on the delivery note is worth less than that of an adult, but IANAL.
  • DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Options
    Bantex wrote: »
    What would you expect them to do?

I suppose so......

We have now come to expect the Police ignore any crime that doesn't involve CCTV evidence or DNA evidence.....
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    DaveTheMus wrote: »
    I suppose so......

We have now come to expect the Police ignore any crime that doesn't involve CCTV evidence or DNA evidence.....
    I suppose they could arrest little brother and try to get him to confess. Beyond that I really cannot see any other options.
  • DaveTheMus
    Options
    I suppose they could arrest little brother and try to get him to confess. Beyond that I really cannot see any other options.

If something has gone missing in the post, like the OP alleges. The least they could do is interview the delivery driver and speak to the depo manager.

Are we really at a point where crime should be ignored because it's difficult to solve?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    If something has gone missing in the post, like the OP alleges. The least they could do is interview the delivery driver and speak to the depo manager.

Are we really at a point where crime should be ignored because it's difficult to solve?
    fine in theory, in practise we all know it would be a complete waste of time though.
  • DaveTheMus
    Options
    fine in theory, in practise we all know it would be a complete waste of time though.

More time to catch speeding drivers and track down people who post sweary words on Twitter and Facebook I guess...
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Trouble is whole thing has scam written all over it.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • Littlestars_2
    Options

With most companies all items are weighed from point of dispatch to del so it would be easy to see a weight discrepancy with the parcel if its not been weighed down by something else, as where i work you would see a lot of ipads getting nicked but being replaced with tins to keep the weight so it wouldn't be obvious until the parcel was opened, but I'm sure one of the first things would have been to speak to the driver to find out what happened. But the problem my be there is not enough evidence to say the items went missing in the carriers network so it may end up being a case of he said she said as there may be no evidence to back up the op.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With most companies all items are weighed from point of dispatch to del so it would be easy to see a weight discrepancy with the parcel if its not been weighed down by something else, as where i work you would see a lot of ipads getting nicked but being replaced with tins to keep the weight so it wouldn't be obvious until the parcel was opened, but I'm sure one of the first things would have been to speak to the driver to find out what happened. But the problem my be there is not enough evidence to say the items went missing in the carriers network so it may end up being a case of he said she said as there may be no evidence to back up the op.

On the plus side given its a civil matter, evidence is on the balance of probabilities rather than beyond all reasonable doubt.

Also on the plus side is any term disclaiming liability on the basis of "we have a signature saying you accepted delivery" would likely be deemed unfair (and thus unenforceable) as it allows the supplier to be negligent without consequence. Accepting a delivery is just that, it doesnt say anything about the contents or the condition of them.

OP should also make sure to retain the packaging until this gets sorted.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure