John Lewis order stolen in transit, JL won't do nothing about it?!

Options
3 weeks ago i place and order of two iPad airs, totalling the sum of £1278, i select the quickest delivery option as its for a birthday present for someone. Chose next day delivery. was given the morning slot, i go to drop the nephew of to school, come back, and little brother has just signed for delivery just minutes before i come back. When i say delivery i mean slashed box and resealed, he states the delivery man was in a rush. Straight away i call up customer services, as you would in a situation!

report the problem and describe everything in detail as possibly can. Im told i will get a call back. No one calls, i ring in three times in the day, told they're investigating. For two weeks i was stalled constantly saying they're looking in to it. At one point they say they won't do nothing about it. I dispute this, speak to higher authority in their team. Case goes to customer relations department, where I'm being death with by a case manager. He tells me i need to go in to the police station and report this as theres nothing they'l do about it. Im thinking what?! Surely i have consumer rights to this?

I go to the police station, speak to police officer, he calls his sergeant and gets an opinion, sear gent says that I'm not the one supposed to be running around, its john lewis responsibility? Anyways i go back to the case manager, tell him this and he says i need a crime reference number for them to look in to, if they don't give one then get officers badge no, and all that info. I go back to the police, give the officer the case managers line number, and police spoke to him direct. Now the case manager is gone on holiday, leaves me with a different team member, he stalled and went on annual leave, and now I'm left with another manager, constantly stalled, do i have any legal rights at all?

contacted tradings standards, they tell me to write a formal complaint with a deadline to respond to which i have done, waiting for a response yet nothing? Where do i stand legally? I'm willing to fight this til the end, help?

Comments

• Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    So what has been stolen?
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you saying that your brother signed for, and was given an empty box?
  • creativemieu
    Options
    JL are within their rights if the delivery was signed for. Ask them for the details of the courier they used and approach them.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bantex wrote: »
    So what has been stolen?

Two ipad Airs, allegedly.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    JL are within their rights if the delivery was signed for. Ask them for the details of the courier they used and approach them.

That's not true at all. The courier was contracted by JL and therefore it is up to JL to take up with the courier.
  • creativemieu
    Options
    OlliesDad wrote: »
    That's not true at all. The courier was contracted by JL and therefore it is up to JL to take up with the courier.
    Possibly, but the contract with JL is complete on delivery and delivery was signed for.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly, but the contract with JL is complete on delivery and delivery was signed for.

But if the boxes are empty then the contract is not completed.

There is NO contract between the OP and the couriers at all.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Summer holidays have started I see... :(
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Little brother has probably nicked the ipads.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    OlliesDad wrote: »
    But if the boxes are empty then the contract is not completed.

There is NO contract between the OP and the couriers at all.

This is the issue - how does the OP prove the boxes were empty? Why did little brother sign for slashed and resealed box?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure