PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help OH is ruining everything

Options

Comments

• Maysie
    Maysie Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options
    my sister once let her husband go shopping when she was ill he made some bad purchases even with a list . My sister is a firey little thing so she sent him back to get a refund and do the shop again :O Apparenly the manager was quite amused and helped him do the shop right. I was pml when she told me .
  • verynewmoneysaver
    Options
    We always spend more if my husband comes shopping with me. He puts all sorts of expensive things in the trolley. I have started shopping on line now, and seem to spend a lot less that way.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I try and sort DH out with a slice of toast before he helps himself to a snack, because he'll eat ANYTHING that doesnt need preparation! Last week I caught him snacking on a jumbo sausage roll wrapped in ham and dunked in mango chutney:eek:. The sausage roll & ham were earmarked for someones packed lunch, but he just saw it and fancied it!!

Incidently the fruit bowl was brimming, but he sees fruit as a chore rather than a treat! Sadly we never have any biscuits to offer if visitors call unexpectedly unless I've been crafty enough to hide them somewhere like the ironing basket, and any baking is lucky to last until it cools in this house, let alone make it into the cake tin! Yep, I frequently ask his mother if she'd like him back, but she always refuses!
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    Alikay wrote: »
    Sadly we never have any biscuits to offer if visitors call unexpectedly unless I've been crafty enough to hide them somewhere like the ironing basket
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :T
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair - I am the one that tries to economise, but I have a self destruct button - whenever I start to worry about money, I spend. I don't know why I am sure a psychologist would have a lot to say on the matter - perhaps a need to make my predictions correct, i.e. I can't stop spending! I am female - if I want to stick to a budget I send my husband to the shop.
  • odds-n-sods
    odds-n-sods Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
    LOL! I give my OH a list, he's learnt what I normally buy, and he's very good at getting what's on the list. Might get somethign as a treat, but only occasionally. And he used to get brocolli and cauliflower mixed up - to the great merriment of the buy we were buying from on the market.

"him:'let's get that brocolli'
    me: 'that's cauliflower, the brocolli is over there and its green, not white!'
    vendor: grinned at me and winked!"

next time my OH bought the veg by himself, the guy congratulated him on getting everything right!
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I think the problem is often down to that fact that irrespective of whether your OH is male or female, if they don't approach shopping with the same restrictions as you do or do it reasonably regularly, you’ll find that they’ll mess it up.

Mine has been given a list and come back with expensive/wrong stuff before, essentially because supermarkets mislead us. If you want wholemeal they’ll come back with brown, not knowing that it’s dyed white bread or ‘best of both’ as it says whole grain. The other day he came back with Simple hand wash rather than value because it was ‘nicer’. I’ve got him off Nescafe though as he can see it’s twice the price.

Really though, they need encouraging through the training process. What I’m intending to do over the next couple of weeks is empty the fridge and freezer and cupboards, give him a budget and let him look at the online shopping. It’ll give him a perspective on what it takes to shop and keep within budget and still have what you want. It’ll certainly make him value the work I do to keep within budget.

As far as the buying up snacks because the cupboard is bare – well he obviously thought he was helping, which is a nice idea, and is probably confused and a bit resentful that he’s got it wrong. :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: And I’ll bet you he still doesn’t understand why.:confused:

Maybe an idea – assuming your budget will stretch – is say to him that you want him to get the snacks nibbles etc for a week. Give him a budget of say £5, rather than him just spending on whatever he sees, and set him free on it. If he can’t get enough for the week he’ll have to get cheaper stuff etc. And then you can say to him that the stuff you make costs X and you get a lot more for it. It might give him a little perspective.:D

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I don't have an OH any more (traded me in for a bimbo) but I do have an ex-OH who thinks that I have no food in for his kids if I don't have cupboards full of crisps, pizzas, Rocky biscuits, Mars Ice Cream bars, fizzy drinks and stuff like that. His solution is to bring round carrier bags of the stuff, which drives me mad - he pays for it so I'm not bothered about that side of it, but DD's (particularly DD1) only eat the cr*p he's brought and not the nice hm stuff I prepare.

I have great sympathy for this. (Though I'm a little surprised that he knows the contents of the cupboards unless your ofspring are informing him!)

I am loathe to waste food but it might be a signal to him that you indicate to him that the fizzy drinks are good for cleaning the drains,:eek: you leave the Mars Ice creams out as you don't have space in the freezer:eek: and that the Rocky biscuit topped pizzas are not going down well. :eek: :eek: :eek: Tell him you treat all the stuff he gives you as ingredients rather than snacks.:rotfl: And then offer a suggested list of better ingredients that might taste nicer....

And let's face it I don't think there's a court in the land that would object to you feeding your kids proper food.:D

Though your kids might object a little.:o

My mother demonstrated to me cleaning metal with fizzy drinks - it certainaly put me off drinking them for a while knowing that they could dissolve metal!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • moneyowen
    moneyowen Posts: 71 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies - after calming down and talking it over OH decided to give me his bank card and he'll only go shopping with cash from now on my half of the bargain is to keep the cake tin full (he's got an awful sweet tooth and he's one of those who can eat what he likes without putting on any weight) and he's a happy chappy so heres to getting on with OS lifestyle
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    Last week I caught him snacking on a jumbo sausage roll wrapped in ham and dunked in mango chutney
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income