PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help OH is ruining everything

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My OH is just the same. If he looks in the fridge and there's nothing he can grab and eat with no preparation or effort whatsoever, he says "we've got no food in".

Don't ever send him to the shops. For anything. Ever.

My OH does that too (glad it's not just me!). His line is 'there's nothing to eat'. To which I always quickly respond with 'there's plenty to eat! What you mean is, there are no snacks available or something I can just nuke in 2 minutes. Don't be so lazy.'.

It's become a bit of a runing joke for us now, but he is pretty good in that he won't go out and buy lots of other food, he just requires a bit of a push to actually cook something.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Weirdly enough, not at all- I often try to just defer to him and let him make decisions but he won't let me. Food is the only thing that we really differ in our opinions on; everything else has to be discussed and decided as a team...

It's so crazy...most of the time he's pretty much my perfect man...he generally shows me so much respect and care, he's really supportive. I suppose if the food thing is the only thing that gets to me we're doing pretty well :) He spent all weekend up a ladder taking the paint off the outside of the house and repointing the walls so we can paint them cream, because I hate the pink colour :P

Time to put this thread to sleep I think, I've got some great ideas- think I'll create a rolling meal plan so he always has a few choices, and do shopping weekly instead of trying to do it monthly :)

Just to get back to this point of him eating ALL the treat food and not leaving you anything...how about two "tuck" boxes? Labelled His & Hers? Make it a bit of a joke if you like but it might get the message across. You can always put a fake Halloween chain and padlock on your's too....;)
    Val.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    the answer is to bake far more than you think is necessary and always have the freezer and tins filled with HM goodies. simples!
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    or the answer is to discuss the whole thing in terms of finances. Obviously I don't know how everyone's housekeeping budget is managed and contributed to but basically if the agreed budget is £200 (just for ease of numbers) and he spends £50 on snacks one weekend, just ask if that was from the housekeeping budget or his entertainment budget (or whatever) as you need to keep the accounts straight. If it's from his personal money fair enough, but keep a note of how much he spends in a month so it really is just his spends, if he says housekeeping again say nothing but add it all up and as soon as the agreed budget runs out just say that there is no more left. If he hit's the roof/complains just lay the budget spreadsheet or all the receipts or whatever in front of him.
    In my (admittedly limited) experience men hear far more about cash then they do about items ie they will understand cash to spend, savings to be made but cannot translate it into what to do at this moment when the munchies strike.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport