PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My challenge is same, a bit lower or stay the same as last year.

I am in for an easy month as last year July I spent £85, still have loads in to use up so hoping to knock £30 off that, unless I see a mega bargain that is, really cant resist them, hence being so well (overstocked). and might start to get a few Christmas bits in.

Good luck everyone for a really jubilant July.
    Slimming World at target
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am back in again for July. I really need to do something about our overspending on food, it is our biggest expense and I am now on JSA. DS will start eating most of his meals at home from July as he is no longer in nursery with me not working.

I have budgeted £5/day for food for the three of us. We are on holiday for 2 weeks but actually away for just over a week self catering and we will do a separate shop for this out of our holiday spends. We will be having picnics during the home week and I have a separate budget for any drinks or cake we have out but will need to include any extra spends on stuff to make meals at home.

I have broken my budget down as follows:

Food £135
    Toiletries and nappies £20
    Dog £20
    Cleaning and laundry £10

I have used £15 of vouchers and £10 of nectar points and done a stock up on meat, GF pasta, cereal and flour, dog food and nappies this morning.

This leaves me £57 for food which is do-able as I really only need fresh fruit, milk and bread and a bit of sandwich stuff over the next few weeks.

I am determined to stick to my budget this month. I am at home to prepare an evening meal so this avoids the nipping to the shop or takeaway habit because we are both tired. DH does ring and say he fancies something but by then I have the tea sorted or planned so he just has what I have made.:A

I am planning to shop once a week only at aldee, with Mr S or Mr T for the odd GF bits I may need which shouldn't be much really as I am going to make all my own cakes, have another go at GF bread and will also keep sticking to the meal plan and avoid waste.:)

I am off to tweak my meal plan and will post it up to when we go away so I have it written in stone.:rotfl:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Mozzakate
    Mozzakate Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Right, today is the day for me. I've withdrawn the money I'll need for the month and divided it for shopping and petrol. I've put £140 aside for petrol (of which I've filled up with £35 today already) and £100 for shopping, I've also got two purses now and have put £25 in the shopping one. I'm determined to live within my means and stay in this lovely house I've just moved into, my daughter is quite excited about it all which is good.

Thanks for the warm welcome, good luck everyone :beer:

Kate x
    As of 5/4/16 :
    *Grocery Challenge 31st March - 27th April £53.36 NSD's 6/28 *RAGI2016: #34 £43.64/500
  • islandhoppa
    islandhoppa Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First spend to declare of £87.53 which was a large online shop from Mr T, should last us 9 days approximately so going for 8 NSDs in a row from tomorrow
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,565 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have finished my meal plan for the month and have almost all the meat I need in the freezer.

Have spent another £28 odd today for a total of £49.60/£250 so within the average £50 a week I've budgeted.

Denise
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Options
    Ok so June I tried £75 a week ish and failed :o

It was our first few weeks though and I think we learned a lot though and can come in closer this month! Our July target is £350 :cool: and to increase our no spend days from the mere 5 we had this month :A
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 June 2014 at 12:12AM
    Options
    Sorry to be annoying - can I please change my pledge to £160?

Coxy - hope you feel better soon, I had heatstroke when I was younger, really horrible experience so I can sympathise xx

First spends on the big shop today of £69.13 - need a couple more bits from @1d1 but apart from that all good :)

Thanks so much.. :o:o

LC x
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • fuzzybear01
    fuzzybear01 Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started on my second week budget a day early! Not due to lack of planning, but because we live in the middle of nowhere and it's easier and more cost-effective to go shopping on the way back from work. £97.80 of £200 spent :-)
  • Finetta
    Finetta Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2014 at 7:13AM
    Options
    Hi, this is my first post at MSE and I would like to join this challenge please.

My total July one-person grocery budget is NZ$64.60 ($34.30 for food and $30.30 for non-food items.) It's a bit lower than usual because I stockpiled 20 packets of instant coffee when it went on special this week, so I won't need to buy any more for a while.
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all. No spends on my food budget so far. Still need to do a food plan and shop. Before hand though I will go through freezer, fridge and cupboards to see what we have to use up first.

Looking forward to doing more cooking and baking while I am on summer hols but need a few days to re-charge first.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family