Grant of Confirmation

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    aemcl said:
    Hi everyone. Just handed my forms into Dundee Sheriff court then thought to read this thread. Now I’m really worried about my dad’s 2 properties as I didn’t mention anything about Sasines register. I just put the addresses. Help!  Have I failed already. I haven’t referred to the deeds at all. 

What happened?  Did your application for Confirmation succeed or fail?  An update would be good.
  • maxinput
    Options

Hello, Thank you to everyone for the contributions in this blog which have been very helpful but I still have some  questions hopefully someone could answer for me.  I have been trying to complete a certificate of confirmation c1  form for my late mother.  She had no heritable estate or belongings apart  from money  in bank accounts. Its a large estate and myself the son and her daughter are named in the will as executors.   

1. Am I right in assuming  that because all the money in her bank accounts was hers alone I need to put the totals for each bank account in the price of shares column and the same values would be in column 4 on the right.

2.  As she did not have any estate anywhere else but  Scotland do I still need to state in the inventory Estate in England and Wales  - Nil,  Estate in Northern Ireland   - Nil,  Estate elsewhere - Nil, and is it ok to write Nil or should I write  £0.    

3. Do I write the summary of amounts to be confirmed with all three geographies of the UK as in the notes even though she only has estate in Scotland.  Again is is it ok to write Nil here or £0

4.  In box 20 it asks for Unique Taxpayer reference (UTR) but I cannot find one. My the  mother was 95 and as far as I can determine she did not have a tax reference because she never had to complete a self assessment return every year. Is it ok to leave this blank. I phoned the IR but they would not tell me anything as I am on their list as entitled to deal with tax information.

Hope someone could help me out.

Thanks
  • GSS20
    GSS20 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maxinput said:

Hello, Thank you to everyone for the contributions in this blog which have been very helpful but I still have some  questions hopefully someone could answer for me.  I have been trying to complete a certificate of confirmation c1  form for my late mother.  She had no heritable estate or belongings apart  from money  in bank accounts. Its a large estate and myself the son and her daughter are named in the will as executors.   

1. Am I right in assuming  that because all the money in her bank accounts was hers alone I need to put the totals for each bank account in the price of shares column and the same values would be in column 4 on the right.  No you just put the value in the end column.

2.  As she did not have any estate anywhere else but  Scotland do I still need to state in the inventory Estate in England and Wales  - Nil,  Estate in Northern Ireland   - Nil,  Estate elsewhere - Nil, and is it ok to write Nil or should I write  £0.    Yes,  put a heading up in the Description section  Estate in Scotland, under this heading type  heritable estate in Scotland and underneath that put None then put 0.00 in end column. Under that in the description box type  Total heritable estate in Scotland, then end column put 0.00. A couple of lines down put as a heading Moveable estate in Scotland and then itemise the bank accounts, any furnishing and valuables etc, put the values in the end column. After listing all this make a heading total moveable estate in Scotland and add up all the bank accounts etc and also put this in end column. Repeat this for England and Wales and also Ireland. Remember that any bank account that has its head office in England and Wales or Ireland will have to be put in as moveable estate in these countries irrespective of where the deceased banked.

3. Do I write the summary of amounts to be confirmed with all three geographies of the UK as in the notes even though she only has estate in Scotland.  Again is is it ok to write Nil here or £0. See above

4.  In box 20 it asks for Unique Taxpayer reference (UTR) but I cannot find one. My the  mother was 95 and as far as I can determine she did not have a tax reference because she never had to complete a self assessment return every year. Is it ok to leave this blank. I phoned the IR but they would not tell me anything as I am on their list as entitled to deal with tax information. No this is only if the person has had certain dealings with the taxman. You just need to fill in the National Insurance Number.

Thanks
    I have written my answers in bold next to your questions. Hope this helps.
  • maxinput
    Options
    GSS20 said:
    maxinput said:

1. Am I right in assuming  that because all the money in her bank accounts was hers alone I need to put the totals for each bank account in the price of shares column and the same values would be in column 4 on the right.  No you just put the value in the end column.

2.  As she did not have any estate anywhere else but  Scotland do I still need to state in the inventory Estate in England and Wales  - Nil,  Estate in Northern Ireland   - Nil,  Estate elsewhere - Nil, and is it ok to write Nil or should I write  £0.    Yes,  put a heading up in the Description section  Estate in Scotland, under this heading type  heritable estate in Scotland and underneath that put None then put 0.00 in end column. Under that in the description box type  Total heritable estate in Scotland, then end column put 0.00. A couple of lines down put as a heading Moveable estate in Scotland and then itemise the bank accounts, any furnishing and valuables etc, put the values in the end column. After listing all this make a heading total moveable estate in Scotland and add up all the bank accounts etc and also put this in end column. Repeat this for England and Wales and also Ireland. Remember that any bank account that has its head office in England and Wales or Ireland will have to be put in as moveable estate in these countries irrespective of where the deceased banked.

3. Do I write the summary of amounts to be confirmed with all three geographies of the UK as in the notes even though she only has estate in Scotland.  Again is is it ok to write Nil here or £0. See above

4.  In box 20 it asks for Unique Taxpayer reference (UTR) but I cannot find one. My the  mother was 95 and as far as I can determine she did not have a tax reference because she never had to complete a self assessment return every year. Is it ok to leave this blank. I phoned the IR but they would not tell me anything as I am on their list as entitled to deal with tax information. No this is only if the person has had certain dealings with the taxman. You just need to fill in the National Insurance Number.

Thanks
    Thanks for replying so quickly. 
    Under my point 2 ,you said that under heading Moveable estate in Scotland itemise accounts and put values in end column but then under heading Total Moveable estate in Scotland add up all the accounts and also place this in the end column. That would mean putting in the values for the moveable estate twice in the end column.

Could you clarify that as I don't see how that can be correct as the end column will just automatically add everything in that column making the total claim huge.

Thanks again

• GSS20
    GSS20 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2021 at 7:37PM
    Options
    maxinput said:
    GSS20 said:n
    maxinput said:

Thanks
    Thanks for replying so quickly. 
    Under my point 2 ,you said that under heading Moveable estate in Scotland itemise accounts and put values in end column but then under heading Total Moveable estate in Scotland add up all the accounts and also place this in the end column. That would mean putting in the values for the moveable estate twice in the end column.

Could you clarify that as I don't see how that can be correct as the end column will just automatically add everything in that column making the total claim huge.

Thanks again

I will message you. It is correct though.
  • maxinput
    Options
    Thanks GS220 for the information you sent me. I am almost ready to send the C1 confirmation form in to the court after weeks making changes but I still have a couple of concerns that maybe you could help me with or any other user if they can advise me.   (I am using a fictional name in the examples)  

1.  Throughout the form I  have been referring to my mother as  Mrs Sandra Wilson because that is how she was described in the will.          Is that okay to refer to her like this or should I drop the Mrs  and just use her name.

2.  As I am only allowed to send the forms in to the court in Aberdeen they will be pre-signed and dated by me.  My docket for the will was going to be:

" This is the will referred to in my declaration of this date to the Inventory of the Estate of the late Mrs Sandra     Wilson
     Signed at Aberdeen on this date  __________       Signed  ____________"                                   

The date will be the same as in the application forms. 

It will not be signed in court so I just said Aberdeen and not Aberdeen sheriff court as the place of signature. The signature will be mine the executor.    Is there anything you think needs to be changed.

3.   My declaration was going to be:

"I_David Wilson the Executor-nominate and son of the said deceased residing at ******** formerly residing at ******** and along with daughter of said deceased 
    Mrs Sandra Wilson residing at *********  conform to the Will dated and signed ******** which is exhibited, docquetted and signed as relative herto; I confirm that I have never been married to or in a civil partnership with the said deceased" .

Do I need to put my mothers name after said deceased and can I drop the last line referring to married as seems odd if the deceased was my mother.

Any help appreciated.

• maxinput
    Options
    Ignore previous post as I missed out name of co executor

Thanks GS220 for the information you sent me. I am almost ready to send the C1 confirmation form in to the court after weeks making changes but I still have a couple of concerns that maybe you could help me with or any other user if they can advise me.   (I am using a fictional name in the examples)  

1.  Throughout the form I  have been referring to my mother as  Mrs Sandra Wilson because that is how she was described in the will.          Is that okay to refer to her like this or should I drop the Mrs  and just use her name.

2.  As I am only allowed to send the forms in to the court in Aberdeen they will be pre-signed and dated by me.  My docket for the will was going to be:

" This is the will referred to in my declaration of this date to the Inventory of the Estate of the late Mrs Sandra     Wilson
     Signed at Aberdeen on this date  __________       Signed  ____________"                                   

The date will be the same as in the application forms. 

It will not be signed in court so I just said Aberdeen and not Aberdeen sheriff court as the place of signature. The signature will be mine the executor.    Is there anything you think needs to be changed.

3.   My declaration was going to be:

"I_David Wilson the Executor-nominate and son of the said deceased residing at ******** formerly residing at ******** and along with daughter of said deceased Sharon Wilson residing at *********  conform to the Will dated and signed ******** which is exhibited, docquetted and signed as relative herto; I confirm that I have never been married to or in a civil partnership with the said deceased" .

Do I need to put my mothers name after said deceased and can I drop the last line referring to married as seems odd if the deceased was my mother.

Any help appreciated.
  • buddy9
    buddy9 Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My understanding is that the guidance used by the Scottish Court Service advises that the statement about not being married or in a civil partnership is not required, where the relationship between the executors and the deceased would exclude this possibility.
  • Broonie38
    Options
    I’m filling out C1 Confirmation & have put my mother’s first name as it was on birth certificate & death certificate but she was always known by an abbreviated form of that name & that is what she used in her Will & her bank account. The notes say I can put ‘also known as ….’ 
    Does anyone know if that goes on page 1 or page 2, q1 or both?
  • buddy9
    buddy9 Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If I wanted to include two first names I think I would enter - xxxxx also know as xx - against Q2 on page 1, and for page 2 (and the will docquet) include the full certificate name. 

This is just a personal view, non authoritative.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback