Grant of Confirmation

Options

Comments

• Treym
    Treym Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Morning all, this thread is amazing with detail that really does not exist anywhere on the web.  I have recently completed probate for my mothers estate in England, which was very straight forward.  Where as I am now approaching a grant of confirmation for a member of family on my wifes side and the process is insanely confusing.  I have a few questions if any one can help with;

1) Relationship - the will does not designate the relationship of the Executor, my wife, executor is the niece of a niece of the deceased.  If this relationship is not documented, can I leave it out of Paragraph 2?
    2) Shares - there are some shares held in Santander bank, which are spanish in origin, as the shares are owned in Scotland by the owner, are they listed as Scotland or other?
    3) Would anyone have a redacted copy of the C1 for a large estate they would kindly share as a base example?
    4) The property is only on the Sassine register, do I use the search sheet reference, as the sassine does not have the title reference that is held in the newer land registry.
    Thanks everyone for your support on this most complicated journey....
  • testershah
    testershah Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dear all
    I have received the following back from Edinburgh courts.
    1  Address of executor and deceased appear to be incomplete in the inventory
    2  Total for confirmation on various parts of the inventory band c5 do not agree
    3  We require the original will for commissary purposes, a copy of the will will not do.
    Can you advise how I can go about making sure everything is hunky dorey?  My guess is this that I check the address on the registered deed and copy from there make sure its all the same.  Ensure the original is enclosed this time and not a copy ! (rolls her eyes!)  Third I am not sure which of the boxes in all the forms need to be the exact same for amount.  I didn't enter the pence amount in a couple of boxes as it wouldn't allow me in the computer.  Do you think its ok for me to skip the pence amount and just state the totals?
    Thanks
    S
  • testershah
    testershah Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Following on from my previous post a bit of background my mum and dad were both married and my dad left everything to mum.  She is elderly and sole executor.  So I am helping her out with this.  As I said the court sent back the paper work saying 3 things as follows:
    1  Address of executor and deceased appear to be incomplete in the inventory
    2  Total for confirmation on various parts of the inventory band c5 do not agree
    3  We require the original will for commissary purposes, a copy of the will will not do.
    With regards to the first point.  Please can you advise here do I have to write something of the sort 
    Heritable state in Scotland
    Subjects Sarah Smith resident at Edinburgh 29 Albert road eh6 8pty being the subjects registered at Land registry of Scotland under title number  ___ on ___ date?

Sorry I am just trying to clarify how I am supposed to rectify this.

My wordings were as follows
    Subject at address.  Type house registered at land registry number on date ______.  So I didnt mention the names when listing the house in the inventory.  

Thanks  million
  • wilfred47
    Options
    My certificate of confirmation is in the post, thanks for all the information in this thread. 
  • Gillybilly_2
    Options
    @wilfred47 - great news.  My mum received her Confirmation last week. Slight delay as she hadn't signed the docquetted part of the will.  This thread and those that have been willing to share their experience and forms have saved my sanity... the C3 notes were helpful but this site answered most of my issues.  Thanks
  • FAB2021
    Options
    Heritable estate in Scotland- Property wording. 
    Would anyone be able to advise how to document the property/land on the inventory...do you just write the address and split into house and land separately or do you need to use special wording and include title deeds or land register info? Thanks in advance. 
  • Gillybilly_2
    Options
    I had screenshot this from this forum but cannot credit it to anyone, sorry.  I did not have heritable property for the inventory so have nothing personal to offer.  Hope this helps... 

• Skibunny40
    Skibunny40 Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Treym said:
    Morning all, this thread is amazing with detail that really does not exist anywhere on the web.  I have recently completed probate for my mothers estate in England, which was very straight forward.  Where as I am now approaching a grant of confirmation for a member of family on my wifes side and the process is insanely confusing.  I have a few questions if any one can help with;

1) Relationship - the will does not designate the relationship of the Executor, my wife, executor is the niece of a niece of the deceased.  If this relationship is not documented, can I leave it out of Paragraph 2?
    2) Shares - there are some shares held in Santander bank, which are spanish in origin, as the shares are owned in Scotland by the owner, are they listed as Scotland or other?
    3) Would anyone have a redacted copy of the C1 for a large estate they would kindly share as a base example?
    4) The property is only on the Sassine register, do I use the search sheet reference, as the sassine does not have the title reference that is held in the newer land registry.
    Thanks everyone for your support on this most complicated journey....
    Treym - did you ever find out how you need to list the Santander shares? I have a similar problem with Shell Royal Dutch Shares, which are listed on the London Stock Exchange but the Head Office is in the Netherlands.
  • armoured_bear
    Options
    I'm new so be gentle :)
    My dear dad just passed away in Scotland with a simple will (equal split between 3 sons) and me as executor. He owns his flat (worth 70-75K), has 3-4K in the bank and a life insurance policy worth 5K which will cover the funeral expenses. In the small flat, the only things of worth are an OLED TV, motorised recliner chair and a table and 4 chairs. The only other items are an old bed and sofa which must be worth very little.

As the estate is simple, I was planning on applying for confirmation myself and using a solicitor when necessary for the sale of the property. Is this sensible?
    Do I have to wait for confirmation before I donate dad's old clothes, the worthless furniture etc. to charity?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Gillybilly_2
    Gillybilly_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to this great forum... I was hoping that others with more knowledge than me would offer their advice.  I helped my mum with her husband's estate which was fairly straight forward, property passed to her automatically.  The items of very little value, clothing, furniture, etc I would get rid of without documenting.   If necessary you could lump it together  as personal  possessions with a nominal value.  Inheritance Tax doesn't seem to be an issue on the values you have provided,  so I would  think you will be very capable of completing 'Confirmation' yourself, with the advice on this site.  Forms C1 and C5 with the C3 notes to help you,  as it will be classed as a Large Estate.   I have to say I was totally lost until I found this forum and then read it all the way through, using screenshot for the items  I thought I would need to refer to. 
    Good luck, sorry for your loss. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure