Grant of Confirmation

Options

Comments

• buddy9
    buddy9 Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I presume that you need to apply for confirmation because NS&I has requested this before release of funds

1: Is NS&I situate in Scotland or England? - His interest-free certificate was .......
    I see that in Gers post above, premium bonds were listed as estate in Scotland. Perhaps this relates to the location of paper documents. I would have thought that NS&I accounts generally would show under moveables in England and Wales, but I have no personal experience.

2: His personal effects were sent to the tip, except a TV, radio and some books and pictures; furniture mostly belonged to NHS, anything else was tipped in the house clearance.  Maximum value (and I'm being very generous) £1k.  Do I give personal effects with a £1k value in the inventory?
    You would list household and personal effects and, in this case, give an estimated value. It is the open market value so £1k does seem generous. I would declare less than this if roughly accurate.

3: At the date of death he was due refunds from TV License, gas/electric company and BT, plus a state pension refund - do these get included/itemised in the inventory?
    Strictly, these should be listed in the inventory as stated in the C3 guidance form
    response shown in bold above

• Gillybilly_2
    Options
    I imagine that it is NS&I requiring confirmation as they have a very low payout threshold.  When I completed the forms this year I listed them under movable assets in England as their headquarters is listed in Sunderland.  

If you know the figures for refunds, I would add them in the appropriate columns.  The requirement for accuracy does seem to vary according to which area the forms are being submitted.  

I dotted every i and crossed every t just in case. It is a stressful and generally unfamiliar process to most people, however, I was very thankful to this thread and the contributors that helped me.

I believe there is no additional fee for submitting the forms if the estate is under £50000. Over that it's £200 +.  Worth bearing in mind if you are on the cusp of that figure and using estimates. 
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 December 2021 at 1:06PM
    Options
    I have checked the Confirmation grant sent by Glasgow Sheriff Court and NS&I premium bonds are definitely listed under moveable estate in Scotland.
    NS&I paid out to me without requiring Confirmation, however as I've said here before that's probably because I had been operating DM's account with them under my POA for a number of years.  I did have to upload my her will to their website.
    The court fee was £532.00 plus a £24.00 fee for three certificates, the estate was an excepted one.
    I didn't receive all the refunds until after Confirmation was applied for as the property had STC.  At least the figure for the sale was accurate.
    I also had to refund some part of DM's SP, again after Confirmation.
    I can only speak from my personal experience.

• SteveD31
    Options
    Thanks to the help from TcpnT and GSS20 I’m getting through the joys of filling out the C1 form.!
    a quick question which hopefully someone will have dealt with, in section 3 I have entered my wife who is the sole executor of the deceased estate but there is a large box further down which is to add in any other executors. There are none so do I leave this blank or what do I write? Thanks

• buddy9
    buddy9 Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the guidance notes say to leave blank if no other executor
  • SteveD31
    Options
    buddy9 said:
    the guidance notes say to leave blank if no other executor
    Thanks for the quick reply. I actually reread the guidance and found that bit of info too! Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
  • FranckD
    Options
    My sister passed away recently and I am named as Executor in her will. The prospect of filling the C1 and C5 forms was very daunting until I found this forum - now it's just quite daunting!  Like others have said before, a great thanks is due to the many  contributors who have shared their experiences to help guide the rest of us through the minefield.

My sister was divorced (for many years) and owned her house in a 50/50 split with her ex-husband. There is no survivorship destination in the title deeds (though divorce would have nulled that in any case). My sister is leaving her half-share of the property in a 50/50 split to her son and daughter. Her son (my nephew) lived with his mum and was her carer. He will continue to live in the house, at least for the time being, i.e. there's no immediate intention to sell. Given that my questions are:

1. Is there a requirement to get a 'formal' valuation of the property, e.g. by an estate agent, for Confirmation purposes if there is no immediate intention to sell? Would, for example, an Executor estimate based on the mid-point of a Zoopla estimate coupled with the price of a recently sold similar house in the same street be sufficient?  Apart from the house there isn't too much other value in my sister's estate and I even if underestimated the house value by £100K I still wouldn't touch the IHT threshold.

2. So far no organisation (banks, NS&I, credit card, etc.) has asked for Conformation, with a copy of death certification and ID being sufficient for them, so it's beginning to look like it's only to make the changes to the title deeds that I'll need it. This is slightly off topic but has anyone had any experience of getting title deeds changed (in Scotland) and can point me in the right direction? Or if I need to rush into making that change at this point in any case (if there's no immediate intention to sell).

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FranckD said:

1. Is there a requirement to get a 'formal' valuation of the property, e.g. by an estate agent, for Confirmation purposes if there is no immediate intention to sell? Would, for example, an Executor estimate based on the mid-point of a Zoopla estimate coupled with the price of a recently sold similar house in the same street be sufficient?  Apart from the house there isn't too much other value in my sister's estate and I even if underestimated the house value by £100K I still wouldn't touch the IHT threshold.
    the situation may be different in Scotland, but the reason to get a formal valuation at this stage would be for future potential Capital Gains Tax purposes. 

When the time comes to sell, if there has been sufficient change in the value of the property to trigger a CGT charge, having a formal valuation may save a good deal of grief.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Gillybilly_2
    Options
    I used your suggested method of property valuation for the Confirmation,  Zoopla and recent sales.  I was assisting my mum as she was Executor after her husband died, however there was a survivorship clause in place.  I have little knowledge of Capital Gains Tax, but if it is calculated on value at death, I can see the benefit of a formal valuation.  

Good luck. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, CGT is calculated on the difference in value between date of deatth and date of disposal. Everyone has an annual CGT allowance so it is not automatically due. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure