My wife's gone mad! (And now I know why!)

Options

Comments

• poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, yes, well, there is logic in there. Tying yourself into a contract which might not be transferable or which might not be needed if you move to an area with Virgin and their speedy little offering is available ;)would need to be avoided if you moved. So, I suspect she was working up to letting you in on her thoughts when you bowled in saying you were signing up for a new contract.

Most women mull over pros and cons before putting something out there, and that is probably what she was doing. I think it wasn't a question of not talking about it with you, just that she hadn't yet got to that place where she was ready to do so.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    Ah, yes, well, there is logic in there. Tying yourself into a contract which might not be transferable or which might not be needed if you move to an area with Virgin and their speedy little offering is available ;)would need to be avoided if you moved. So, I suspect she was working up to letting you in on her thoughts when you bowled in saying you were signing up for a new contract.

Most women mull over pros and cons before putting something out there, and that is probably what she was doing. I think it wasn't a question of not talking about it with you, just that she hadn't yet got to that place where she was ready to do so.

Well to be fair, we were already under contract with Sky for phone and broadband since we got bumped across due to the buyout of O2's phone and broadband business.

I'm not sure though, she saw this house a week ago and hadn't yet brought it up. She seemed convinced already that I'd say no, which is a bit harsh and it doesn't really seem like she'd done any planning to present to me to convince me - and believe me, she can do that. When she saw that cafe for sale next to her other business she jumped in there and had plans drawn up within a day.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    To be quite honest, I'm more concerned that every now and again she gets something into her head and stews over it rather than discuss it with me. It makes me feel like she thinks I'm difficult to talk to or highly negative.

I have never understood the logic of women who stew on things, rather than just turn to their partner and attempt to talk things through. That approach does nothing to resolve any issues or problems, in fact it tends to almost always add to them. It must be every bit as frustrating to live with, as when you ask 'What's the matter' and get a 'nothing' response, when it is very clear something is up. From how you generally speak of your wife, you two seem to have a lovely relationship. Just try telling her how you feel and see if you can agree to handle things differently from now.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • poet123
    Options
    Was she stewing or was she mulling? That is the question!

I mull, I never stew.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    marisco wrote: »
    I have never understood the logic of women who stew on things, rather than just turn to their partner and attempt to talk things through. That approach does nothing to resolve any issues or problems, in fact it tends to almost always add to them. It must be every bit as frustrating to live with, as when you ask 'What's the matter' and get a 'nothing' response, when it is very clear something is up. From how you generally speak of your wife, you two seem to have a lovely relationship. Just try telling her how you feel and see if you can agree to handle things differently from now.

Perhaps she just enjoys my bemusement?

Because of who she is I tend not to press her too much. I gather that she inevitably tells me in the end though yes, it is a little frustrating when I'm left pondering what I've done wrong now for a day or more.

I mull, I never stew.

I'm inclined to say stew because she decided for me that I'd say no. A mull would be more considering my potential responses and planning accordingly.
  • MrsDrink
    MrsDrink Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    decided to skip that part of the discussion and go straight into mardy mode at my refusal to consider her proposal which I hadn't even heard.

:whistle: I'd never do that :whistle:
    :rotfl:
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As a woman I tend to 'stew' on things because I feel I can get over emotional on things that dont matter - I know full well that a problem today is forgotten tomorrow, so rather then have a big discussion about it I leave it a day or two and if it's still bugging me then I feel it's important to mention it.

I wish hormones didn't exist I really do :D
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I mull, I never stew.

I can think of some things about which the stewing makes steam come out of your ears! ;)
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So, does the house have room for the mini Tropez?
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • poet123
    Options
    itsanne wrote: »
    I can think of some things about which the stewing makes steam come out of your ears! ;)

Can you? I usually act not stew, then I may mull....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure