My wife's gone mad! (And now I know why!)

Options
Tropez
Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
EDIT: Post 70 gives the explanation for why my darling wife has been a bit prickly lately.

Okay, maybe that is slightly overstating things but I'm beginning to think she's been loitering around here and picking up some bad habits from the thrifty among you.

Now that she's mostly all better she seems to have turned into a bit of a loony. I think her time injured has given her waaaaay too much access to the Interwebz.

I'm getting fibre optic installed (finally!) and when she enquired as to the cost I told her it was £40 a month (I may have gone for the 76Mbps package...). Oh dear me, you'd think I'd just told her I was spending £1,000 a month on hookers. Bear in mind I'm paying for this (we don't do the joint finances except for household essentials) but it still didn't go down well.

"Waste of money... yada yada"

I attempted to point out that with the large files *we both* download and the amount of on-demand television we've taken to watching it could actually save money in the long-term because there would be no need to leave computers on overnight to download, which would reduce the electricity bill. As it stands, if we want to watch something on Netflix, we cannot download anything at the same time (crappy, crappy connection) so it ends up being the case that the computer is left on for eight hours - and even then sometimes it hasn't finished downloading!

She wasn't buying that...

Then I had a few new clothes delivered this morning. She wasn't impressed about that either. Apparently I have more clothes than her; I'm not convinced this is true based on the way closet space is allocated and I definitely don't have more shoes than her. I even bought her a couple of items but that wasn't saving me.

And she's had a moan about other things I spend money on too.

This hasn't been a row or anything, she just suddenly seems very touchy about how I spend my cash. I did contemplate whether I missed her birthday or something but having checked my files I'm in the clear on that one.

So...

A) Own up. Which one of you has turned her into a crazy person? I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

B) Does it really only take a few months after marriage for people to go nuts? She was quite normal this time last year - well as normal as someone in a relationship with me can be.

C) Is it too late to change my name to Santiago Henrique Munoz and move to Mexico?

D) Is it wise to point out that my mobile bill is less than £15 a month (booyah Tesco!) and I got us free line rental for a year on the home phone, while she is spending closer to £50 a month on her phone? My brain says go for it but my nipples scream no.

E) Shall I just pay for her to go to a spa for a weekend, or back to New Zealand for six months to calm down?

Comments

• marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to married life. Your honeymoon period is now officially over! :rotfl:
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I find one gets 'careful' about their partner's money when they're skint! Also, if they wouldn't buy whatever their OH has bought, they think it's a waste of money. Funny how I'll buy myself tops, go out for lunch, buy wine and generally do what I want, but on the rare occasion the BF asks for a few beers, I'll be saying we'll have to cut back/go without something else :p

Women ;)

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • trolleyrun
    trolleyrun Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    F) give her more painkillers ;)
  • squidge60
    squidge60 Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I need to show this to oh he doesnt know how lucky he is. :rotfl:
  • Tropez
    Options
    marisco wrote: »
    Welcome to married life. Your honeymoon period is now officially over! :rotfl:

What honeymoon period? :(
    hazyjo wrote: »
    I find one gets 'careful' about their partner's money when they're skint! Also, if they wouldn't buy whatever their OH has bought, they think it's a waste of money. Funny how I'll buy myself tops, go out for lunch, buy wine and generally do what I want, but on the rare occasion the BF asks for a few beers, I'll be saying we'll have to cut back/go without something else :p

Women ;)

Jx

Well I do know she's not skint but she does seem to think everything's a waste of money.
    trolleyrun wrote: »
    F) give her more painkillers ;)

Interesting idea...
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    Well I do know she's not skint but she does seem to think everything's a waste of money.

Ah, but do you think it's a waste of money when she buys hair stuff, face stuff, washes, six different types of hair washing stuff, shoes for every occasion when you have just two in the wardrobe, scented 'things', drawers full of 'handy stuff' (or is all that just me lol).

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Definitely don't do D! A million times no!!

I get stressed at what OH spends at times, but I think it's more as I earn a lot less than him so I have to be more sensibe with my money.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmmm how to break this to you gently.....

Is there any chance you might be hearing the patter of tiny feet in the not too distant future? Early pregnancy and all those raging hormones can turn otherwise normally calm, sensible and level headed women more than a little irrational.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • Frugalbride
    Options
    [My brain says go for it but my nipples scream no./B]

Ha ha!
    Re: B. I went a bit like this before marriage so Mr FB knew what he was getting into! The desire to save a huge deposit for a house and afford maternity leave meant my poor husband was quizzed over everything.

(I may still be like this)

I wouldn't pay for a spa unless you book it through quidco, have got it at a bargain rate or done something to offset the cost. ;)
  • Tropez
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Ah, but do you think it's a waste of money when she buys hair stuff, face stuff, washes, six different types of hair washing stuff, shoes for every occasion when you have just two in the wardrobe, scented 'things', drawers full of 'handy stuff' (or is all that just me lol).

Jx

I honestly don't care what she spends her money on. She runs two businesses so I figure whatever she wants to do with what she makes is her choice.

That said, I don't think she does need quite as much make-up because I think she's fallen for this media-promoted horsecrap that women need make-up to be attractive but I don't actually care whether she buys it or not.
    GBNI wrote: »
    Definitely don't do D! A million times no!!

I get stressed at what OH spends at times, but I think it's more as I earn a lot less than him so I have to be more sensibe with my money.

But it's soooooo tempting!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport