»

Pruhealth gym loophole Article Discussion - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Pruhealth gym loophole Article Discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
1.7K replies 222.4K views

Replies

• nickmacknickmack Forumite
    4.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    jtcowie wrote: »
    Can it really be true that if you take advantage of the points system in Pru's Vitality Activities programme you can reduce your premium to NOTHING from the second year onwards???? They told me on the phone that you need to get 2,000 points to get to Platinum status which equals a premium reduction of 100%. Well, having looked at the list of activities which you can get points on, it's not that difficult...especially if you are joining Pru to get the free gym membership and will therefore be going regularly anyway.

I get PruHealth as part of my employment package and I understand you can also get premium reductions with ther Vitality points. I choose to get cashback, so last year I got £200 for being a silver member.

You can boost points, by answering some questions online which doesn't take too long. Declaring yourself to be a non-smoker, wearing a pedometer and defining an eating plan also get you points.
  • jtcowie wrote: »
    Can it really be true that if you take advantage of the points system in Pru's Vitality Activities programme you can reduce your premium to NOTHING from the second year onwards???? They told me on the phone that you need to get 2,000 points to get to Platinum status which equals a premium reduction of 100%. Well, having looked at the list of activities which you can get points on, it's not that difficult...especially if you are joining Pru to get the free gym membership and will therefore be going regularly anyway.

Have I misunderstood something or are the Pru banking on people signing up but not being motivated to go to the gym, etc?

Any views on this would be most welcome. Thank you.

JT - An example of how the vitality scheme works.

Year 1 (starts 01.01.2006) - Premium of £100
    Year 2 (01.01.2007) - Premium of £150 - because I am older and am more likely to breakdown!

Ok, if I reached platinum status in year one then 100% of that years premium can be put towards the following years i.e I will only pay £50.

Does that help?
  • hbc1981hbc1981 Forumite
    58 posts
    Hi,

My question is can I have two healthcare providers?

I have pre-existing medical conditions and these are covered (at least in part) by a BUPA policy.

Can I set up a Pruhealth policy as well just for gym membership? Will this invalidate my BUPA cover?

(I'm already a member of LA Fitness with a good deal, so would have to see if the BUPA deal saved me anything anyway)

Thanks
  • The post gives little info on how to sign up to this offer. the link to pruhealth leads me to fill a form to get a quote, but when I submit this it goes nowhere, maybe there web site is getting too many visits? If I can get beyond this how to get th frwee gymn membership? The pruhealth site gives no reference to this. Anyone able to help?
  • Does anyone know if the Canons in the city (Canon Street) is excluded from this offer as it was last time and is the only Canons nearby. Thanks
  • tillboytillboy Forumite
    268 posts
    Does anyone know if the Canons in the city (Canon Street) is excluded from this offer as it was last time and is the only Canons nearby. Thanks

Is it this one :

CityCousin Lane, London, EC4R 3XJ
    Tel: 020 7283 0101

it's on the list - http://www.pruhealth.co.uk/medical_insurance/vitality/partners/exercise/cannons.jhtml
  • suze23suze23 Forumite
    6 posts
    I signed up to this Pruhealth deal in November for a VA gym in North London. I got it via Quidco, getting £115 cashback, and with that included I'm making a saving of £485 in the first year. Now it seems I'll get even more money by saving my insurance premium with the new changes (see Martin's article posted today 5th July). Bear in mind I don't need health insurance - I purely use it for the gym.

For those who haven't done this - your membership is with Pruhealth NOT Virgin Active so you deal with Pru over the phone (all fairly efficient friendly people). You don't get a standard welcome pack with free sunbed tokens as you would if you joined VA direct, but with all that spare cash it makes no odds.

I much prefer VA to the local gyms and in fact, STUART HAMILTON, I get a cheaper deal with this than I do going to my local YMCA or council gym. £7 a month cheaper in fact! The changing rooms are constantly being cleaned and there's free shampoo etc. I can even have my own locker for £5 a month to save me lugging my gym kit around. I clock up Vitality points as much as possible which will bring my premium down next year. WIN WIN!

And my local council gym don't offer Hula Hoop classes!

Highly recommended if the £££ add up.

Suze.
  • icecoolbabeicecoolbabe Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I don't understand why Martin has to emphasise in the updated article that people don't actually need to use the gym - just swipe the card.

Surely the whole point of the offer IS to use the gym and get fitter and healthier so you never have to claim on the insurance.

Highlighting easy and lazy ways to remain unfit is of no benefit at all to the user.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving Expert MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Martin has to emphasise in the updated article that people don't actually need to use the gym - just swipe the card.

Surely the whole point of the offer IS to use the gym and get fitter and healthier so you never have to claim on the insurance.

Highlighting easy and lazy ways to remain unfit is of no benefit at all to the user.

I think you misunderstand what's written. Remember there's no point in gettting this offer if you don't use a gym - its far cheaper not too. What I highlight is the fact that if you're slightly short of the required use - there's a way to ensure you don't pay more

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • DunceDunce Forumite
    6 posts
    INSERT. NOW READ THE FULL DETAILED ARTICLE

I currently pay £55 a month for VA. I just got the insurance for ~15 a month and £5 gym (same VA branch). Also got got £115 quidco. Nets down to about £11 a month for gym and insurance. Saving of about £530 a year! GET IN!

Thanks Martin.

I do have one question, I chose the "Standard Tier 1 club membership" - does this allow me to use the gym at any time of day, or just off peak?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support