Options
articlealert.gif
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the
To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

Comments

• fluffyhelen
    fluffyhelen Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    This would be great if LA Fitness weren't so terrible! It took me AGES and £150 to get out of my membership.

>.<
  • Sillychuckie
    Sillychuckie Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can someone please explain the process of getting through the Gym doors once the insurance policy is in place?
    Do you go along to the Gym with policy details and ask to sign up without a charge?

The article doesn't explain much beyond the point of signing up to pru health.
    Thanks.
  • doncaah
    Options
    I've a pre existing medical condition, have excellent life insurance through work and quit the fags a year ago. If I answered the questions accurately on the quick quote site, I'd be faced with a high premium and no benefit over a standard membership.

HOWEVER, if I provide the answers I know will give me the lowest premium and assume I will never ever make a claim, would I be able to take advantage of this loophole?

My slightly twisted reasoning is below:-
    I'd never claim so PRUHEALTH keeps the money, as it would for a healthy individual - RESULT1
    I'd get a cheap deal for the gym - RESULT2
    LA Fitness's deal with Pruhealth is seen to be delivering results, though increased active membership - RESULT3

Happy to be told I'm an evil genius or unethical scammer, just would like an opinion please.
  • kingkano
    kingkano Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can someone please explain the process of getting through the Gym doors once the insurance policy is in place?
    Do you go along to the Gym with policy details and ask to sign up without a charge?

The article doesn't explain much beyond the point of signing up to pru health.
    Thanks.

When I did this last year for Holmes place (now virgin active) it was all done through pruhealth. They had a phone number to call, then they sent you out a membership card (a special pruhealth gym one). Until then I just gave my name at the desk and they buzzed me through.

It was good this as I never had the problem of trying to cancel through the gym, as some say this is a nightmare. I just called pruhealth line and said dont want it anymore and they cancelled it. There is a 30 day notice period tho after the 6mths or something.

doncaah Id be a bit cautious here. Its probably still fraud if you lie about your state of health. I can see your reasoning though ;)
  • stuart_hamilton_2
    Options
    Please don't be conned by this 'deal'. If you go along to a real independant gym, i.e. one not by these money making factories you can join with a full membership for between £20 and £30 per month and they will not make you jump through hoops or continually attack you with salesmen trying to sell you up with 'personal training' sessions with their barely qualified gym instructors.

Please keep away from the chains and go to a real gym. Save money, get real service and actually make some progress for all the work you put in.
  • ianH_2
    ianH_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I would not recommend virgin gyms to anyone. the facilities are great, but when we tried to leave they were a complete nightmare.
    staff gave us wrong info about dates for ending our contract. would not accept that we were moving out of area and were extremely unhelpful. eventually they sent a debt agency after us to pay for not using the gym which we had tried to leave in accordance with the instructions given by the desk staff (it's a long story......)
    Read the small print, read it again, this is all they will tell you..:mad::mad:
  • jtcowie
    jtcowie Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Can it really be true that if you take advantage of the points system in Pru's Vitality Activities programme you can reduce your premium to NOTHING from the second year onwards???? They told me on the phone that you need to get 2,000 points to get to Platinum status which equals a premium reduction of 100%. Well, having looked at the list of activities which you can get points on, it's not that difficult...especially if you are joining Pru to get the free gym membership and will therefore be going regularly anyway.

Have I misunderstood something or are the Pru banking on people signing up but not being motivated to go to the gym, etc?

Any views on this would be most welcome. Thank you.
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I already have a Pruhealth policy paid for by work - so does anyone know if I can join Cannons and get 'free' gym membership, or do I have to pay £25 a month? The Pruhealth website isn't very clear on this...

Thanks,
    Saz
    4 May 2010 <3
  • urbanlegend11
    urbanlegend11 Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    Please don't be conned by this 'deal'. If you go along to a real independant gym, i.e. one not by these money making factories you can join with a full membership for between £20 and £30 per month and they will not make you jump through hoops or continually attack you with salesmen trying to sell you up with 'personal training' sessions with their barely qualified gym instructors.

Please keep away from the chains and go to a real gym. Save money, get real service and actually make some progress for all the work you put in.

Im a member of virgin active and have never been made to jump through hoops or once been approached by a saleman about personal training so dont be put off by these comments.I find it a very relaxed atmosphere and its very family minded(the wife and kids are all members too) so i enjoy going down regularly with the whole family.ive been to the smaller independant gyms before and generally found them filled with steroid pumping numb skulls
  • tchoklat
    tchoklat Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I can't find the option where you choses the excess. It just gave me a quote on very basic questions.
    Also couldn't find any information on the PruHealth site about this offer. I can't find the bit which tells you how much to join the Virgin Active clubs.
    I have phoned Pru up but have to wait for an advisor to call back before 8pm.
    Anyone know?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport