🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Starting over again- Take 2

Options

Comments

• Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks Nannytomany Im thinking so too:D

Havent really checked in for a little while, havent jumped off the mse wagon just not so much to report, need a cash injection from somewhere so have been working on that, was looking into bar work yesterday as a second job...really need to do something. Had dinner with my friend and her husband (@their home) couple of nights back was telling them about my goal really helped to share and really motivated me, they were really encouraging and I was really grateful for their support. Havent been spending just making anything have pulled the purse strings tight have just been making small daily payments of £1/£2 my accounts.

Have downloaded Dave Ramsey pod cast & debt free screms and have taken to listening to them daily, trying to tips on how other people get there...Where they have gone im following lol!

Okies i best get to work, hoping to have a good day....hope everyone else does too :D X
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks Shelbi. Have been a little AWOL so just catching up. You are really motivating me to think about that second income. :)
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • Trixxibell
    Trixxibell Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hiya Shelbi,

Just read your diary in one sitting very inspirational, your are doing fantastic! Keep up the good work xx
    3rd LBM July 2014: Debt [STRIKE]£31,416.68[/STRIKE] Down To: [STRIKE] £23,403.43[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]15th July: £25,709.83[/STRIKE] 26th March: £31,229.68
    CC £0 :j WFTC £1660, SLC £6600, Car £18,654, Emergency Fund £1,000 :T
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya Trixxibell:hello::hello:, Thank you so much for the encouragement and stopping by to say hello...Im so sorry I thought I had typed a message to you before I went on the missing list, so sorry about the delay my dear :o x
    NSD November 2/30
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ok so an update, hen do went off with out a glitch, we all had a good time and i stayed within my €200 budget infact I still have €10 in my purse, first time for everything. Had a wonderful time, though was a bit hasty with getting into the spirit (literally) and was very poorly for a night and day, hair of the dog wasnt an option. Can honestly say I wont be drinking for a loooong time:o

Had a shock today came home checked my account & saw i was overdrawn, in my haste paid the rent from the wrong account:doh::wall: not pleased so thats 4 days worth of charges I think, such a waste of money:( Other than that took traqin to work as I literally slept 3.5hours before having to get there, I couldnt cycle if I tried. Have been missing MSE and its time to get back to task, whilst I had an amazing time we worked out that the hen cost for me was around £700 (all in-transfers, flights, hotel, spends) have no idea how it got that far....all I know is that nomore of my friends can get married till im out of debt, unless its me & of course my hen will be a garden tea party, complete with bunting cause i'm rock & roll like that!:rotfl:

Was a laugh, beautiful place & I got a wonderful tan so im happy there, will be my last holiday for a while, unless work happens to send me somewhere....Nothing much else to report... Just waiting for payday, borrowed my brother some money, it was an emergency so have to replenish my emergency fund on payday a bit. on the plus side I did manage to turn my mother down who wanted me to book a summer holiday for her & my sis & she'll pay me back through out the year. I very calmly explained that I was £22k in debt and unwilling to dig further in for her holiday...she had the hump for an afternoon but got over it. Some progress made I guess. Worked out Ive paid for 3 of my family holidays as I never wanted them to miss out & always felt guilty about taking one myself. I just cant do it any more. So I was straight and just said no. Just need to learn to say it more often I guess :)...........

Anyway that's about as much as I have to report on my so called life...cannot wait to pay day to get the ball rolling again.:j

Be back soon won't leave it so long ;)...good night x
    NSD November 2/30
  • nannytomany
    Options
    well done for being strong Shelbi, your family have got used to you bailing them out, its very hard to be strong but you did it, x
    Because someone we love is in Heaven There is a little piece of Heaven in our Home :A

Goal towards £600/$1000 emergency fund: £78.00
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks Nannytomany:D, I did my best though I think is spoke to soon as last night my darling mother asked me if id received a message from my aunt, I said no and asked if there was anything wrong. She told me my aunt had found a great deal online only £1200 and had sent it to me to look at, incase id changed my mind:rotfl: (all sheepish and sulky)...I cant lie took every bit of strength not to get annoyed (not that i shout/disrepect her ever- My darling mother gave me life & I know she wouldn't be afraid to take it back :rotfl: ...So once again I had to explained that there will be no holiday, im paying back 22k and I wont be changing my mind....I have a feeling this wont be the end of it, but im not going to budge:D

In other news its Payday yesterday :j:j:j my favourite day of the month, yesterday I spent time working on August budget which I will upload later, found a great template on excel so populated that (its sad how much i love doing that)... Signed up for shine walk- 26miles- I wont be raising money but have considered the £35 booking fee as this months charity donation, will also tithe on September Salary. Ive decided Im going to tithe this month, even in my situation I still consider myself very blessed. so will be tithing 10%, I dont actually belong to any church, so I will give the money to people/charities who I think need it..heard a great quote, "youre never so poor that you have nothing to give"..it resonated with me.
    Dave Ramsey what have you done to me! fist stop my beloved food bank, will donate some to them today.

Have cancelled my cineworld dd and my mobile bill this month was -0.39p, should be £12 per month, im due an upgrade Monday so will be hoping to get a new phone...and trade in the old for a few quid.

I need to top up my emergency fund this month, & sell some things on the bay of the e, will do that later.

Have already spent my monthly shopping budget, I ordered online so could watch my spends and got £10 cash back form squidco, though wont receive that for a while, have some purse change for topups but freezer is full so Im happy, also ordered and collected it so no delievery charge, but no wondering around the shop picking up things I dont want or need....its genius!! how i didnt know about this I dont know.

Cant think of anything else to report just yet, will update my signature later....wishing you all a wonderful &happy day x
    NSD November 2/30
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 27 July 2014 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Stay strong Shelbi, it's your money/debt. I won't ask why they can't put £1200 on a credit card themselves. But at least you are keeping them out of debt by not loaning them anything. I can't wait to get rid of the credit cards, then they are being cut up, except for an emergency one which will be frozen in ice.

Why don't they start saving for next years holiday £100 a month then they won't have this issue. It really isn't your problem and who needs to go away with weather like this. :question:

I haven't seen anything of Dave Ramsey yet, but have heard good things. :)

ps it's fine to just say 'I can't afford it right now', it's no ones business what you do with your money. My BIL used to say I can't afford it (it did used to puzzle me, but I've recently realised that's MSE speak for it's not on my budget).
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • MinnyMoo
    MinnyMoo Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Shelbi, well done on the successful hen weekend and also massive high five for having the strength to say no to your family. Keep it up I know you can do it, you've come so far already, in such a short space of time too.
    Love this thread, it's keeping me coming back to this forum. I've not started sorting my financial mess out but I'm getting closer.
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Supersaver1000 & MinnyMoo,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, I really truely appreciate it!! It helps me know im doing the right thing and stick to my guns. Spoke with my mum and planted the seed of saving to pay for it herself next year...I cant help but feel abit guilty as I used to do everything but since I started this there have been so many cut backs id give government a good run for there money...possible career path there maybe...I guess its an adjustment for all of us. But you're right Supersaver1000 I shouldnt feel bad and have planted the suggestion that they save each month for it...(hope it grows)... Big hugs for that one!! Thank you!!!...Love the frozen in ice idea, id have done the same but i already hacked at mine...still need to call and cancel the cleared one (kind of enjoy a statement coming through that says £0.00 its motivating.

Dave Ramsey is a preacher who teaches how to do money a different way, its a bit full on but Its great for motivation, his audio book is on youtube if you have time should check it out, certainly made me think of a few things differently... You know I cant afford it right now may just become my new phrase..I like that, just need to practice saying it more often..that and no Lol

Minnymoo Thank you so much, knowing people read my ramblings really encourages me to carry on and stick to it (though ive been slacking with the diary updates recently)...will check in more and keep on track...Massive thank you!! Hey keep up the good work, every step closer is a win...hardest part really is getting started...You can do it MinnieMoo...come join us!....

Ok I best go as its tomorrow already, so will update my shananigans later today...Goodnight x
    NSD November 2/30
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing